• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tether vs. Wifi hotspot

Is it me or does wifi hotspot seem faster than tethering? I use both wifi hotspot and tethering on my macbook pro. Wifi hotspot is a very nice feature but sometimes i like to tether because for some reason i think it would be faster using a USB cable. Since Android doesn't really support Mac OS I have to tether using PDAnet, not sure if it's the program that interferes with the data transfer. Another reason why I like to use PDAnet is because it measures my up/download data, since i'm limited to 1GB per month, well not really limited but i like to stay within my $5 dollar a month budget for phone internet.
I also use 3G watch dog to monitor my usage but PDAnet and 3GWD always have different readings so now i'm unsure as to which one to follow, so i just go with whatever programs gives me the higher readings. So anways, are you guys witnessing the same thing when it comes to internet prformence when using wifi hotspot vs. tethering? maybe it's different on PC:thinking:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones