• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Syncing of Google contacts not working

I'm having the same problem. Started today. All the other apps, mail (including gmail), google calendar, internet, all work fine. I can't access the contacts via the "people" widget, and when I press the "phone" I get an error message (I assume it is connected to the contacts) and the option to force close. I am unable to dial out, since there is no keypad showing. I've tried turning the phone off and on, taking out the battery. My storage is not low and I have not received a low storage message. I am hoping to avoid a factory reset. The only thing I did immediately before the problem starting was to download a few apps via the market. These apps have since all been uninstalled. I don't recall making any changes to contacts in the last few days, and I'm unsure how to check to see if there is anything in the notes field, since I can't access any contacts on my phone... are they stored someplace else?

I'm using:
Droid Incredible2
latest update is 2.3.4

Upvote 0
Ditto! Here is what worked for me. First, close your contacts. Then open your web browser on your mobile device. Navigate to https://accounts.google.com/Login and re-login (re-connect to the server). Then try to sync your contacts. It worked for me. :)

Somehow I had lost contact with the server that supports GMAIL and contacts.

I'm having this exact same issue (as described above). Tried this suggestion just now. No go. My contacts haven't synced successfully since Sept 24th.

Upvote 0
I tried logging into https://accounts.google.com/Login from my S3 as I had the same issue....it worked! Started tidying up contacts that had merged due to JB and cleaned up almost all when the sync stopped again. Login to above account and sign-out and log back in to no avail. Contact Sync stuffed again.

Interestingly enough, SMTP setting dropped out as well. Had to drop that back to no authentication/login but it works.

Anyone comes up with any other suggestions it would be great!

Upvote 0
I had this problem for months and found an answer on another thread in a google forum that worked for me. It seems to be a well-known problem with android/gmail sync.

Back up your contacts first just in case. I exported mine to sdcard

Go to settings/applications/manage/all/contacts storage and clear data.

Then sync and all should be OK. Mine was anyway - ymmv. It seems the "contacts storage" app is the one that actually manages the database(s) and if you have a corrupt database on the phone nothing will fix it except clearing the database. A factory reset will do this obviously, but is a bit drastic.

Upvote 0
I tried the above and it did not work. Everything synced except that contacts, which is the only thing I was having trouble with. I would have expected the contacts to clear out but they did not. They were there immediately, almost as if they never cleared out, while the email took a while to sync. I also deleted all my contacts and reloaded them from USB storage and that did not fix it either (of course if I had bad data I just reloaded it). Looks like I need to keep the phone and Google synced manually - better get an Apple next time! Not really sure a factory reset will even fix this.

Upvote 0
When syncing my Google contacts I keep getting the error message "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly". They have not been synced since 10th Sep. Any ideas? :thinking:
When syncing my Google contacts I keep getting the error message "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly". They have not been synced since 10th Sep. Any ideas? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I experienced this problem after setting up a new phone. I remember getting a message that my deleted contacts were full. I'm not sure what that was about but I deleted the deleted contacts. I observed my Contact sync was not working. The suggestion to log into my google account did not work, nor did a reboot of the phone.

What did work was to remove my Google account from the phone and add it again. Once added, I was able to sync successfully. No need to factory reset the phone.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Same problem, but finally fixed. I had removed app permissions for contacts in Google Play Services and Google Play Store, in fact most contact permissions to do with Google need to be enabled! Also if you have a few email addresses make sure you are signed into Google with the same email as the place where you are syncing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones