• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Big List of Home Launchers - June 8, 2013

It's my favorite also, because it's rather light and I love the dock. It won't work on my Strat though, so my main launcher atm is GoLauncher. Overall it's probably be best one in terms of smoothness, add-ons, and options. But I would prefer Zeam. I also keep SPB Shell and Rocket Launcher on my phone.

Upvote 0
I was using Apex Launcher for a while but I saw that Nova Launcher was released to the market. I wasn't sure about switching until I saw who the developer was. As soon as I saw that Nova was made by TeslaCoil software (WidgetLocker, Tesla LED, etc) I didn't hesitate do download it and get the "Prime" (paid) version. The launcher is awesome, smooth, and has all the features I want. If you have ICS on your phone I HIGHLY recommend Nova launcher.

Reactions: Scur
Upvote 0
TSF Shell is finally out, so I grabbed it. I'm finding out it's probably overpriced. It's really nice, but it's not the be-all-end-all of launchers.
So far, it's very smooth. No dock on the bottom, there are tabs along the side instead. Not bad, just unused to it atm. I'm really liking that the default home screen is the last one you were on.
There is an lack of options, however. No swiping from one screen to another, you must use the corner button so select your screen. Getting used to that. And you can't adjust the number of screens. You're stuck at 4 screens plus the app drawer screen. Meh, not a huge deal. Also, I'm trying to figure how to add shortcuts to the screen. Might have to use an app to create shortcuts.
Touching and dragging brings up the lasso, but it only works on folders you've created. A bit annoying sometimes, but I'm getting used to that too. The biggest downside about that is since it doesn't support scrolling widgets, I'm always trying to lasso my widgets.
The biggest issue was that rebooting my phone wiped all the screens clean. I was all WTF! USELESS APP! but found out that it only happened the first time. Hopefully it just needed to fill variables or something like that to get up and running. So after getting it running, drag a few apps out into a folder, add a widget, and reboot. Then do it again. They should stick the second time.
So, now that I've figured out a few things and have seemed to have gotten the kinks out, it seems to be running fine. Very frustrating at first, and it would have been nice to have been warned about the reboot, but I've gone from a rocky start to smooth operations.
I highly urge you to read the help pop up at the beginning. It's not long, and will clarify things.

Upvote 0
TSF Shell is finally out, so I grabbed it. I'm finding out it's probably overpriced. It's really nice, but it's not the be-all-end-all of launchers.
So far, it's very smooth. No dock on the bottom, there are tabs along the side instead. Not bad, just unused to it atm. I'm really liking that the default home screen is the last one you were on.
There is an lack of options, however. No swiping from one screen to another, you must use the corner button so select your screen. Getting used to that. And you can't adjust the number of screens. You're stuck at 4 screens plus the app drawer screen. Meh, not a huge deal. Also, I'm trying to figure how to add shortcuts to the screen. Might have to use an app to create shortcuts.
Touching and dragging brings up the lasso, but it only works on folders you've created. A bit annoying sometimes, but I'm getting used to that too. The biggest downside about that is since it doesn't support scrolling widgets, I'm always trying to lasso my widgets.
The biggest issue was that rebooting my phone wiped all the screens clean. I was all WTF! USELESS APP! but found out that it only happened the first time. Hopefully it just needed to fill variables or something like that to get up and running. So after getting it running, drag a few apps out into a folder, add a widget, and reboot. Then do it again. They should stick the second time.
So, now that I've figured out a few things and have seemed to have gotten the kinks out, it seems to be running fine. Very frustrating at first, and it would have been nice to have been warned about the reboot, but I've gone from a rocky start to smooth operations.
I highly urge you to read the help pop up at the beginning. It's not long, and will clarify things.

From your description it sounds like there are more negatives than positives. What are the advantages of this over other launchers?

Upvote 0
Thought I'd share my experiences, too. I notice that I agree with most of you. We are looking for performance, features, ease of use. I also tried a lot (probably too many) launchers and tend to stick to a certain group. Some of my favorites are Tag Home, Zeam, and Go Launcher Ex. But, according to the usage, the absolute favorite is Tag Home.

I loved Zeam but it started lagging at some point. It got bigger and then was getting killed by the system all the time and took too long to start back up again. The experience just became too painful.
Go Launcher is OK but missing the feature that made (old) Tag Home my favorite - categories. Tag Home uses tags to group applications. These tags can then be dragged into the dock. So I end up with five dock buttons that trigger different app lists (tags). Also, it doesn't get killed nearly as often as others although it is not running as a service. Either that or it gets up and running pretty darn fast so I don't notice any slowdown.
Apart from that, it is also absolutely the smallest in terms of memory use. This was the thing that made it to the top of my list.

I am also using Elixir to create a notification launch widget with the apps/functions I need available from any app, just by opening the notification area. On the home screen I have only one shortcut that opens Elixir again. This time with various setting- and toggle-buttons and indicators.

Thanks everyone for suggestions. I have tried some of the recommended launchers but found that they do not offer me any benefits to Tag Home. They either use much more memory, or lack in the way of organizing apps into folders, etc. So, for now, staying with the old favorite.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
I use Folder Organizer by Fabio Collini for categorizing my apps, plus I can categorize most any object on my phone. I can use all kinds of different icons so they will look good with my current look. The only downside is the first setup time, but it's worth it. I can make the links to the different categories either shortcuts or widgets, and can even nest them. So I have that function with every launcher.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Just installed Lightning Launcher. Seems that the whole purpose is to have a launcher that is light on resources.
When I add wallpaper and the calendar widget, its memory usage gets close to TagHome's but just a bit lower. Will try it out. Seems quite interesting and allows for customization of icons.
No categories, though. I'll try to get used to the linear app list as I'd like to avoid starting another app like Apps Organizer.

Reactions: dmchance
Upvote 0
I've been using (when on GB) Holo Launcher. After hopping on and off ICS (using the still-alpha CM9 for the Droid X2) I've gotten a real hankering for ICS, and Holo is my favorite ICS-like launcher for GB so far. There are plenty of themes for other launchers, but I really like the favorites tab in the launcher. It's allowed me to ditch the folder organizer I was using, and I can put folders in the dock (I keep a games folder in there for my daughter).

Upvote 0
ssLauncher is my favorite on Nexus 7. Soooooo many ways to change things. Tried many of the others, but the configuration options on ss are amazing. No grid (place anything, anywhere), resize-recolor-rename-refont text and icons, nice premade screen/app drawer, nice premade contacts screen, internal clock-date-batt status. So far no problems.

Upvote 0
Updates

Upvote 0
I rarely advocate launchers, but as a Logitech Revue owner Open Launcher for Google TV is the one I've been waiting for. I've tried a few others that would work on the Revue, but none of them were really geared for it and it always showed. Open Launcher is something I can finally get behind.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones