• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching from S6 Edge to S8?

I personally upgrade when my old phone isn't cutting it any more rather than when a new one comes out, so the first question I'd ask is whether there is anything where the S6E is not meeting my needs. If you can answer that then you can see whether the S8 will fix those problems ;).

But based on specs (since reviews seem still to be embargoed) it should be a decent step up in most respects: it's a little taller, slightly narrower, and more comfortable to hold than I remember the S6E being. Faster processor obviously, more storage plus sd expansion, and I expect the camera is a little better (it's certainly fast in operation, that's all I can really say from playing with it, but the pixels are bigger and it's a later-generation sensor so on paper it ought to be an improvement). We need reviews/real-world experience to say more.

Whether you should or not only you can say, and I'd certainly have a look at one for real before making any decisions. But as long as there's no fault that's not come to light yet it should be an improvement in most or all respects, especially if you like Samsung phones.

Upvote 0
My most recent phone was an S6 Edge, and my S8 was just delivered today. I was getting horrible battery life out of my S6, so needed to upgrade. First impressions (I've literally had it in hand for about an hour) - event though larger, it's easier to handle due to it being slimmer. Not sure how much I'll use Bixby, but it seems slick so far. Bixby images seems like something that could be useful. The camera seems decent (waiting to try in low light).
A couple things that are funky - fingerprint recognition on the back of the phone. I used that as my screen lock with my S6 Edge; seems cumbersome now. And the fact that the charger is not a micro USB - requires an adapter. That's a little off-putting.

Reactions: GodLovesYou
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones