• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tbolt into Landscape mode?

jayochs

Android Enthusiast
May 14, 2010
Brick, NJ
So just curious, my buddy got the Tbolt today (it's sweet, but i still love my incredible lol) and i noticed home screens don't go into landscape. i thought this was a main feature of sense 2.0? on my inc, i'm running warm z which is a desire z ported rom, and i go into landscape on the homescreens...did they leave this feature out on the newer thunderbolt?! thanks!

Reactions: jj3699
so what you're saying is that there's no setting that we're missing here or something? blah. wonder why the desire, and desire roms, do it but the nee bolt doesn't? interesting. also, you're getting better battery life huh? i couldn't imagine the stock 1400 getting better life than my htc 1500 really, or even the stock 1350, seeing as it's got a bigger screen, slcd, and 4g....i'll have to hear what kind of life he's getting in a few days, but i told him he's probably going to want to get a.bigger battery. he's coming from an iphone and he loves it much more already, so i did well at converting ;-)

Upvote 0
so what you're saying is that there's no setting that we're missing here or something? blah. wonder why the desire, and desire roms, do it but the nee bolt doesn't? interesting. also, you're getting better battery life huh? i couldn't imagine the stock 1400 getting better life than my htc 1500 really, or even the stock 1350, seeing as it's got a bigger screen, slcd, and 4g....i'll have to hear what kind of life he's getting in a few days, but i told him he's probably going to want to get a.bigger battery. he's coming from an iphone and he loves it much more already, so i did well at converting ;-)

No...no setting you are missing. Most Android launchers that the manufacturers use (Sense, Touchwiz, Motoblur) do not support landscape mode. This can be hacked of course and I'm sure it will be hacked on this one. Also, you could use an aftermarket launcher like Launcher Pro, ADW, ext. These do support landscape modes...but you'll lose all your cool HTC sense widgets :D

Upvote 0
I'm honestly curious so don't take this as flaming/trolling: why would you need/want your home screens in landscape mode?

I honestly don't see the benefit of this or what purpose it might serve. In fact, I found it quite annoying on my INC when running custom ROMs/Launchers when it would switch to landscape when I accidentally rotated my phone.

Upvote 0
haha nice, a buffalo guy!

so, here's my question.....my warm z rom is based off the desire; on the stock desire rom, does it go into landscape, or was that something that was just added to the rom itself, as a customization?

I can't say for sure cause I've never played with a Desire. But I'm guessing it was just a hacked launcher which allowed you to do this.

I'm honestly curious so don't take this as flaming/trolling: why would you need/want your home screens in landscape mode?

I honestly don't see the benefit of this or what purpose it might serve. In fact, I found it quite annoying on my INC when running custom ROMs/Launchers when it would switch to landscape when I accidentally rotated my phone.

You come out of an app where you were using the phone in landscape. You want to go to your home screen and launch another app which you are going to use in landscape...and you have to rotate your phone twice to do this. It's annoying.

For the most part, you would want your Home Screen in portrait mode...but it's nice to have it in landscape on occasion...so why not have the option?

Upvote 0
i switched to Tag home today because i didnt like not being able to switch home screens with the push of a button. it freaked me out a few times that it went to landscape mode even though i was used to it with my droid.

instead of hacking Sense to be able to rotate, why not hack the HTC Widgets to be used with other UI?

Upvote 0
i switched to Tag home today because i didnt like not being able to switch home screens with the push of a button. it freaked me out a few times that it went to landscape mode even though i was used to it with my droid.

instead of hacking Sense to be able to rotate, why not hack the HTC Widgets to be used with other UI?

That was explored with the D1. No one was ever able to successfully port them in a functional ROM. Just not gonna happen...

Upvote 0
noble, you're 100% correct.

i said to my friend, "hey check out HTC hub for some new skins"

he looked at me confused. i looked at his phone. there was no HTC hub.

therefore, you're right: the tbolt is SUPPOSED to go into landscape because it's sense 2, it's supposed to have HTC hub, etc etc but it doesn't. why cripple the phone when other HTC phones already run this stuff? meh, i knew from the instant i started playing with the Tbolt that i was glad i have an inc..screen size aside, the LCD blows compared to AMOLED.

Upvote 0
yeah i told him to hold off on rooting for now..ifigure there's nothing really out yet and i saw when rooting you have to use an older tbolt firmware...sooooo idk i don't like that right now. i'll wait till a recovery is release datleast.

The current root method is a little convoluted...but I'm sure that there will be a one click (or at least simplified) solution soon.

I think this device will have pretty strong dev support and I think you are going to be seeing hacked ROMs coming pretty fast.

But at least we know we can root and ROM. That's always a good start.

Oh...and you have to downgrade firmware to root but the latest instructions have you put the release firmware back on. Recovery is working as well.

Upvote 0
oh interesting. yeah, since it's brand new still nad he's still under the 30 day warranty, i told him to wait a bit.

plus he's noticing random things saying "network error, check your internet connection" as in 3g is down randomly for him but isn't for me. weird. we might have to return it and get a new one if it keeps it up :\

Upvote 0
I'll post a pic when I get home. The icons rotate but the bottom option buttons don't. I'm new to Android so I have no clue what caused it. I barely have any apps on here.
Pic should be attached.

Attachments

• 215421.jpg
    215421.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones