• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Taking the ROM-changing plunge

So far, the biggest problem not attributable to IOHS error is that custom ringtone setting doesn't seem to be working straight. The one I want to use for DH exists on the system, can be selected, but when he test-calls (we'd had some trouble with my incoming calls), he gets the default I've chosen.

Question: is the alog file thing a problem on this ROM?

Second question: where should I put the startup/shutdown sound files?

CM7 doesn't log files

Upvote 0
Like I said, I have restored non-system apps with Titanium, just don't restore the data. Many times when people have an issue with a ROM, it is from them restoring data from a different ROM.

Yes it may take a while to get all your apps if you download them from the market, but you only have to do it once. Make a nandroid, then if you switch and decide to come back to that ROM, you only need to restore it.

Upvote 0
DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT USE TITANIUM BACKUP, it restores everything that was on you phone including system data which could conflict with your new system data and make stuff to not work. use mybackup to backup and restore your apps and data. mybackup does not back up any systems data.
Titanium Backup only Backs Up/Restores System files unless you tell it to. I use TB with no problems, I only backup/restore User Applications which are the non system apps that you install from the Market, Amazon, etc.

Upvote 0
Titanium Backup only Backs Up/Restores System files unless you tell it to. I use TB with no problems, I only backup/restore User Applications which are the non system apps that you install from the Market, Amazon, etc.

Exactly. It asks if you want just the apps or the apps + system data. If you choose just the apps it's fine. I just did it for the first time a few weeks ago and haven't had any problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones