• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root T Mobile, AT&T, & MetroPCS LTE fix.

Savage Shadows

Android Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Edited on Thursday, April 11th, 2013

This is a modification, and involves more than just flashing any silly ROM. This can be dangerous for your device. It goes without saying, but will still be said, that any damage to your device is your sole responsibility. This is offered for "development and testing purposes" only. It's also nice to hack your device to take full advantage of its hardware, but that's my opinion.

So with T Mobile rolling out LTE, people are again reporting LTE on their Nexus 4's. If you're within a market, a simple flash of the .33 radio, a few quick changes and edits, and you're likely to have LTE access (granted you have a compatible kernel, which we will try to give a reasonable list of at some point). I can confirm that, from the information I am given from my phone, it does work with consistency (keep in mind I live within one of TMo's new markets). However, I have read that it does cause a notable addition to battery usage due to the fact that even though there is embedded LTE functionality in the chipset, there is no physical antenna.

Here is a description of steps I have used and recommend using. This is assuming that you have a Nexus 4 device with a custom recovery installed and a compatible kernel, and is rooted. This method will involve clearing caches (recommended but not necessary), but will not erase user data. Optional but recommended steps will begin with a letter bullet in a different color.

First Step : Flash the Compatible Radio Files
1) Download .33 radio for N4 Dev-Host - cwm-radio-mako-m9615a-cefwmazm-2.0.1700.33.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service.
2) Reboot into recovery (I use CWM).
3) Perform full nandroid backup.
a) Wipe cache partition.
b) Wipe dalvik cache.
4) Flash .33 radio zip
a) If desired, flash the most recent update of your ROM.
b) If required after flashing a ROM update, flash GAPPS.
5) Reboot your device.

Second Step : Edit the build.prop
1) Using a file explorer that exploits root access, navigate to the /system/ folder (not /sys/).
a) If you see an option saying "Mount R/W", click it. If it says "Mount R/O", then you do not need to click it.
2) Long press the file "build.prop" and select an option to open it in a text editor.
3) Scroll to the second half of the file. About two thirds down the second half, there will be a line that reads: [HIGH]telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0[/HIGH] You will want to edit this line and add two lines directly below it to read: [HIGH]telephony.lteOnGsmDevice=1
ro.telephony.default_network=9
ro.ril.def.preferred.network=9[/HIGH]
4)
Through the menu, click the save option (do keep in mind that when you edit the build.prop, a backup is automatically created named build.prop.bak).
5) Back out of the text editor and file explorer.

Third Step : Make the Final Changes
1) Go into the native dialer (just the standard dialer if you don't know what that is) and enter *#*#4636#*#*
2)
3) Select "Phone information", then "Set preferred network type:".
4) Select "LTE/GSM auto (PRL)", then back out of the menus.
5) Enter the Settings app, select More, select Mobile Networks, select Access Point Names, select T-Mobile US, and then select APN.
6) Change this value to "fast.t-mobile.com" (make sure to include the symbol "-" just as I have written it), then click OK.
7) Scroll down and select APN Protocol, and switch the value to "IPv4/IPv6", then back out to the Mobile Networks menu.
8) Select Network Mode, and switch the value to "LTE/GSM/WCDMA".
9) Back out of all menus, and reboot your device.

If you're using MetroPCS' BYOP, here's the APN settings:
< apn carrier="MetroPCS LTE"
mcc="310"
mnc="260"
extraid="6D"
apn="fast.metropcs.com"
user=""
password=""
authtype="0"
server=""
proxy=""
port=""
mmsc="http://metropcs.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc"
mmsproxy=""
mmsport=""
type="default,mms,supl"
preferapp=""
For those lucky enough to live in a location where AT&T has AWS LTE deployed, here are apn settings that from XDA:

The most important part is the next step, the reason everyone's getting crappy speeds is the APN. LG programed the default AT&T APN as wap.cingular, that's an old APN. Use the following settings and restart your phone. You should be all set.

Name: AT&T
APN: phone
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified

*On another note, if you're trying the LTE hack, you will need to have an LTE data plan on your account. Which means you need an IMEI for an LTE phone (one that AT&T will recognize) on your account for them to add the LTE plan. Once you've got that use the same APN settings, but change the APN from 'phone' to 'pta'.
Just tried it, and it seems to be working for me! I'll post a photo, but here's what I'm getting. Its not 40+ or even 70+ like I've seen some people post, but its much better than the decent enough speeds I was getting before. I had a ping of 36ms, down at 26.1, and up at 12.8, and I won't complain with that.

I just thought I would post this thread, because its been a topic coming back up on the web, and I haven't seen any new talk of it here on these forums. You're welcome to post anything you'd like, from your successes or failures, to your advice or suggestions. Heck, if you'd like to say that LTE is faster than a bologna sandwich, be my guest.

Special note for T Mobile users running either their stock OS or a ROM based on stock (not based on AOKP or CM).

If you are flashing the .33 radio on your device, and you are a TMo user running either your stock ROM or a ROM based on stock (such as Paranoid Android), you will experience an issue that for most would be a deal breaker. This issue is that during calls, there is absolutely no audio and no mic. Member thebryceee was fortunate enough to find a thread that addresses this issue. I am not going to include all of these instructions so as not to confuse anybody, but here is the link to the instructions to fix this issue. Happy flashing!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40244956

Special thanks to jmar for his additions, as well as the contribution of thebryceee.

Some additional information.

I live around Phoenix, one of TMo's new LTE markets. For those in the area and interested, a specific list of areas that will experience their LTE is as follows (this is straight from online chat with a TMo crep):
!Lhexter A: These are the places where you can get to experience the improved 4G LTE coverage:
!Lhexter A: Cities: Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Glendale, Scottsdale and Deer Valley
!Lhexter A: Landmarks/Locations: Arizona State University, Sky Harbor Airport, and the downtown Governmental and Business Centers, Chase Field, Phoenix Suns Arena, Westgate NFL Stadium, Taking Stick Baseball Fields, six Spring Training baseball stadiums, and Luke Air Force

This is the system I was running while successfully obtaining LTE usage. Before flashing the radio, I was running the Enhanced Stock 4.2.2 Kernel from Faux Kernel, and not the most current Paranoid Android 3.+ nightly (released 3/28/13), but the one prior (I hadn't updated yet), as well as the .48 radio (I assume, as I updated to Android 4.2.2 while running stock, then never flashed a radio until now). Before rebooting, but after flashing the .33 radio, I updated PA 3.+ to the version released on 3/28/13 and flashed GAPPS again.

Many sites have been saying the .33 radio and LTE usage just work with AOKP and CM, though this is a solid answer showing it works with PA as well.

Reactions: dazki_17 and jmar
Upvote 0
LzggDrf.png

T6RpQF8.png

Amazing! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Jealous. Hell, I'd be happy getting some HSPA+42 instead of just +21

Edit: Stickied thread for others to see.
Others are welcome to post info for getting the LTE to work on their carriers.

Cool. I have some things that I'd like to suggest be added to the OP after digging around. I didn't get it working until I modded a couple other things. I'll share after I run my errands.

OP, thanks again!

Reactions: jhawkkw
Upvote 0
Cool. I have some things that I'd like to suggest be added to the OP after digging around. I didn't get it working until I modded a couple other things. I'll share after I run my errands.

OP, thanks again!

Thanks for the heads up. Look forward to see your modifications. I've also uploaded the radios to my Google Drive in case we lose the version in the OP.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for your additional input. If you want me to, I'll add it to the first post when I get on my laptop. I think I need to look into those. Also, I'm now getting no audio on calls on either speaker, but the calls are going through. However, that's possibly something else. Maybe somebody would be able to compile a .zip that would perform all the necessary changes after flashing the radio.

Reactions: jhawkkw
Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for your additional input. If you want me to, I'll add it to the first post when I get on my laptop. I think I need to look into those. Also, I'm now getting no audio on calls on either speaker, but the calls are going through. However, that's possibly something else. Maybe somebody would be able to compile a .zip that would perform all the necessary changes after flashing the radio.

If you could update the OP, that would be great. That way people have all the info right there. Since I've stickied your thread, it would be very easy for people who might not look past the OP.

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Hey there, if you'd like I can merge my post into yours and then you can organize the info the way you see fit.

As far as the symptoms you are seeing with your audio drops, the steps in my post resolve that for users.

As far as a zip goes, that's beyond what I know how to do.

Let me know if you want the merge.

Thanks,

jmar

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones