• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Texts go to wrong person?

It seems like it needs access to many things on the phone. Also, it states that it will cause the phone to not sleep. Is there a setting to change this?

A lot of apps have that attribute. It's no big deal. In the case of SMS Popup, it auto wakes the phone when you get a text so you can see it without having to press the power button and swipe the homescreen bar. It's a big plus and it'll go right back to sleep after the screen timeout comes back into play.

Upvote 0
I think I may wait a bit to see if some of these issues are fixed with SMS Popup. It sounds cool and all, but I'd not rather have a quirk like that with texting. Also, the quick reply would probably be the only reason I would want this app.

For now, I'll stick with stock messaging app. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
Ive had the incredible since release day and within the last 2 weeks ive been having some texting issues. I will send a text to someone and a completely different person will recieve my text. It happened on my original Droid after a few months as well. Ive double checked everytime, and no im not accidentally choosing th wrong person. For instance if i send a text to Jenn (it has her name, her picture and number) but after being sent ill long press the message and it shows someone elses number. Verizon is not being very helpful and its starting to get annoying. Has anyone had this issue as well? And if so do you know of any fixes.

**ive had the issue in stock messaging app as well as Handcent

Upvote 0
exactly...thats the problem for me. the texts that tend to wanna go to other people are never the normal "hey how are ya" lol. its getting frustrating cuz verizon is tryin to tell me its 3rd party app causin the problem. i have hard reset the phone and had it happen w out any apps on it. so there full of it

Upvote 0
FYI I had several posts in the linked thread and have not had any further issues since using SMS Pop-up and a 2 button configuration that forces me back to the inbox in order to reply. Not sure if a bug was worked out in 2.2 or not but I've also been running it since the leak was made available. So nothing firm I guess but just wanted to update with what's worked with my config.

Upvote 0
Mine just started doing this last week. I never would have realized that my phone was acting up, until someone contacted me to ask me what I was talking about. My phone said it sent a text to person A, but Person B received it. Called Verizon and they told me they have never heard of this happening, they told me it sounds like the software got messed up. I was told to reset the phone to factory defaults. I don't think it has happened again since, but I really can't tell for sure.

Upvote 0
i have an htc incredible on verizon. I text a lot and i have many "conversations" going. I have not downloaded any texting apps (i use whatever was stock). And this has happened to me several times. I open a conversation, respond to the new text in the convo, and the text is sent to a different person. that different person has always been one of the other conversations i've had going (this may or may not be a coincidence). i've set my phone to delete messages when they reach 200 per conversation. this really enrages me. it's put me in some embarrassing situations. so, obviously this problem does not have to do with 3rd party apps. I've read about this problem being on other networks and other phones. though, when i called verizon about it, they, of course, had never heard of the problem. Google NEEDS to address this ASAP. if anyone has remedied the problem, please post!

Upvote 0
I have an HTC incredible on Verizon. I have not installed any 3rd party apps. I text A LOT. i'll have multiple "conversations". i'll get a new message, open that conversation to respond, write a response, and send the message. it shows it sent to that person until i exit that conversation, then it shows that it's actually sent the message to a different person in a different conversation. this has put me in several embarrasing situations. i've read on different forums that this happens on different devices and providers, so it must be an android software bug. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!! if anyone knows a solution, please let me know. i've called tech support and they play dumb: "oh, we've never heard of that before". yeah right, it's all over forums...any help would be greatly appreciated!

sorry to post similar messages twice...getting used to this forum.

Upvote 0
this happened to me today..i have the samsung captivate and i text to one person and another person received it and replied back..i was shocked and glad i didnt write anything i didnt want them to see..i checked the log and the text was sent to the correct person...i had alot of threads under messages..maybe cleaning them up from time to time and deleting em will fix this.

Upvote 0
I also have the HTC Incredible on Verizon. Stock text app. No 3rd party app. I have multiple conversations as well. Mine happens when I "click" to open one of them and reply. Instead of opening the conversation I "clicked" on, it opens a different conversation. Sometimes w/ someone that's all the way at the bottom of my conversations (not even close to the one I clicked).

I've caught it a few times but it's been happening more frequently. I don't realize I've text the wrong person until that (wrong) person replies.

Anyone have any solutions yet? Or know if this has been reported to Google?

Upvote 0
I know there is a problem going around with texting, Google acknowledged it just yesterday (where texts get sent to the wrong person among your contacts). But is there anything that can be done in the mean time? I had her use Chomp, but she has the same issue, some texts go to the wrong person.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones