• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Texting no longer working

My texting just went dead, and I can't figure out how to get it back. I am using an original Droid bought new last May, running 2.2.1 that has never been rooted. The phone's memory is not running low.

Yesterday I was texting on the phone as usual. I put it down and walked away for a bit, came back, and there were two new messages. I opened up messaging, and all other messages were deleted besides these two. I had my previous messages saved with SMS Backup & Restore.

I used SMS Backup & Restore in order to retrieve the messages. It successfully backed up my lost messages. I could see the conversations they were all there. However, when I tried to enter a conversation the messaging app would either crash or cause the phone to entirely reboot.

I downloaded Handcent SMS and the results were the same. Either a program crash or the entire phone rebooting. The problem was not fixed with a battery pull, and all other functionality on the phone seems to be working fine.

Does anybody know what the potential problem is and what a potential fix is? Also, would Verizon service this is at a store free of charge or do you have to pay to get a phone checked out? I have no idea about the possible warranty situation.

Thanks a lot guys. tl;dr: messaging not working; halp

My texting just went dead, and I can't figure out how to get it back. I am using an original Droid bought new last May, running 2.2.1 that has never been rooted. The phone's memory is not running low.

Yesterday I was texting on the phone as usual. I put it down and walked away for a bit, came back, and there were two new messages. I opened up messaging, and all other messages were deleted besides these two. I had my previous messages saved with SMS Backup & Restore.

I used SMS Backup & Restore in order to retrieve the messages. It successfully backed up my lost messages. I could see the conversations they were all there. However, when I tried to enter a conversation the messaging app would either crash or cause the phone to entirely reboot.

I downloaded Handcent SMS and the results were the same. Either a program crash or the entire phone rebooting. The problem was not fixed with a battery pull, and all other functionality on the phone seems to be working fine.

Does anybody know what the potential problem is and what a potential fix is? Also, would Verizon service this is at a store free of charge or do you have to pay to get a phone checked out? I have no idea about the possible warranty situation.

Thanks a lot guys. tl;dr: messaging not working; halp

Several things you can try is to go into Settings->Applications->Manage Applications and try and clear your data and cache on the handcent messaging app. You will lose your text message but it may reset the app. I don't know if there is a way to redo the stock messaging app without root.

You can go into Verizon and it will not cost you anything to work on your phone based on my experiences. The warrantly status (12 mos after purchase or longer if you have extended warranty) comes in to play if your phone needs to be replaced.

A last ditch solution (and I mean last ditch) is to do a factory reset or hard reset on your phone. When you do this it restores your phone to its out of the box condition "software-wise". This means you will have to re-download your apps and will lose all of your app data/settings such as game levels and in-app data (it does not erase the SD card). This is the best I can offer. Hopefully someone else may have other ideas.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones