• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The cement beat my Dinc2 up

mojo pin

Jun 19, 2011
I am so mad at myself! I've had my phone for two weeks now and I love it! It seemed to be very tough, as I've dropped it a couple times (nothing major, just on the carpet but it hit the wall or the metal on the bed on the way down) without showing a single mark. Last night we were out doing fireworks and I had a Roman candle in one hand (not lit) and my phone in the other. It was just one of those things where I lost my grip on it, and my phone went tumbling down onto the cement. Of course it couldn't have landed on its back... That would have made things much too easy for me. Instead, it landed on its face. Miraculously enough, the screen still looks perfect. No chips or scratches. But the outer casing is all messed up. All along the top there are scratches and scuffs, there are a couple minor scuffs on the sides, but the bottom is the worst. On the lower left corner the casing is bent inward, which pulled the surrounding areas away from the body of the phone and now there are small gaps. There is also a very good sized chip on the screen directly next to that. It doesn't affect the viewing part of the screen at all or the menu buttons at the bottom because it's so low. But it looks like crap. My pretty little phone is all beat up. :( I don't know how it got that messed up. I'm pretty short, so it didn't have that far to fall! It looks more like someone actually threw it onto the cement really hard.

I can't bring myself to do an insurance claim right now since I've only had it for two weeks, money is a little tight right now, and it's still working just fine. So I'm thinking I'm going to just buy a case for it (if I had just done that in the first place, this would never have happened!) to try and cover the marks. I found one online called Trident Aegis that looks kinda cute and seems to be very durable. I'm not familiar with this line but it looks like it's a two part case. The first is a silicone cover you put on and the second is the polycarbonate shell. My only concern with it is that it will make the phone too big and bulky. I don't want that since this is such a nice little lightweight phone. Coming from a Thunderbolt, I don't think I'll ever go back to a brick-like phone again. Does anyone have any experience with these cases? It looks like it will cover all the areas that I need covered. Trident Aegis Case for HTC DROID Incredible 2, Pink AG-INC-S-PK - HTC DROID Incredible 2 Protector Cases If I don't get that one I'll probably just go with a regular silicone gel skin. It may not cover everything but I just hate those plastic snap-on cases.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the same thing just happened to me after only two weeks. I didn't do any damage to the screen and I did have a case on it. It was the Verizon case that came in the bundle package. A small portion of the corner wasn't fully protected and it happened to hit right there! It lifted the little frame up on the lower portion of the phone. I called the HTC repair number (1-866-449-8358) and they said that if I sent it to them, they would take a look at it and email me an estimate.

I would highly recommend an Otterbox case!

Upvote 0
Well, I ended up going with a tpu case I found on ebay. It was half the price and basically looked the same as the Trident case I was looking at. Unfortunately, I think I've only created more problems with it. The first time I put it on the phone I saw that the bottom left corner that's all messed up wasn't fitting in there right since the housing is pulled up and away from the body of the phone. It was kind of sticking out. So I thought I'd take the case off and try to get the bottom in first. I had no idea it would be so hard to get it off! Since that was the corner sticking out, I tried to work it off there, which seems to have pulled the housing away from the bottom of the phone as well (right next to where it's bent in). I ended up having to use a knife to wedge in there and pry it off which made me a little nervous. Now I'm afraid to try to put the case on again because I have no idea if I'll be able to get it off.

Is there some sort of trick to this? I think my phone is messed up enough now to the point where I'll be doing an insurance claim as soon as I can. :( I'm going to call to see if I can have the charge added to my next bill, rather than having to pay it now. If I can I'll probably just do it now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones