• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Subsonic Music Streamer: Too Buggy and there are alternatives

Aton

Lurker
Jun 8, 2010
Unfortunately this application has too many shortcomings to achieve a high rating. The audio frequently mutes out while listening and if the application gives an error about not being able to download a file, it's impossible to quit the program. However, it is brilliant that it downloads the files to the sd card, but there should be an option to limit the amount of data that is cached. There is an option that allows you to listen to the tracks that were downloaded to the card, unfortunately this feature did not work for me. Froyo will be introducing private music collection streaming. If Subsonic does not get it's act together and fix these quirks, there will be absolutely no reason to use it for Android 2.2 and above. J. River Media Center 15 is currently in BETA and has a stream to Android feature using their J. River Gizmo app. This seems to be the only alternative currently. I paid for Subsonic but use J. River Media Center 15 (BETA) to Stream to my phone from my private library instead.

I posted this on the forum for "them" you guys are really good and great answers...help...I also would like to know how good J river is?

ok!!! I just set up my "account" found my folder whereALL my music is. It's ALOT (i have an 80g I*od/music and video) ALL my frkn music is on the *od from this external drive....SOO here's my query: do I "download" all that music into the server....or is it already in the server...i just actually am downloading all the music in the mini player? then my computer stops transferring. wtfreek...I see all my artist there(does that mean they are in the "server") and I really dont have to download them in the jutbox? then how the F do I set up my D1 to access my music...
Obviously I am C O N F U S E D !!!!

Upvote 0
I like this app but it seems that the newest version downloads to the SD card by default. I haven't found any way to turn this off. I saw a youtube review of an earlier version that allowed you to delete your SD card cache. This feature seems to have disappeared in the final version. Subsonic forces you to donate after a trial period.

"Gmote" is free and streams music and video without downloading.

"Homepipe" is also pretty good (and free). It allows downloading if you want.

EDIT: Right after posting this I got an app update of Subsonic. The options for downloading and deleting are back. Worth the donation!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones