• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sprint LG G3- deep trouble after flashing wrong rom

jogandrioad

Lurker
Apr 7, 2016
Hi, fellow forum users. I need your help.
So here is what happen to my phone, I end up flashing the new limited dual 4.0 ( lg g5 based rom for lg g3) and didn’t realize it was for model d855. So basically, I bricked my phone bad by installing a wrong model rom. My model is LS990, where as the rom I accidently flashed was D855. It is essentially in fastboot mode.

Here is what I tried. I can only get my phone into download mode. I used lg flashtool to flash the ls990 tot and original dll file (LGLS990_20140704_LGFLASHv160.dll). However, it didn’t go well as lg flashtool gave me error saying MODEL CHANGED.
Furthermore, then i came across a post where username "iowabowtech" mentions about editing the tot file with hexeditor. So this is the part where I am stuck now. I have to change the tot file LS990 to D855 somehow to trick the lgflashtool into flashing it, please help me on this part. Check the attached image to see if I am doing it right.

Afterward, iowabowtech suggested to use that hexedited modifed tot along with a LGUP_8974.dll (univeral dll for all lg phones).

Attachments

• Hexeditor- lgg3ls990.GIF
    Hexeditor- lgg3ls990.GIF
    73.6 KB · Views: 298
  • originalsource1.GIF
    originalsource1.GIF
    183.5 KB · Views: 274
  • originalsource2.GIF
    originalsource2.GIF
    229.6 KB · Views: 328
  • originalsource3.GIF
    originalsource3.GIF
    170.3 KB · Views: 259
You only edit the first instance. The one that starts VLGLS. You need to edit out the LS and make that a D followed by 855. Since LS990 has 5 characters and D855 only has four characters, you need to make the zero (0) in LS990 <-- a blank, which should show up as a dot or "period" in that right hand column of the hexeditor.

In other words, you start with..
LS990

And you end up with..
D855.

Reactions: jogandrioad
Upvote 0
Ooh sounds familiar. I have a client with a G2 with the same kind of issue but his is a d800 and he flashed some t-mobile rom and the model changed to a d801. He flashed the d801 firmware and now wants to go back to the d800 firmware.
So all things said. Would i edit the d801 tot or the d800 tot? Can i do this on Windows? I do have Linux on a flash drive if not

Upvote 0
Ooh sounds familiar. I have a client with a G2 with the same kind of issue but his is a d800 and he flashed some t-mobile rom and the model changed to a d801. He flashed the d801 firmware and now wants to go back to the d800 firmware.
So all things said. Would i edit the d801 tot or the d800 tot? Can i do this on Windows? I do have Linux on a flash drive if not
Yes Bro- u will have to modify the orignal tot with d800, yes i am using windows and it worked for me.

Upvote 0

What jog said. You use the tot for the device he actually owns. Then you edit to the model that he inadvertently flashed. So he'll want to use a D800 tot and hexedit to D801 to allow it to flash back to D800 firmware.

Congrats @jogandrioad on getting your phone back into shape.

Reactions: James L
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones