• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stock Lollipop ROM?

troy_cummings

Feb 25, 2014
Does anyone have the stock (rooted or not) Lollipop ROM/backup? I've seen a couple but they've been for dual sim/overseas version, but I just want the normal Virgin Mobile version. My phone isn't installing the OTA update, so I think flashing a Lollipop backup would give me the Lollipop OS. Thanks!

Does anyone have the stock (rooted or not) Lollipop ROM/backup? I've seen a couple but they've been for dual sim/overseas version, but I just want the normal Virgin Mobile version. My phone isn't installing the OTA update, so I think flashing a Lollipop backup would give me the Lollipop OS. Thanks!
Haven't been able to find any decent backups but this link will take you to the RUU file to flash and get the stock Lollipop ROM on Virgin Mobile

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2952058

Reactions: troy_cummings
Upvote 0
Try flashing this in recovery.
http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=920.0

This what I had to use to get completely back to stock to get the update to install properly. Use the rom.zip and flash in recovery then relock your bootloader. You'll be good to go to download and install the update. Just remember to make a nandroid backup and backup everything on your internal memory if you want unlock your boot loader when you've updated to 5.0.2.

Upvote 0
Try flashing this in recovery.
http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=920.0

This what I had to use to get completely back to stock to get the update to install properly. Use the rom.zip and flash in recovery then relock your bootloader. You'll be good to go to download and install the update. Just remember to make a nandroid backup and backup everything on your internal memory if you want unlock your boot loader when you've updated to 5.0.2.
Okay, I'll try this after school haha thank you!

Upvote 0
In order to flash that you have to have a stock recovery. The link I gave you is a lot more user friendly. Regardless of how its done a stock recovery is required unless you can find a CWM or TWRP backup you can use on those recoveries.
I had tried installing the update a couple says ago, by flashing stock recovery and relocking the bootloader, but it still didn't work.

Upvote 0
The link I gave him is a flashable zip that can be installed through TWRP. It will install the stock system, recovery, kernel, and wipe the data partition leaving the EXACTLY as it was when first purchased. Then if he boots into the bootloader and performs a bootloader relock, he will be able to download and install the 5.0.2 OTA. These are the same steps I used to get mine to update. I had previously rooted, modified the system to remove write protection, allow writing to the sd card and was using Xposed Framework mods. After flashing the zip I linked and relocking, the update installed without any problems.

Upvote 0
The link I gave him is a flashable zip that can be installed through TWRP. It will install the stock system, recovery, kernel, and wipe the data partition leaving the EXACTLY as it was when first purchased. Then if he boots into the bootloader and performs a bootloader relock, he will be able to download and install the 5.0.2 OTA. These are the same steps I used to get mine to update. I had previously rooted, modified the system to remove write protection, allow writing to the sd card and was using Xposed Framework mods. After flashing the zip I linked and relocking, the update installed without any problems.
Does it work with CWM also?

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone so much!!! I finally got it to work, thanks to you guys! I used @riggerman0421 's method, and it actually worked ;) I'm on Lollipop right now, actually, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to root it? Like, do I have to follow a different method because it's 5.0 now? And is the Read/Write issue fixed? I forgot how much bloatware was on this phone...

EDIT: Also, can I flash TWRP with this? Are there any limitations, so to speak? I need to make a backup ASAP

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone so much!!! I finally got it to work, thanks to you guys! I used @riggerman0421 's method, and it actually worked ;) I'm on Lollipop right now, actually, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to root it? Like, do I have to follow a different method because it's 5.0 now? And is the Read/Write issue fixed? I forgot how much bloatware was on this phone...
As far as I know you still have to apply the patch for the read/write to SD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones