• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Startup sequence initiates randomly. More and more frequently

Hey guys. I've used google to some extent to find a solution to my problem. But I haven't been able to pinpoint to 100 percent certainty what is, and what will fix my problem. The problem is at random times my phone will go through the startup sequence without being restarted. It won't indicate it was ever shutting down but will suddently start playing the startup animations. It then searches for service, yada yada, the regular. My question is, why does this happen? Is it the phone updating itself, or is it an operating system error? I hardly have any apps installed. I have facebook, gmail, call control, banko f america, google voice, maps, mp3 ringtome maker, trapster, & youtube. Also the android market which I'm pretty sure is standard issue.

What to do?
I just bought the phone about 4 days ago from radio shack. Did not get the extended warranty. So obviously I have a limited time frame.

Try some troubleshooting steps before you take the phone back. Do a factory reset of the phone, and when you get finished do not install any apps on the phone other than letting the default ones update from the Market. Run the phone without extra apps for awhile and see if you still have the same issue.

If the phone still has the same issue after following the troubleshooting steps above, then take the phone back and get a new one.

Upvote 0
Phone just did it again. I have just noticed it goes through the whole startup sequence like the other phone was doing. It searches for service, prepares the memory card, etc.

I am thinking of exchanging this phone for the other android phone available on Virgin Mobile's network. Because this problem is annoying me!!!

Upvote 0
My optimus V hasn't ever done this. However, it seems that there's a fix-all fail-safe 'technique' that has always fixed things on Virgin Mobile phones for me. My old phone (Kyocera Switchback) used to do this ALL THE TIME. What fixed it was to turn off the phone, take out the battery, and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in and turn the phone on. This is advice direct from Customer Service, and they've always said to do this when there's ever any problems, and it seems to work a majority of the time.

So do that, see if it fixes the problem for you.

Upvote 0
You using the new Market app? One reason, among many, that I don't like the new one is it causes my phone to get hot when I updated apps. I've been using AppBrain coupled with Fast Web Install to keep my apps updated and have not had any heating issues.

I've no idea if this is your issue..... just tossing ideas out there. Hopefully sooner or later we'll do enough troubleshooting to narrow down the cause.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones