• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thanksgiving 23

olbriar

Jun 19, 2010
Land of Oz
As the Thanksgiving approaches, I'm sure that everyone has made their plans for the holiday. We are gathering at my son's house which is only a ten minute drive. My son is smoking both a spiral cut ham and a turkey. His oldest daughter, son-in-law and their three children will be there bringing side dishes. My youngest daughter and her husband and two children will be doing the same. The wife and I will also contribute and I'm sure we'll all have a great time and eat too much.

What are your plans for the holiday? Does your family have an unusual dish that is always served on Thanksgiving? One of my son-law's parents always have lasagna for the holiday. My wife's parents always fixed oyster dressing to go with the turkey. A friend of mine always has German sausages and potato dumplings that he called kenadles (sp) for Thanksgiving.
My family always had turkey, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, dressing, turkey gravy, green bean casserole, and cranberry slices. I forgot, we always have noodles too.

I hope that you get to share the time with friends and family. If you travel, do travel safe.

My wife use to work for Macy's so to start the day it's the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's always fun to watch.
https://www.macys.com/s/parade/

Afternoon will be football time and chicken wings

This year it's just my wife and I. Most of our relatives are all out of state. Bought a smoke turkey breast from Robertson's. We have had them in the past and they are very good
Smoked Turkey

For sides we are making: cranberry sauce, turkey stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole

Upvote 0
going to get a rib roast from wholefoods....probably either a 2 bone or 3 bone roast.......its gonna be delicious. i also bought some turkey legs and thighs that i am going to smoke on my Ninja Woodfire grill.

sides are going to be sweet potato gratin, brocolinni with shitake and baby bella mushrooms, and a tomato and cucumber salad with mozzarella.

GONNA BE EATING GOOD THIS THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I always tell myself it's just one day of 365. Eat up! At least I'm not doing dinner here this year. Eating leftover for two or three days is always good but gets old. The day after Thanksgiving at my grandparent's house, dinner was turkey pie. Basically everything mixed together and baked. :) That was the end of it. The rest fed the dogs.

Upvote 0
With the three of us here (plus one Shih Tzu money pit), I thought I'd try something I've never done: cook the turkey with our rotisserie.

We have one of those "set it and forget it" Showtime rotisseries and absolutely LOVE it for chicken. I bought an 11-pound turkey and I'm pretty sure it will BARELY fit into the machine... if not, I have a rotisserie attachment for the Weber grill. But yes, we'll coat it with the usual olive oil and Cavender's seasoning and roll it on the spit this year.

And wow, are we gonna EAT! We've decided to help serve Thanksgiving dinner to the less fortunate at our church Thursday evening... so we're going to have our dinner at the house on Wednesday. Then have another dinner at the church Thursday. Then come back to leftovers all weekend!

Upvote 0
I had an early Thanksgiving last Friday at my cabin with three other life long friends and their mates. It's become a tradition to enjoy the fest in the woods and is always quality time spent. It gives us old guys a chance to break bread together and then enjoy the holiday with our families later. This year was no exception, we had a great time, ate too much, and caught up on what life has dealt us since we last were together.

Upvote 0
Thanksgiving for Mrs' family will be here at home. Dec 1st our daughter will be one year old! She's up and around walking and baby-talking up a storm! Mrs' parents will be here as well as her sister who also has a baby girl 2 months old.

On tap:

Turkey
Ham
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Cranberry stuff (you know that sliced jelly?)
Various and unimportant veggies
Various wines (I don't drink though)
Non alcoholic Heineken zero for me.
Blueberry Cobbler
Pumpkin Cheesecake.

That ought to do it.

Pumpkin Thanksgiving GIF by Bath & Body Works

Upvote 0
Thanksgiving for Mrs' family will be here at home. Dec 1st our daughter will be one year old! She's up and around walking and baby-talking up a storm! Mrs' parents will be here as well as her sister who also has a baby girl 2 months old.

On tap:

Turkey
Ham
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Cranberry stuff (you know that sliced jelly?)
Various and unimportant veggies
Various wines (I don't drink though)
Non alcoholic Heineken zero for me.
Blueberry Cobbler
Pumpkin Cheesecake.

That ought to do it.

Pumpkin Thanksgiving GIF by Bath & Body Works

Don't eat too much :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
I anxiously anticipate a glorious meal at my Son's. However, I'm not excited about the eating schedule. Dinner is to be served around noon. NOON! The idea is to accommodate the little ones and their nap times. I only eat one meal a day and it is consumed early evening. I won't have the appetite to pig out at noon. Maybe I should skip eating Wednesday. :)

Upvote 0
Net grab:
Why is a rib roast called prime rib?

What Is Prime Rib?

Prime rib is a classic roast beef preparation made from the beef rib primal cut, usually roasted with the bone in and served with a simple pan sauce made from its natural juices (au jus). The word "prime" is a legal designation that refers to the fact that the beef has been graded prime by the USDA.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones