• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stuttering / laggy thread

bonerp

Android Expert
Apr 12, 2010
UK
I'd like to start a thread to see how many users are suffering the same problems with lag and screens stuttering.

My diagnosis...

Installed my desires HD and copied the content of the DHD card to it.

From this, installed all the same apps I had from my desire to the DHD.

Problems:
Lag on opening the sleep screen. 2/3 secs with black screen.

Stuttering when using phone book or Angry Bird and Shoot the Duck.games

This is not consistent though. Sometimes its fine sometimes it does this.

Have tried restarting after installing apps.

Would appreciate people listing similar issues. Lets get a valuable thread going that we can point to HTC for a fix.

Bonerp

I don't have Bonerp's problems but I do sometimes get keyboard lag on webpages as mentioned above.
I have managed to slow the phone down while running playstation games with widgets and live wallpaper on but I would be surprised if it didn't. When I shut down the extras it runs fine.
P.s. I have a 3g data counter always running.

Upvote 0
Same for me, the phone is very laggy. Especially as mentioned when typing on the internet browser. I have to restart it quite often to solve the problem or kill the apps regularly.
Although I love the phone, I'm disapointed with the perfs. I was hoping for something really smooth with such a CPU and froyo.
(another weakness is the battery imo)

Upvote 0
i have noticed lagging in angry birds.

I have too. But only once when I played it at the end of the day so loots other stuff running as well. That was my assumption anyway. Having been in IT for more years than I care to remember the stock way to solve computer problems (and the DHD is a small computer) is to try a) a reboot then b) shut-down and power off before restarting...... :D

Dave

Upvote 0
The Mrs got her HTC Desire HD yesterday so she could trunp my HTC Desire but it would appear she has failed to do so.

After setting up the phone for her and performing the OTA update we noticed terrible lag when performing even basic tasks. I installed taskiller and made sure all none essential apps were stopped and we still had lag even with 300+mb of memory available.

We have been informed that the Orange UK 3g network is experience problems so the lag could be due to the phone trying to get a 3g signal.

We switched off the Mobile Network and tried the Wireless to no avail, still jumpy even just on the home screen with no applications running other than core services.

Typing and or playing games is near impossible. We're thinking of returning the phone tomorrow if we still have the same problem.

Upvote 0
i've still got this problem ever after doing a factory reset and installing my apps one by one to try and find out what the problem was. it seems to a process called /init that uses all the cpu and makes the whole phone lag, whilst also killing battery life. really annoying, might take it back tomorrow.

are issues like this expected when you're an early adopter? i dunno, i've used an iphone for the past 2 years so maybe i've just been spoiled by having everything 'just work'

it's too bad because the phone is phenomenal when it works properly, that just seems to be very little of the time for me

Upvote 0
I have the same problem after a few days of having my DHD. Installed the same old apps and games as most. Got Task Killer installed and nothing running. Fresh reset, but the whole phone is stuttering compared to as new. Flicking through the menus is delayed, programs are slow, touch is delayed.

I wonder if its an issue with the HTC sense software. I wonder if this is why google held the phone back!!!!!

I would love to be able to remove alot of the pre-installed software.

Upvote 0
After one day it became laggy as well. I noticed it at first when I was in the settings uninstalling apps. When I would hit 'ok' it would take a couple of seconds to continue. Now when swiping through screens it hangs a little. It is not THAT bad but it is noticable.

So the following day after this lagging problem I suddenly was hit with a larger problem - the proximity issue! Whenever I called someone or they called me, when answering, the screen would just go blank and unresponsive. After tapping the screen and hitting the power button several times the phone would come alive again.

After installing the new update, it seems to have fixed the issue. Now two days later all is well. I suggest anyone who is facing lagging issues to update to the latest update. Worked for me. :)

Upvote 0
I had this problem initially too and it nearly caused me to sell the DHD because it made it unusable at times. However, I have found a fix for my particular problem.

My symptoms were that the handset started showing signs of lag. When scrolling the menu or home pages it was no longer smooth and noticeably pausing a lot. It also had issues playing games like Fruit Ninja and high end games too. This ruined this whole experience.

I found that turning off the handset and turning it back on again fixed this, but I didn't want to have to reboot a few times a day.

The solution I found was to install a cache cleaner which was made more effective by rooting the DHD. This meant that whenever the slow down occurred I just cleaned the cache and it went perfectly quick again.

A few days after finding the above fix I started to try and work out what was causing the problem because it was still happening every day or two. Through testing I've found that it seems to be the latest update for the YouTube app that causes the problem. Every time I run that and close it I get the slow downs until I clear the cache, but if I don't run the app for a week I won't get the slow downs for the week.

So my slow downs and 2 crashes appear to be caused by the latest update to the YouTube app. The above fix works to sort it, but I'm using YouTube less to avoid it in the first place now.

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones