• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swearing in the forums

Are you offended by the use of swear words on AF?

• Yes

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 90 88.2%

• Total voters
You seem upset, even hurt while reading my posts.

I think I can help: http://androidforums.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist <----- in your Control Panel

HAHA that was pretty funny stuff right there :D

and i think most everyone on here is old enough to handle swearing, if not they shouldn't be browsing the net unsupervised. They are only bad words because humans defined them as such. I can understand not swearing as good manners, but it shouldn't be banned. You can handle it people :)

Upvote 0
Who are we to judge words as being "good" or "bad?"

A moderator popped in several posts ago (#17, check out the last paragraph in that post) and, as a staffer here, expressed the bottom line on what is being talked about as "good" or "bad" in these AF forums; the user guidelines.

So, yes, like it or not, there are "good" words here and there are "bad" words that will get your posts edited or deleted and at some point could affect your membership here.

Upvote 0
A moderator popped in several posts ago (#17, check out the last paragraph in that post) and, as a staffer here, expressed the bottom line on what is being talked about as "good" or "bad" in these AF forums; the user guidelines.

So, yes, like it or not, there are "good" words here and there are "bad" words that will get your posts edited or deleted and at some point could affect your membership here.

although off-topic from the OP, i beleive he meant we as human beings... the words are only "bad" because some person, at some point in history, for some reason, decided they were. Kind of similar to religions, the fact that you have to have a certain type of JOB to be considered successful, hell even f***in your cousin! okay, maybe that last one was made wrong for a reason lol :p

Upvote 0
I'm quite happy with the way it's currently set out in the Site Rules. A lot of forums have zero tolerance on swearing but the majority of people swear in real life so why not on a public forum? As long as it's not used to put someone down but then any language used to put someone down wouldn't be appropriate.

Phazes said:
Strong Language: Language is fine to a common sense degree. Say what you gotta say, how ya gotta say it, when it's in a positive or neutral tone. If someone expresses offense to terms you're using, please respect them enough to at the very least NOT respond with &#8220;get over it this is the internet blah blah&#8221; crap. It IS the internet – but it's also in a forum where you're expected to respect your fellow members. If you're in the midst of a 'friendly' debate – use extra caution when using terms that may cause you to project a certain aura that you hopefully don't desire to have.

Upvote 0
Of all the swear words, I find people using the F word to swear as being very low class. I don't mind people swearing that much when I'm reading as I can simply ignore it. I don't swear online or irl and I make a habbit of asking anyone that swear, especially saying the F word, around me to refrain in my presence. If they respect me, they will...if they don't, then they are not people I'd associate myself with. If you want to express your anger/frustration and or excitement...there are better words then swearing. I also find that when people use the F word, it hurts my ears with the shrillness of the way the word is pronounced, as the person voice goes up an octave.

Upvote 0
I guess I'm imagining things because I thought it used to say strong/vulgar language wasn't allowed at all.

Did they change it recently or am I a dumby head?

Nope...there are some swear words that AF won't sensors and there are ones that they will

Testing:
f*ck <--roze sensored XD
******ed <--AF sensored
slut
bitch

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
Nah, it doesn't bother me seeing swearing in the forums. It doesn't bother me in real life, either. Now, what does irritate the daylights out of me is when people use "cutsie" words in place of foul language. "Fudge" is the one I find most annoying, but "H-E-double-hockey-sticks" (is "hell" even a cuss word anymore?), "poopie", and "bull honky" grate on my nerves, too.

Upvote 0
Oddly I don't swear much on forums, but in real life I put sailors to shame. Literally. I'm a military dude and it comes with the territory. They're just words and these choice words explain experiences/moods/stories perfectly and can generally be used in any sentence, which I applaud and give a solemn nod to. Only small children and my grandmother are spared, you see.

It's the people that are highly offended, look down on, or think people who swear are immature that get under my skin. If they can't handle some words they're in for a rough surprise in life when they come across something they should be offended by. And this is face-to-face or within ear shot. On an internet forum? Just......wow...

All my opinion, of course.

Ooo, After saying the above I want to point out, I don't condone any changing of the rule or anything here. I get it. People can get upset, the site's image would take a dive and look trashy. You guys have a good thing going, it's all good :)

Reactions: Jessie
Upvote 0
Nah, it doesn't bother me seeing swearing in the forums. It doesn't bother me in real life, either. Now, what does irritate the daylights out of me is when people use "cutsie" words in place of foul language. "Fudge" is the one I find most annoying, but "H-E-double-hockey-sticks" (is "hell" even a cuss word anymore?), "poopie", and "bull honky" grate on my nerves, too.

haha you sooo don't want to talk to me in person...I fall under the 'put strings of words together to express yourself' like, 'you hippopotumus bat brain sardine!' Though I use 'fudge', Popsicle stick, dog poo, bloody apple when I'm not creative. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones