• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switched back to sprint, 0.8 lte speed?

Slammed01

Jul 14, 2014
Left Sprint last year due to network issues and call dropping after talking to them for 8+ months and they were upgrading towers. Supposedly I'm in the best network area and towns are upgradrd however my speeds suck, Metro was better. Anyone else experience this?

does a phone make that big of diff?

My s3 does lte and it's available, sprint said I get best voice and network coverage. However I see 3g occasionally after 14 hours. Metro never has 3g and steady speeds. Crazy

They r done updating and I had sprint employees do speedtest and they were getting 2-3 mbps with s6's

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Keep in mind that your data throughput is dependant upon a lot of variables our the carrier's control: interference from other radios, number of clients on a tower, weather conditions, obstacles between your phone and the tower are a few. I work in a metal building, which means I have limited or no data (and my battery life sucks), but that is not Sprint's fault.

Upvote 0
They r done updating and I had sprint employees do speedtest and they were getting 2-3 mbps with s6's
The S6 uses the new Spark radios, the Spark LTE scheme came after the S3.

I've gotten better performance on the new network with a newer phone than my 2012 Evo 4G LTE (same generation as the S3). That was with phones side by side getting service from a Spark tower. Next to one of the first towers, no difference.

http://www.sprint.com/netdotcom/index.html?ECID=vanity:network#!/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/30/sprint-spark-enhanced-lte/

It *could* be that. Not sure.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
My s3 does lte and it's available, sprint said I get best voice and network coverage. However I see 3g occasionally after 14 hours. Metro never has 3g and steady speeds. Crazy
I had very spotty LTE with my S3 at home but very good at other locations. My LG G2 gets LTE most of the time at home and overall picks up LTE much better everywhere around town. The phone makes a big difference.

Upvote 0
G2 - Spark phone. Just saying...
I think it does make a big difference even though Savannah doesn't have Spark as far as I know.

ecd2344104fd65710cfa3aaeadd71281.jpg

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
The S6 uses the new Spark radios, the Spark LTE scheme came after the S3.

I've gotten better performance on the new network with a newer phone than my 2012 Evo 4G LTE (same generation as the S3). That was with phones side by side getting service from a Spark tower. Next to one of the first towers, no difference.

http://www.sprint.com/netdotcom/index.html?ECID=vanity:network#!/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/30/sprint-spark-enhanced-lte/

It *could* be that. Not sure.
The 2-3 mbps sucks, I get 10-20 on metro. I just really don't want to buy a new phone to find out slow speeds, it's rough haha

Upvote 0
Isn't the s6 spark? I know sprint is known for slow data
Yes, but I'm assuming the Sprint employee tested the S6 at a Sprint store?

I was suggesting you test the speeds in/near your house with a newer phone to see if Spark provides better speeds. If the Sprint store was a mile or two away you might get completely different results.

There are markets where Spark gets over 50Mbps, it depends on location, backhaul, and congestion.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Also my T-Mobile s3 on metro has static on Bluetooth however my sprint s3 is clear on Bluetooth on same pioneer radio. Would that be network or phone?
If everything was designed properly that ought to be a phone issue.

Bluetooth and wifi operate at the same frequency, the only thing close would be a 2500 MHz LTE band - not on either of your phones and I've not seen any complaints related to that.

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0
0.8 lte is less then 3G speed. I used to get 1.1Mbps top on my Blackberry 8330 (3G)

My LG G2 always gets Spark, speedtests around 12-22Mbps - which is perfect for me, consistent.

My GF's Metro(Tmobile signal) around town gets 20 -45Mbps (but at home, at times drops to 4G hspa+)

Depends on where you are.....

Upvote 0
0.8 lte is less then 3G speed. I used to get 1.1Mbps top on my Blackberry 8330 (3G)

My LG G2 always gets Spark, speedtests around 12-22Mbps - which is perfect for me, consistent.

My GF's Metro(Tmobile signal) around town gets 20 -45Mbps (but at home, at times drops to 4G hspa+)

Depends on where you are.....
My phone in 3g with sprint gets 1.4 at home, and it gets 20 in town there they have 4g. But if I go to the old town I lived in only a few miles down the road I can get 25-35... So I will agree your location matters a lot

Upvote 0
sprint just sucks at everything. they touted their 3g like jesus was coming back. by the time people started using it they went to "wimax", which i have never seen, having been with sprint for years. then they went LTE, and almost immediately dropped it for this "spark" LTE network. did i mention sprint is a ho? they sell tons of voice and data to mvnos like freedompop and virgin. their service sucks. their marketing and engineering sucks. their customer service definitely sucks. im on metro now. cant beat it. if you have sprint, you are getting ripped off.

Upvote 0
did i mention sprint is a ho? they sell tons of voice and data to mvnos like freedompop and virgin.
To be fair, so do AT&T and T-Mobile (which MetroPCS is an MVNO of). Verizon does too but has fewer MVNOs then the other three.

Every carrier has areas of poor reception and slow speeds, just depends on where you are.

Upvote 0
sprint just sucks at everything. they touted their 3g like jesus was coming back. by the time people started using it they went to "wimax", which i have never seen, having been with sprint for years. then they went LTE, and almost immediately dropped it for this "spark" LTE network. did i mention sprint is a ho? they sell tons of voice and data to mvnos like freedompop and virgin. their service sucks. their marketing and engineering sucks. their customer service definitely sucks. im on metro now. cant beat it. if you have sprint, you are getting ripped off.

So deal with one of Sprints Ho's - like Boost mobile
More data, same unlimited everything, no extra fees, taxes, federal ad ons
your bill is your bill every month, exactly
I haven't had a bad day on Boost since leaving Sprint

you can change your phone on your account, damn near as many times as you want, all on your own thru their phone system, just need IMEI....all set, instantly

Reactions: wyelkins
Upvote 0
So deal with one of Sprints Ho's - like Boost mobile
More data, same unlimited everything, no extra fees, taxes, federal ad ons
your bill is your bill every month, exactly
I haven't had a bad day on Boost since leaving Sprint

you can change your phone on your account, damn near as many times as you want, all on your own thru their phone system, just need IMEI....all set, instantly
tru all dat. one of my main problems with sprint is that its a CDMA network. each type of connection (2g, 3g, 4g etc...) requires its own apn entry. this leads to slowness when switching between towers. also drains a lot more battery. i am in dallas/fort worth and reception is so spotty here, especially for a metroplex, its almost unbelievable. the fastest LTE speeds i ever got were 25 mbps. on metro/tmobile that is generally the minimum speed i get. plus, tmobile 3g is actually usable, unlike sprint 3g.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones