• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stuck on black HTC screen after failed RUU

ghost602

Aug 11, 2011
Arizona
Ok so I got this EVO V from someone on Ebay it had a broken LCD and I have another EVO V that had a brand new digitizer and LCD in it but had no signs of life. So after I got the phone from Ebay I swapped out the Logic/Motherboard since it's the same phone and when I booted the phone it bootlooped on the white HTC screen.

So booted into bootloader and went to recovery(It was stated that the phone had 4EXT recovery installed already) but it just went back to the bootloop so I unlocked the bootloader(HTCDev) and then using fastboot flashed 4EXT recovery then tried to boot into recovery again and the same thing happened.

So downloaded the RUU(The one for VirginMobile) and everything was going fine untill it got to the system part of the flash. After about 1-2 min. of no progress the RUU gives me an error. Now the phone is stuck on the black HTC screen with the four triangles in the corners. I can still interact with the phone using fastboot but no matter what I do when it reboots it's right back to the black screen. Have tried the RUU 8-9 times every time the same result. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I can do.

I am by no means a n00b just never had this problem before and have tried everything I can think of.

Phone info:
SHOOTER XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.57.0000
RADIO-1.06.00.0426
OpenADSP-v02.6.0.2226.00.0217
eMMC-boot
Apr 20 2012, 17:39:22

RUU

It displays this info if I unplug the USB cable, once I plug it back in it goes back to the black HTC screen.

And when I run "fastboot getvar mainver" it says

mainver:

I'm thinking that one of the partitions is corrupted maybe but i'm unsure of what to do at this point. Maybe format and then flash.

Ok so I got this EVO V from someone on Ebay it had a broken LCD and I have another EVO V that had a brand new digitizer and LCD in it but had no signs of life. So after I got the phone from Ebay I swapped out the Logic/Motherboard since it's the same phone and when I booted the phone it bootlooped on the white HTC screen.

So booted into bootloader and went to recovery(It was stated that the phone had 4EXT recovery installed already) but it just went back to the bootloop so I unlocked the bootloader(HTCDev) and then using fastboot flashed 4EXT recovery then tried to boot into recovery again and the same thing happened.

So downloaded the RUU(The one for VirginMobile) and everything was going fine untill it got to the system part of the flash. After about 1-2 min. of no progress the RUU gives me an error. Now the phone is stuck on the black HTC screen with the four triangles in the corners. I can still interact with the phone using fastboot but no matter what I do when it reboots it's right back to the black screen. Have tried the RUU 8-9 times every time the same result. Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what I can do.

I am by no means a n00b just never had this problem before and have tried everything I can think of.

Phone info:
SHOOTER XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.57.0000
RADIO-1.06.00.0426
OpenADSP-v02.6.0.2226.00.0217
eMMC-boot
Apr 20 2012, 17:39:22

RUU

It displays this info if I unplug the USB cable, once I plug it back in it goes back to the black HTC screen.

And when I run "fastboot getvar mainver" it says

mainver:

I'm thinking that one of the partitions is corrupted maybe but i'm unsure of what to do at this point. Maybe format and then flash.

If you could get in 4ext, wipe everything except SDcard. YOu need to lock the bootloader. Do it here
http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/642504-ruu-stock-ruu-unroot-virgin-mobile-3d.html
You also need to run the setmainlowversion here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34239031&postcount=130

Name the RUU to PG86IMG, put it on the root of your SDCard and boot into the bootloader holding down vol+power button.

Upvote 0
Tried running the RUU 3 more times each time I get the same results

I get ERROR[155]: UNKNOWN ERROR
Untitled.jpg

Whats weird is that on the screen wear it says current version there is nothing displayed.
Untitled1.jpg

Upvote 0
I can not get into bootloader no matter what key combo I do(Vol - and Power) the device always goes back to the black HTC screen. Ive tried putting the RUU image(PG86IMG) on an sdcard but all I get is the black HTC screen it won't load it I think it's because i'm not in bootloader mode but some sort of fastboot mode for RUU.

Upvote 0
I can not get into bootloader no matter what key combo I do(Vol - and Power) the device always goes back to the black HTC screen. Ive tried putting the RUU image(PG86IMG) on an sdcard but all I get is the black HTC screen it won't load it I think it's because i'm not in bootloader mode but some sort of fastboot mode for RUU.

Can you get into the bootloader using ADB?

Upvote 0
Tried running the RUU 3 more times each time I get the same results

I get ERROR[155]: UNKNOWN ERROR

Whats weird is that on the screen wear it says current version there is nothing displayed.
That means your bootloader is not locked.

If you are S-ON you have to lock the bootloader with the following fastboot command before running the RUU:

fastboot oem lock
ramjet73

Upvote 0
Have you run the setmainlowversion?
Also, check to see if you downloaded the correct RUU. Verify that it's not corrupted.
According to the OP he's on radio 1.06.00.0426 so I don't think he's taken the OTA and shouldn't need to flash the setmainversionlow zip file.

The 132 error is sometimes caused by a bad RUU download and other times by transmission errors over the USB connection. There are probably other things that will cause it as well.

What RUU did you download and where did you get it from? Have you checked the MD5 for the download?

Also, make sure you are in "fastboot usb" mode before flashing the RUU.

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones