• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

T Mobile prepaid vs vm

Considering switching from VM to TMobile. For the Nexus 4, the micro SIM activation kit would be the correct option correct?
I like to know too because I ordered the free Sim kit last night

It does appear the Nexus 4 uses a micro SIM, so that is correct. For those who ordered a standard sized SIM, if you wish, you can cut it down to micro SIM size and it should work fine. To cut it, you can either use scissors or a SIM cutter.

Reactions: MT Rotor
Upvote 0
It does appear the Nexus 4 uses a micro SIM, so that is correct. For those who ordered a standard sized SIM, if you wish, you can cut it down to micro SIM size and it should work fine. To cut it, you can either use scissors or a SIM cutter.

Isn't there some sort of sim tool that comes with the Nex 4? Or was that just for installing the sim card only?

Upvote 0
I really want the Nexus but hate the lack of uSD slot.

That's the one fear I had too when I purchased the G-Nex. But you know, once you get a really good case it becomes a pain in the rump to remove it just to get to the SD card. After thinking back on it a bit I remember that I seldom removed the one I had for my OpV, so that pretty much squashed any fears I had about the lack of an internal SD. :)

Upvote 0
I really want the Nexus but hate the lack of uSD slot.

What I really hate is charging me an extra $50 to add 8 gigs to a phone. I find it hard to believe it costs a manufacture more than $10 to make a 16GB phone over an 8GB one. Actually, In today’s market they really should have a 16GB and 32GB version. At least then I would feel like I was getting something for the $50.

That being said, I am trying desperately to talk my wife into a Nexus 4. I really don’t want to buy another iPhone.

Upvote 0
That's the one fear I had too when I purchased the G-Nex. But you know, once you get a really good case it becomes a pain in the rump to remove it just to get to the SD card.
It isn't so much the in and out of the uSD card, but just having it there for the extra storage and being able to put all of my flashable zips. But I guess I can do all that via USB.

Upvote 0
It isn't so much the in and out of the uSD card, but just having it there for the extra storage and being able to put all of my flashable zips. But I guess I can do all that via USB.

You know where else you can store them? In Dropbox. At the very root of my Dropbox folder (same place as the Public folder), I keep a folder called Private Uploads. Inside of there I have another folder for rom stuffs. I find this a perfect alternative to storage as it's right there at my fingertips and takes only seconds to move to the phone if I need it. Plus it takes up no room on the phone since I delete from the internal SD when I'm done.

That Private Folder I created pretty much takes the place of a USB cable. You can also Star certain files for offline use, too. ;)

Upvote 0
I hate to bring up an old thread but am debating whether or not to switch to the $30 T-Mobile web exclusive prepaid eventually. I've had my Optimus V since June 2011 and am thinking of retiring it eventually. I like the looks of the HTC Evo V 4G. I realize that if I stick with Virgin Mobile I'd have to get the $35 plan since I am still on the older $25 plan. Overall my experience with Virgin Mobile has been mixed. The data speeds can get slow at times and I've noticed it has dropped some recent calls. However I think I am in a 4G area so if I get the Evo V it will probably be better in terms of speed. So my question is should I save up for the Evo or a unlocked smartphone and put it on the $30 T-Mobile web exclusive plan? 100 Minutes seems to be fine for me as it seems like I rarely go over that with Virgin Mobile. Thanks for your advice!

Upvote 0
While I realize the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan is not for everyone, due to having only 100 talk minutes, getting 5GB before throttling at "3G" (HSPA+) speeds that are as fast as WiMax -- without the disadvantages of WiMax) is really nice.

only your first 100mb of data are going to come down at 4g speed on t mobiles monthly plan.

just sayin

Upvote 0
only your first 100mb of data are going to come down at 4g speed on t mobiles monthly plan.

just sayin

You appear to be thinking of T-Mobile's $50/month plan that has Unlimited minutes. The T-Mobile $30 plan is "Unlimited" with the first 5 GB unthrottled. Again, the downside of the $30 plan is that it only has 100 voice minutes (which is why I used GrooveIP when connected to WiFi), instead of the Unlimited minutes the other Monthly plans have.

Upvote 0
I hate to bring up an old thread but am debating whether or not to switch to the $30 T-Mobile web exclusive prepaid eventually. I've had my Optimus V since June 2011 and am thinking of retiring it eventually. I like the looks of the HTC Evo V 4G. I realize that if I stick with Virgin Mobile I'd have to get the $35 plan since I am still on the older $25 plan. Overall my experience with Virgin Mobile has been mixed. The data speeds can get slow at times and I've noticed it has dropped some recent calls. However I think I am in a 4G area so if I get the Evo V it will probably be better in terms of speed. So my question is should I save up for the Evo or a unlocked smartphone and put it on the $30 T-Mobile web exclusive plan? 100 Minutes seems to be fine for me as it seems like I rarely go over that with Virgin Mobile. Thanks for your advice!

Personally, I'd look at buying the Nexus 4 as your phone and going with T-Mobile. The speeds on the Nexus (or any HSPA+ 42 phone) will likely be as good or even better, even if you can get 4G (Wimax) through the Evo. Battery life should also be better, particularly since you don't have to worry if you have the 4G antenna on, using extra battery.

The only downside, that some people might have, with the Nexus is the non-replaceable battery and lack of SD card slot. Of course, with the Nexus you will have a much faster quad core processor, better camera (8 MP, though it won't have the 3D), not to mention always having the newest Android version as Google releases updates.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies! I have a Nexus 7 tablet and overall find it really nice so maybe I should choose the Nexus 4 as my next phone. I especially like the fact that I get constant software updates (have only had one on my Optimus V from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 I think) :D The only downside to the Nexus 4 seems to be the price but maybe it'll go down just like my Nexus 7 went down by $50 about a month or so after I bought it. Also I'd kind of like to have T-Mobile back. I had them for a while for prepaid but used mainly voice. Even though the price difference in monthly plans is $5 there's no point in paying extra for minutes I most likely won't even use. So far I am thinking T-Mobile.

Upvote 0
I have given this a lot more thought. I was with T-Mo for over 5 years, 4 1/2 on their full service contracted plan.

I loved them for the most part as far as customer service. Usually, when I called T-Mo customer service, I got an American on the phone speaking English as a first language. In the latter part of my days with them, they would occasionally bounce me to India (sounded like that anyway), but their Customer Service was pretty darn good. Their bills were outrageous. On my plan, I had BlackBerry (grandfathered in to the $20 BlackBerry Unlimited) and an Android and a two home lines on their now defunct T-Mo at home. Plus I had the now defunct $10 a month per line VOIP on all phones. With all this, even with the great grandfathered plans, m bill was north of $200 a month. I must have been loony tunes to pay that for over 4 1/2 years. I did like the fact that when I went to Canada and/or Europe I could call or take calls from the US while on Wifi seamlessly. Also, you could pay an extra $19 a month and get "BlackBerry International" which allowed you to use your BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) plan internationally and unlimited without fear of huge data roaming. That was nice. You can't get this with any Pre-PAY plans that I know of.

On my BlackBerry, I also had UMA Transfer to VOIP automatically. I absolutely needed this as at my home/office, I have 1 bar at best T-Mo. 2 bars Verizon. Solid bars ATT and solid bars Sprint/Virgin. Their UMA VOIP service was great the first year, but then was very spotty and dropped calls or zeroed called repeatedly. I'd be on with a client and "dead air" suddenly with the infamous lost call alert tones, usually with a client that I could not afford to drop a call with. As T-Mo stopped offering their Auto Transfer to UMA (Known then as Hotspot at home), it became useless for voice in my 3rd and 4th year no matter where I was. This was sad because it was the greatest when it first launched. Understand that this was unlike any 3rd party VOIP program. This feature AUTOMATICALLY transferred you to VOIP and transferred your cell number as well, AND the ability to text and MMS via internet from your cellular number both in and out. So, if you were say, in Paris, you could take and make calls and text and mms to the U.S. for no charge via your actual cellular number. Or, if you were cruising at 25,000 feet on a plane that had Sky-Fi, you could also take and receive text and mms from your cell number (they blocked VOIP on Sky-Fi with T-Mo UMA).

I had to switch to Virgin because I needed full bars at my home and my office - and because I could not afford $200 plus per month for phone bills. So for me, it was to save hundreds a month on my phone bill, AND to be able to use my cell in my home and my office reliably without Wifi VOIP.

For me, Pre-Pay T-Mo was not any better, of course, and actually worse as I did not have the features I had become dependent on with my old contracted T-Mo plan. I still have a BlackBerry (purely business use) on T-MO, BUT THROUGH THE SIMPLE MOBILE MVNO. I use a 3rd party VOIP at the office and it works well enough on WiFi. It's genuine BlackBerry BIS service through Simple Mobile so it rocks for $50 a month unlimited which my company is happy to pay.

The bottom line I suppose is whatever works for YOU. Virgin happens to work great where I work and live.

If T-Mo did, I'd probably still be with them.

I think as they continue to expand, you will see more and more people going to T-Mo Pre-pay. Time will tell.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones