• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Galaxy Note 9 Rumor & Pre-Release Thread

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    Can you believe that the Galaxy S9 will be announced in just two weeks? WOW! And with it in full production, all eyes turn to Samsung's top flagship beast of the year... the Galaxy Note 9, coming in August!

I've been reading a flurry of articles about patent filings and prototypes, all of which need to be taken with a grain of salt. Until the Note 9 is actually announced at the August Unpacked Event, it's all rumor and conjecture. But it's FUN!

Here's a concept video that pretty much covers everything we think we know so far about the Note 9: and it's a GORGEOUS concept!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=roFcI3TeKD4

Edit: We have opened our Note 9 forum/channel - head on over for some good old fashion speculation!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Can you believe that the Galaxy S9 will be announced in just two weeks? WOW! And with it in full production, all eyes turn to Samsung's top flagship beast of the year... the Galaxy Note 9, coming in August!

I've been reading a flurry of articles about patent filings and prototypes, all of which need to be taken with a grain of salt. Until the Note 9 is actually announced at the August Unpacked Event, it's all rumor and conjecture. But it's FUN!

Here's a concept video that pretty much covers everything we think we know so far about the Note 9: and it's a GORGEOUS concept!

I don't do any real research until I see it in a humans hand....

Even if it is a demo. 98% of the phone doesn't change at that point

I don't do any real research until I see it in a humans hand....

Even if it is a demo. 98% of the phone doesn't change at that point

Reactions: mikedt
    Upvote 0
    Well the S9 looks extremely iterative, very much a "resting on their laurels" release. What is it bringing?

* Fix the fingerprint location:
    Ok, needed doing, but it was idiotic that they didn't do this last ear.

* Introduce a "variable aperture" camera:
    Much less interesting than it sounds because of the very short focal length of little phone cameras: even f1.5 won't give you any subject isolation. So the only reason for having the f2.4 option has to be that lens performance is noticably worse at f1.5, otherwise you may as well just us a fixed f1.5.

,* And follow Apple in putting higher specs in the bigger phone to try to up-sell people to the more expensive model.

Overall that's lazy and marketing-driven, and not a strategy that deserves success. I'm sure that a huge marketing spend and incentives to stores to push them will leave them dominating sales again anyway, but this is looking like a dull, minor refresh.

So yeah, I hope they do something more interesting for the Note.

Upvote 0
    The Galaxy S9 was intended to be an incremental update to the S8. Samsung actually held a lot back from the Note 8, playing it safe in order to allow the Note brand to recover from the previous year's disaster. Now that the Note 8 is a proven success, they're going all out on development of the Note 9. The Galaxy S10 (or whatever they're going to call it) will get a lot of that development next spring.

Galaxy S10?
    Galaxy SX?
    Maybe an extendable version based on the X phone, called the Galaxy SeX? I might buy that one...

:p:D

Reactions: Rico ANDROID
    Upvote 0
    The Galaxy S9 was intended to be an incremental update to the S8. Samsung actually held a lot back from the Note 8, playing it safe in order to allow the Note brand to recover from the previous year's disaster. Now that the Note 8 is a proven success, they're going all out on development of the Note 9. The Galaxy S10 (or whatever they're going to call it) will get a lot of that development next spring.

Spoiler:

Galaxy S10?
    Galaxy SX?
    Maybe an extendable version based on the X phone, called the Galaxy SeX? I might buy that one...

stickouttongue.png
    biggrin.png

I don't see I phone company putting SeX in their phone title. Lol.

Official phone of pof lol

Upvote 0
    I'll be keeping my sweet Note8 for a couple of years so it doesn't really matter what bells and whistles they put in the next Note or leave out for that matter. This baby was pricey enough that she deserves to get some good use. It won't stop me from poring over all of the specs and visiting all of the forums though. I gotta know what I am missing!

Upvote 0
    I'll let you know how the Note 9 is, Koki! Well... that's if I can afford it this year.

My Yamaha keyboard developed a buzzing sound in the left channel, so I had to replace it $$$$
    Our furry little money pit needs surgery on BOTH hind knees, one at a time $$$$
    And we're getting 2nd & 3rd opinions and bids on some structural issues with the house $$$$$

:(

Upvote 0
    I'm torn between jumping on the Note 9 (if I can afford it) and holding out until the December release of the Galaxy X. The more I read about that, the more excited I get! However, Samsung may only release it to the Korean market... that would sort of make that decision for me...

Upvote 0
    I'm seeing reports that the Note 9 will have in-screen fingerprint scanner. AND I'm seeing reports that it won't. I am not seeing a lot of reports that contradict the rumor of a 6.3" 4K UHD display... so I hope that's true! But I'm becoming convinced that maybe Samsung is paying some sites to report misinformation, just to throw us all off the scent...

Upvote 0
    I'm not sure what it is about the Infinity screen that you don't like, other than it takes a little learning to hold it correctly... but I don't see it going away anytime soon. The S9 will be an incremental upgrade from the S8; and the Note 9 is rumored to be 100% screen on the front with NO BEZELS.

I'm probably going to skip the Note 9 (GASP) and wait for the Note 10. The Note 9 will have the Snapdragon 845, which is a 10nm SoC... while Qualcomm's contractors have let slip the fact that next year's Snapdragon 855 will be a 7nm SoC with the X24 modem in it. Fully 5G LTE capable, with download speeds up to 2GBPS. As Verizon begins rolling out its 5G network, that will be a premium feature to have!

:D

Upvote 0
    I think the screen will know if it's being held or not
    We'll see. Otherwise they'll be howling 'screengate', and Samsung replies, 'You're holding it wrong'.
    As for myself, I'm not bothering, it's too expensive, no carrier subsidy available, e.g. Verizon, and I don't like paying for the name.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones