• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stuck between iPhone and Android

How difficult is it though? I have some Linux experience and most of my problems always come from:
1. File permissions
2. Dependency issues
3. compile errors.

I also don't care to much for customisation in the graphical sense (hell I haven't even changed the wallpaper!). But in the apps sense e.g. SBSettings, etc. I do love.

Is there a good wiki where I can learn about Android? It's things like that which helped me understand e.g. The Nintendo Wii days before I hacked it in a single evening.

Upvote 0
None of 1 through 3 will be a problem on Android. Seriously. The only trouble would be if you install a root-only app on an unrooted phone, i.e. you can't use its features, or you try to install an app that depends on a custom UI framework that your phone doesn't have (such apps aren't, in any case, available on the market and generally require root access).

Upvote 0
You mean that stupid patent? I don't think they will ban everyone since that would remove a large part of the owners and is now legal. Unless you have a source?

There is nothing 'legal' or 'illegal' about it.
IT was never made illegal to jailbreak an iPhone, it was the OPINION of Apple that it was illegal... same thing carmakers did and lost on.

The only thing they have ever been able to do is enforce a warranty.
Nobody went to jail for jailbreaks...

I do however think like you do that Apple will not ban jailbroken devices because right now they need all the numbers they can get.

Upvote 0
There is nothing 'legal' or 'illegal' about it.
IT was never made illegal to jailbreak an iPhone, it was the OPINION of Apple that it was illegal... same thing carmakers did and lost on.

It was a grey area to say the least because of the DMCA, although Saurik spoke to lawyers who said it was legal.

Anyway back on topic, what is the difficulty like?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones