• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The future future of android auto

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
I like the idea of this, having android in a car, but here's where I question it's relativism. All our android phones are basically out of date when our contract is up. Sometimes we keep our phones an extra year, or 2 if the phone is lucky. But after that, then what? We get a new and improved phone right.

Well, I'm curious to know the futures future in android auto. Sure, when it comes out, it will have great hardware, and have the latest software, but unlike a phone, many people don't get a new car every 2-3 years. (Your lucky if you do), and even after that, other people will still own it.

What's going to happen to the future of android auto after that? In 5 years will the hardware not be able to keep up with the software or vice-versa? How long will these devices (Cars) get updates and will it still be usable in say 10 years?

Good point, but no doubt car manufacturers, like phone manufacturers, will eventually get the hate for limiting OTA updates to Android Auto for older models, instead suggesting that owners "upgrade" to a later model car to get the most features... even though those features will work just fine in older cars. So most people will be stuck with the Android version that came with the car (or maybe 2 OTAs after that). Folks like us will have to root & ROM our cars to stay current.

Reactions: shiner01
Upvote 0
Folks like us will have to root & ROM our cars to stay current.
Bumble-Bee-transformers-23564500-448-600.jpg

;):cool:

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Android Auto is more like screen casting. It allows your phone to send what is on it's screen to a car infotainment system. Also interact with some infotainment screen touches and perhaps some other buttons on the steering wheel. My only complaint is that it isn't entirely wireless and requires a USB tether. Maybe they can get wifi based wireless HDMI working later on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones