1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Startup sequence initiates randomly. More and more frequently

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by michaelwoodcoc, Aug 30, 2011.

1. michaelwoodcoc

Hey guys. I've used google to some extent to find a solution to my problem. But I haven't been able to pinpoint to 100 percent certainty what is, and what will fix my problem. The problem is at random times my phone will go through the startup sequence without being restarted. It won't indicate it was ever shutting down but will suddently start playing the startup animations. It then searches for service, yada yada, the regular. My question is, why does this happen? Is it the phone updating itself, or is it an operating system error? I hardly have any apps installed. I have facebook, gmail, call control, banko f america, google voice, maps, mp3 ringtome maker, trapster, & youtube. Also the android market which I'm pretty sure is standard issue.

What to do?
    I just bought the phone about 4 days ago from radio shack. Did not get the extended warranty. So obviously I have a limited time frame.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Annonymous7

Annonymous7 Newbie

Id take it back, just to be on the safe side. Thats not normal, if its happening like you say. Better safe than sorry.

3. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

Try some troubleshooting steps before you take the phone back. Do a factory reset of the phone, and when you get finished do not install any apps on the phone other than letting the default ones update from the Market. Run the phone without extra apps for awhile and see if you still have the same issue.

If the phone still has the same issue after following the troubleshooting steps above, then take the phone back and get a new one.

4. michaelwoodcoc

Hey. I did the factory reset earlier today when I got in touch with LG's tech support, and the phone has still restarted itself a few times. Is it just updating the apps on there, or what?
    They said I can send it in for them to inspect & possibly repair it, but I would be without a phone for atleast 5 days.

5. Annonymous7

Annonymous7 Newbie

Updating the apps shouldnt restart your cell. At least mine doesnt. 5 days? yeah, id die. id take it back. Least then id be without a cell the entire time if takes me to travel to the store, complete the exchange, and reactivate it lol. Much faster than 5 days :D

6. michaelwoodcoc

Ok guys. I just got back from radioshack. They replaced the phone with a new one. They had just gotten a new shipment of phones in. I believe my old phone had android 2.2.1 whereas the new one has 2.2.2. I have not experienced the problem yet, I guess time will tell.

7. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

Id take it back to Radioshack and echange it for a new one. Much easier than sending it in for repairs IMHO. ;)

Edit: Oops.. we posted at the same time lol. Glad you got it squared away!

8. michaelwoodcoc

New phone just did it too, what gives??? not a single downloaded app yet. Although I don't think this time it searched for service when it restarted. Might be doing things differently. I'll keep a close eye on it next time it starts restarting.

9. michaelwoodcoc

Phone just did it again. I have just noticed it goes through the whole startup sequence like the other phone was doing. It searches for service, prepares the memory card, etc.

I am thinking of exchanging this phone for the other android phone available on Virgin Mobile's network. Because this problem is annoying me!!!

10. michaelwoodcoc

Phone just did it again, and I got it on video. Vid will be posted soon. I had the camera recording for about an hour to catch it. Gotta downloada video editor to shorten the clip.

11. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

I'll venture to say that they got a bad batch of phones, and you had some bad luck. :( That's definitely not normal for these phones.

12. My optimus V hasn't ever done this. However, it seems that there's a fix-all fail-safe 'technique' that has always fixed things on Virgin Mobile phones for me. My old phone (Kyocera Switchback) used to do this ALL THE TIME. What fixed it was to turn off the phone, take out the battery, and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then put the battery back in and turn the phone on. This is advice direct from Customer Service, and they've always said to do this when there's ever any problems, and it seems to work a majority of the time.

So do that, see if it fixes the problem for you.

13. michaelwoodcoc

14. michaelwoodcoc

I haven't noticed the phone do this since I posted the video, I guess it's safe to say it fixed itself? I'll post back in here if the phone does it again.

15. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

Just a thought... did you happen to notice weather or not the phone was hot when it reboots itself? I didn't think of it before, but the phone will reset if the battery overheats.

16. michaelwoodcoc

^ Hey, that is some good thinking. I didn't pay attention, or notice though. I downloaded an app to check every sensor, so next time it does I'll check the battery temp as soon as it does. Hopefully it doesn't happen again though, keeping my fingers crossed!

17. michaelwoodcoc

Did it again today, this time when I was trying to download apps. The apps kept saying "starting download". I guess I can contribute this to a jamned phone, and not the same problem as before?

18. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

You using the new Market app? One reason, among many, that I don't like the new one is it causes my phone to get hot when I updated apps. I've been using AppBrain coupled with Fast Web Install to keep my apps updated and have not had any heating issues.

I've no idea if this is your issue..... just tossing ideas out there. Hopefully sooner or later we'll do enough troubleshooting to narrow down the cause.

19. michaelwoodcoc

^ Yeah, not exactly sure it's the new one, but it's the one that came with the phone. It's version 3.0.27

I'lll have to try those market alternatives you mentioned.

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews