• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stuck with Bionic because of unlimited

shanny871

Feb 22, 2011
Is anyone else sticking with their Bionic because you're grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited? I went to Costco and just inquired about upgrading, and he mentioned that sooner rather than later Verizon will force us off the unlimited anyway. He mentioned something about a 6 GB plan that won't cost me any more to switch to. I only typically use 5-6 GB anyway. Are any of you familiar with this 6 GB plan?

Call customer service and ask them if changing the ESN on your account will get you kicked off the unlimited plan. If not, buy whatever Verizon phone you want and change the ESN on your account to that phone.

As far as the 6GB plan (the More Everything plan), line access (with unlimited talk and text) is $40. 6GB is $80. (Every 2GB more is another $10.) So a 6GB plan would run you $120.

Upvote 0
As far as the 6GB plan (the More Everything plan), line access (with unlimited talk and text) is $40. 6GB is $80. (Every 2GB more is another $10.) So a 6GB plan would run you $120.

As I recall, there was also a special 6 GB plan for people upgrading from Unlimited data plans that is not the More Everything plan. I think it was the "Verizon Max" plan and had some restrictions that More Everything does not have.

See Verizon is Launching Verizon Max, a Limited Time 6GB $30 Deal for Unlimited Customers Who Want Verizon Edge | Droid Life

I'm not sure if that plan is still available, though.

Reactions: shanny871
Upvote 0
I stuck with my Bionic way longer than I was going to because of unlimited data. I average 64 to 90 something GB a month using Chromecast and being where I am it's really the only affordable option I have.
Anyway I finally took the plunge and went with the HTC M8 two days ago. I had to pay full price to keep unlimited data, but can now switch between the two devices on my unlimited plan so changing the ESN won't get you kicked off unlimited as long as you have a qualifying device, but it has to be set up by Verizon for you to do it.
I guess you just have to decide for yourself if buying a new phone at full price is worth keeping unlimited data in the long run, and for me it was.

Upvote 0
I stuck with my Bionic way longer than I was going to because of unlimited data. I average 64 to 90 something GB a month using Chromecast and being where I am it's really the only affordable option I have.
Anyway I finally took the plunge and went with the HTC M8 two days ago. I had to pay full price to keep unlimited data, but can now switch between the two devices on my unlimited plan so changing the ESN won't get you kicked off unlimited as long as you have a qualifying device, but it has to be set up by Verizon for you to do it.
I guess you just have to decide for yourself if buying a new phone at full price is worth keeping unlimited data in the long run, and for me it was.

Thanks Dautley!. I have 2 questions if you don't mind. How do you like the M8 and what exactly do you mean about Having Verizon switch the ESN for you? Does this mean I have to pay full price from a Verizon store to keep unlimited vs. buying a used phone off of say Ebay?

Upvote 0
So far I love my M8, thanks. I ordered mine on line and picked it up at my local Verizon store on the 4th, I had to go into work and asked them not to activate it yet because I didn't have time to fool transferring from my Bionic and wanted to use it for the night.
After work, I went online to activate it and it was already listed under activate a new device and then activate a device previously used with this account or something similarly worded. Anyway that brought up a drop down menu with the new M8 already listed and let me activate it under my existing plan. I would assume if I ever sell my Bionic that it would require a new sim card to be used with a account other than my own and would not still be on my unlimited data plan as it will only allow one device to be used at a time.
Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones