• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tethering via usb

boxermansr

Oct 18, 2009
El Paso
I have unlimited data with Verizon, and I also pay the extra 30.00 for the hotspot feature. For some reason when I try to tether via USB (so my phone can also be charging, and since it's generally more reliable) I seem to get the connection dropped within 60-90 seconds after I'm using it.

If I use the mobile hotspot app and just tether via wifi, the conniption works flawlessly. I was wondering if I'm missing a setting somewhere, or if the built in USB tethering is just plain crapola. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

The USB tethering should work fine. I use it on my M7 on a regular basis, though I am with Sprint. I don't see why there would be any difference. One thing I would check is the cable you are using and the USB port it is plugging into.

Make sure there is not a loose connection that is causing the problem. You can also check to make sure (if you are using Windows) that under power settings->change plan settings> selective USB suspend is not enabled. You can also make sure your laptop does have it's own selective suspend bloatware, which can also screw with tethering.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if Foxfi is working as a hotspot with this phone (not using usb)? Do you still need to download pdanet to get this to work on Verizon? I see above you said it was working for you but it's giving me the pop up saying I need to call and subscribe to the service. (I'm still on unlimited) thx

EDIT: I just downloaded pdanet and it's still giving me the pop-up. Any advice/help to ge this working or do they need to send another update out?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones