• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint systems slow/down?

This is absolutely ridiculous. If they knew there was such a demand for it (touting that 1.2 million people pre-registered/pre-ordered) then they should've been ready for this. There is absolutely no excuse to launch a phone on a Friday and expect people to wait all day to get activated. I'm going to a Sprint store to get mine shortly and if it doesn't activate quickly, I'm going to tell them to keep it. I'll just order online and get it next week instead. I'm not spending half my day in a store waiting on a system that should've been ready to meet the demand ahead of time.

Sounds good to me, you sure will tell them... :rolleyes:
why not just tell them to keep it and go to another carrier, sounds even better. One less person clogging up the system. People cry about the $10, people cry about system being hit all at once, yet they stay with Sprint and get the phone...
Sprints getting hit with couple hundred thousand credit checks all starting @ 9am, couple hundred thousand activations, then couple hundred thousand updates to phone all at the same time.. There isnt ANY carrier that hasnt had the same issue when phone like this comes out.

Upvote 0
I agree kinda.... Many times when a phone comes out it's not offered up for pre-order.. In this case it was and Sprint was well aware of the number of pre-orders that existed...

Slight bumps in the road... OK.... The disaster they currently have going on? Not OK...

But you are correct I will wait till my port goes through, I will love the device and will forget all about this MAJOR disaster that they knew was coming....

Upvote 0
I'm up in Seattle and am having similar problems. I got into the store at 645, and I had to leave at 930 when they were having problems getting through the servers. I think in the 2.5 hours I was in the store, out of three registers, they activated 5, maybe 6 of the EVOs. Time to find a good excuse for being late to work.

Upvote 0
8am appointment at Torrance BB, system was inacessable for 20 minutes or so and then broke loose. This phone must be cranking big numbers to bog things down. About an hour in all to walk out....GREAT staff..OS upgraded right there.

It is Evolicious to say the least. So far I can turn it on and off hahaha.

Everything to learn here.

Upvote 0
Got my Evo this morning from Radio Shack... porting my number over from Tmobile. Its 1:00pm right now and i'm still receiving calls on my tmobile phone. The radio shack guys told me i can't even turn on my phone until the number is ported. this is torture.

Same here both my iPhones are waiting to be ported... BB told me they can't turn the devices on until the numbers port.... Been waiting since 9am... BB told me they have 4 hours to complete the port and if it's not done by 1 to come back and they will see what they can do....

This is NOT a good start to my relationship with Sprint.... Once my EVO's are in hand I am sure I will forgive....

Upvote 0
I just got back from RS. I waited for about 40 minutes, the rep got all the way through the online process and had only one more screen to go...then the system blew up. Insult to injury, since he already started the process, the lady he got on the phone (to activate another phone) wasn't able to do anything w/ my phone since we started the online process already.

Now I'm back at work, pissed, and without the EVO.

Keep ****in' that chicken Sprint...how about you throw a few grand into a couple more servers to handle the load?

Upvote 0
The Sprint system slowness is everywhere. I was in line at 7:30 for an 8am opening -- #14 in line. From the sign in sheet, I was the only one getting more than 1. It looked like several people left without a phone, but I walked out with my 2 at 10:01. Once my name was called, it took the guy about 50 mins to hook me up. He had to start the process over 4 times because of system freezes (his words).

All in all, can't complain because at least I got an evo for myself and my girlfriend. Sucks that I had to go from a $59.99/mo plan for both the old centros combined, to $79.99/mo each for the new evos. Doesn't look like my old corporate discount carried over - the guy told me to call customer service about that because he could tell I was tired of waiting.

Then he actually told me "I know I wasn't much help and didn't really do anything, but you'll be getting a survey call and I'd appreciate it if you tell them I was awesome." (his exact words as near as I can recall) Whatever. He couldn't help me sign into gmail. Couldn't answer my question about the hdmi cable. Couldn't help me with my corporate discount. Couldn't get the screen protector on without a billion bubbles which I can't reapply until tonight since I dropped the 2nd screen protector with cleaning cloth for my girlfriend before heading to work. I didn't realise that the bubbles would leave little spots on the screen -- thought I could just reapply the screen protector once I got to my desk. Not sure if I'm just going to skip the survey altogether or give them my honest negative feedback. The system issues weren't his fault, but not being useful for anything except taking my money is.

<off soapbox>
my $0.02 anyways,
will

Oh yeah... They did wheel doughnuts and bottled water through the line while we were waiting which was cool of them. Points for that.

The bubbles aren't from the new screen protector. There's already a screen protector on there. F'ing Sprint. WTF. They're selling people screen protectors when there's already one on there. Doesn't look like your typical clear plastic film on all new electronics. Looks like the same quality as the one they sold me. A$$holes

Upvote 0
Just got off the phone with Sprint Support. They said that the system is slowed down and there are problems with people who are porting their lines over. He said that my radio shack order was not completed in the system, and that he was going to push the order through and then give me a call back when I was OK to turn on my phone. So if you are porting over and still having issues, I called 1-888-211-4727.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones