• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text Messaging Annoyance

So, I had the motorola droid. And sometimes I'd send a text message...and It would end up going to the wrong person. As in, for examply this morning a friend texted me something that was not suppose to go to me, but they typed the message to the person that it should have went to but it did not, is this just a motorola droid problem? because i have not had this problem with my new driod incredible..

so wait, your believing them when they sent they typed a different name and yet it went to you? and your believing IF that is even true, that they do not have your number accidentally under that persons name. clearly if someone else does this and it gets to you they (1) did text you and thought they did not or (2) they have your # under someone elses name.

but on one hand you say "sometimes I'd send a text message...and It would end up going to the wrong person."

but then gave an example of when a person claimed to have text someone else, it came to you?

if you send a text to person A and it goes to person B, only real way this can happen is if you have person B's number listed under person A's contact.

so... huh?

Upvote 0
so wait, your believing them when they sent they typed a different name and yet it went to you? and your believing IF that is even true, that they do not have your number accidentally under that persons name. clearly if someone else does this and it gets to you they (1) did text you and thought they did not or (2) they have your # under someone elses name.

but on one hand you say "sometimes I'd send a text message...and It would end up going to the wrong person."

but then gave an example of when a person claimed to have text someone else, it came to you?

if you send a text to person A and it goes to person B, only real way this can happen is if you have person B's number listed under person A's contact.

so... huh?

I believe him, although I've never had it happen on my Droid. I have seen it happen numerous times on my wife's eris tho! I used to think the same thing, damn she messed it up again and then I saw for myself. Clicking one of her contacts to call them and having it call someone else, or sending a text to one person and having it go to another. What causes it, I have no clue but I have seen it happen first hand and it can be incredibly annoying!

Upvote 0
I've noticed a somewhat similar problem but I think it might be due to lag when typing out a name. Perhaps you want to text a "Sheryl" so As you start typing "Sha" you have three Names like Sharon, Sheryl and Shaun and and you type the "r" you quickly tap her name and the split second you do Sharon gets picked because it's location in the drop box moves and you end up sending a text to Sharon instead. Hopefully that example made some sense.

I've also had the same thing happen in the call log and I'll go to call someone right after I hang up a previous call and the call log updates a little sluggishly so by the time I go to tap the person I want to call the line of names shifts down one spot and I call whoever was before or after.

I think this is merely an issue of tapping too fast and not paying close attention but I could be wrong since I was not there to witness anything and perhaps there really is a bug on a few devices. Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents :)

Upvote 0
What kinda texts you sending there bud? Lol jk

Do you really want to ask that question?

As for the problem posted here, I have never ran into this issue (knock on wood). I'm not sure what would be causing this issue, except that you may be going too fast and not verifying that the person you are sending the text to is actually the person you want to send the text to.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Glad I remembered this thread - just saw this in twitter:

Twitter / TechREACTION.net: Android SMS bug causing me ...

The actual article:

Android SMS bug causing messages to be sent to random recipients - TechREACTION.net Forums

The issue is being reported by multiple users over on Google’s support forums, on handsets ranging between several models including the Google Nexus One and HTC Incredible.

And here is the Google Nexus One Forums list as well....

text messages going to wrong person - software gets confused!! this is a major issue - Nexus one - Android Help

Upvote 0

Well, now this changes things quite a bit. I can't help but wonder if Google is really looking at this issue. The link you posted to the official Google Nexus One support forum doesn't have any posts from the Google team regarding this issue! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well, guess that means I'm gonna have to start calling my girlfriend instead form now on. :p

But seriously, this is a MAJOR issue that needs to be fixed like last year. I wonder if anyone tries to sue Google over this. This issue is going to get a LOT of people in trouble.

Kratos

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, my opinion is that it has something to do with how contacts and face book integrate with each other. I don't use facebook and have never had the issue at all.. My wife is a heavy facebook user, with about 200 contacts that are a combo of facebook and regular contacts.

She has the problem almost everyday on her eris of texting or calling someone else when the contact she wants is clearly open. Sometimes she catches it when calling since it does show the actual number it has decided to call once the dialing begins...

Upvote 0
Google is good about looking into things without saying they are looking into them.

Interesting, very interesting. I would think that for something as sensitive and private as text messages, they would be more willing to make a public statement to assure us users that they are working hard to fix the issue. Unless, of course, they are going to try to cover this up. Send out a silent patch or update that will fix the issue and then say "there was never an issue with this".

I'm not sure if Google has that much disregard for their customers and ethics, but in this day and age I wouldn't be surprised. There are a lot of companies that are kinda shady like that. I sure do hope Google isn't like that. I finally started trusting them when I got my new phone.

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones