1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Switching from S6 Edge to S8?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GodLovesYou, Apr 18, 2017.

1. GodLovesYou

GodLovesYou Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 25, 2016
    Hey guys!!

I would like to get your opinion about this, should I buy or not the new flagship from Samsung?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I personally upgrade when my old phone isn't cutting it any more rather than when a new one comes out, so the first question I'd ask is whether there is anything where the S6E is not meeting my needs. If you can answer that then you can see whether the S8 will fix those problems ;).

But based on specs (since reviews seem still to be embargoed) it should be a decent step up in most respects: it's a little taller, slightly narrower, and more comfortable to hold than I remember the S6E being. Faster processor obviously, more storage plus sd expansion, and I expect the camera is a little better (it's certainly fast in operation, that's all I can really say from playing with it, but the pixels are bigger and it's a later-generation sensor so on paper it ought to be an improvement). We need reviews/real-world experience to say more.

Whether you should or not only you can say, and I'd certainly have a look at one for real before making any decisions. But as long as there's no fault that's not come to light yet it should be an improvement in most or all respects, especially if you like Samsung phones.

GodLovesYou and lunatic59 like this.
  3. tdse

tdse Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 16, 2010
    NH, USA
    My most recent phone was an S6 Edge, and my S8 was just delivered today. I was getting horrible battery life out of my S6, so needed to upgrade. First impressions (I've literally had it in hand for about an hour) - event though larger, it's easier to handle due to it being slimmer. Not sure how much I'll use Bixby, but it seems slick so far. Bixby images seems like something that could be useful. The camera seems decent (waiting to try in low light).
    A couple things that are funky - fingerprint recognition on the back of the phone. I used that as my screen lock with my S6 Edge; seems cumbersome now. And the fact that the charger is not a micro USB - requires an adapter. That's a little off-putting.

GodLovesYou likes this.
  4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Surely the charger comes with a USB-C cable??

Don't regret USB-C: microUSB is on the way out for phones, and Samsung are actually a year behind many other manufacturers in adopting USB-C.This was the only sensible move.

GodLovesYou and CaptainRon like this.

Samsung Galaxy S8

Samsung Galaxy S8