• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stoptober

dynomot

Android Expert
Dec 4, 2011
Sheffield U.K
Here in the UK this is an annual scheme by the health authorities along with several charities to encourage and support smokers give up the weed.

I have gone "cold turkey" for eight days now from a twenty+ a day habit. I'm doing OK, but it has totally wrecked my sleeping. I do suffer from occasional bouts of insomnia, but to go to sleep at 10pm, be awake again at 12.30am and stuck, still awake at 4.15 am, is ridiculous.

What does an Englishman mean by 'the weed?' Across the pond it means something else one smokes that can't be counted in twenties, per se. If you mean cigarettes, I've failed to quit more times than I can count and have given up trying. As for 'weed,' I quit in the blink of an eye about twenty years ago and it has never crossed my mind since – I don't think it's addictive at all, for me at least.

Reactions: dynomot
Upvote 0
You will survive.

I quited cold turkey 3.5 years ago and my partner with soft laser therapy (like acupuncture). We both are still alive and kicking, and not smoking.

You are entering a New Era.
Of better tastes, more smells, more breath, more condition, more days to live left, more money left and so much more benefits.
If I had only realized the nuisance of the smell having around me, after smoking... I would have quit way earlier.

You will survive.
Welcome to this New Era :)
Eight days, eh? It's no longer your body talking, but a matter of a strong mind now.
You rock, you are the boss over your own life!

Upvote 0
I think this is going to my stoptober too. (cigarettes) I have been smoking since I was 16. So almost a full 28 years. My beloved smoked before we met but had quit, after we wed she picked it back up because of me. Between the guilt of killing her slowly, and the cost, the fact that you almost have to hide in a closet in the center of your house with some sort of air filter running to not be breaking any laws, or stepping on any toes, it's time. Maybe I can still salvage some of my health.

Between both of us, we have about a pack left. I have resolved NOT to go buy anymore. Fingers crossed my resolve is as strong as yours has been dynomot.

As an aside I cant help but think of ...
Dynomutt_blue_falcon.jpg
when I read your username. (Blue Falcon and Dynomutt) for the uninitiated. ;)

Upvote 0
Still going, feeling OK. Your encouragement is appreciated. :)

Lol, @shalemail. You can do it, if you really want to. Think of it as gaining things like better health, social acceptance, smelling better, being richer. You are gaining, not "giving up" anything.

To completely shock my American friends here : a packet of 20 premium cigarettes costs around £9.80 here in the UK - about $15.

As for my forum name (and everywhere else name too) - dynomot, it is easy. The "mot" is from my younger sister when she was learning to talk as a baby (she's 43 now), she said "mot" rather than "Mart" (short for Martin - never call me Marty) and it stuck :) and the dyno because I stick video cameras down pipes to survey them for these people, and have done for 18 years now :

http://www.dyno.com

Upvote 0

Lol, @shalemail. You can do it, if you really want to. Think of it as gaining things like better health, social acceptance, smelling better, being richer. You are gaining, not "giving up" anything.

To completely shock my American friends here : a packet of 20 premium cigarettes costs around £9.80 here in the UK - about $15.

As for my forum name (and everywhere else name too) - dynomot, it is easy. The "mot" is from my younger sister when she was learning to talk as a baby (she's 43 now), she said "mot" rather than "Mart" (short for Martin - never call me Marty) and it stuck :) and the dyno because I stick video cameras down pipes to survey them for these people, and have done for 18 years now :

http://www.dyno.com

Congrats. My independence day was July 17, 2000. The first couple of weeks were the toughest but I have not smoked another since then (2 packs plus a day habit). The hardest thing was breaking the mini habits like sit down for a cup of tea/coffee and light up, hop in the car and light up, do this and light up, do that and light up. I actually weaned myself off. The first week was not lighting up for 20 minutes after finishing one. Second week was 25 minutes between. When I reached 3 hours between cigarettes I was climbing the wall. This technique quickly identified all of the mini habits.

Just keep it up and you will soon be totally free.

Reactions: mikedt and Kaat72
Upvote 0

Want to know how much a packet of 20 cigarettes costs here in mainland China?

Most are between 5 and 10 yuan CNY, that's about 50p to £1 GBP. But then there are some really premium ones as well, which might cost 10 or 20 times that, and often used as a status symbol. In Hong Kong SAR, they're much more expensive, more like US or UK prices, and sufficed to say smuggling can be a major problem.

...also not too sure about how safe some of these e-cigarettes are either...
http://www.made-in-china.com/multi-search/electronic+cigarette/F1--CD_E-Cigarette-Starter-Kits-Catalog/1.html
...most are from Shenzhen, just like the cheapo tablets and phones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones