• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T-Mobile Pay EFT to Switch Questions

la sal

Android Expert
Feb 19, 2011
Waukesha, WI
I am currently with Verizon and the service is excellent in my area. The issue is, I am the only line on the account. Even with my corporate discount, my monthly bill is around $95 for only 2GB of data. My wife and stepdaughter are on my Sprint account (service is slowly improving).

That is not enough data for what I have to pay. Tired of two year contracts and still have nine months left with Verizon. If I would buy the Google Nexus 5 from the Google Play Store, does T-Mobile still pay the ETF to leave Verizon? From reading I have done, you trade your phone in and when you get the ETF bill T-Mobile will pay it off up to $360. Do they require you to purchase a T-Mobile phone or can you bring your own in?

Also, if I buy the Google Nexus 5 from the Google Play Store it sounds like I could later activate it on Sprint (CDMA or GSM capable). Is this correct?

What are your eligibility requirements? In order to qualify for this ETF offer, you must be switching from a postpaid plan on a contract with another carrier and port your current numbers to T-Mobile. You would need to trade-in a mobile phone or tablet and purchase a new device with T-Mobile on a qualifying postpaid Simple Choice plan.

Directly from T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
I *think* a condition of the ETF is that you buy a phone from them. If that is indeed the case, you couldn't get the phone from the play store.

With the play store phone you can use it on ATT, T-Mobile or Sprint, but I have heard murmurings of people having trouble activating a nexus 5 bought from T-Mobile on Sprint's network.

I would think so to or you could have T-Mobile pay your Verizon ETF then jump to Sprint after a month for example.

Sucks that T-Mobile's Nexus 5 does not work on Sprint. I actually want to go with T-Mobile but I've read they have poor building penetration and my area is only good coverage. That will probably not be enough to stream Netflix during my lunch break.

Sprint has improved their service here so I know that I will get building penetration. Do not want to go back with Sprint because I really like the direction of T-Mobile as where Sprint tries to nickel and dime you on monthly bills.

Perhaps I could activate a T-Mobile Nexus 5 and see if it allows me to stream video. If it does not, return it before the 14 day purchase date. Restocking fee is $50...a bit pricey.

Upvote 0

In order to qualify for this ETF offer, you must be switching from a postpaid plan on a contract with another carrier and port your current numbers to T-Mobile. You would need to trade-in a mobile phone or tablet and purchase a new device with T-Mobile on a qualifying postpaid Simple Choice plan (you would not be able to sign up for a T-Mobile prepaid or Simple Choice Family Plan with no credit check). All lines must be activated in the same T-Mobile market with the same billing address.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones