• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The iPhone 5 doesn't stand a chance!

Samsung Galaxy S II review -- Engadget

Engadget review of the Galaxy S 2. Flawless victory! They even say it's probably the best smartphone, period.

Well, Samsung lovers can finally see the text sharpness that the rest of us with 480x800 LCD displays have enjoyed for some time.

The button layout on the SGS2 is an epic fail, tho, so it's hardly a flawless victory.

Upvote 0
I tend to agree with 'skunkonkrunk' here. Most people probably don't know or even care what CPU, GPU, RAM, the number of gyro and accelerometers or whatever is in the thing, or if it's got 4G or not(which is USA only anyway). As long as it's shiny, bears the Apple logo and is perceived as cool, it will sell.

You know, I don't think that's entirely true. I think you have an extremely valid point, but I also think the average person is going to believe what they're told through marketing and word-of-mouth, albeit a watered down version. For instance, they may hear that the latest Android phone is "faster" than the iPhone. Without knowing why, they'll just know that iPhone's falling behind, and they want the "faster" one.

--This really is a marketing thing, in my mind. What do you want to bet that the average person would say the Thunderbolt is "faster" than the iphone 4, because of the TV commcercials? But I bet that same person would say "Well the iphone 5 will probably be even faster." But if Apple drops the ball on marketing for iphone 5.... the tide can change.

What most people forget, is that average Joe walking off the street into the shop doesn't give a shit about anything apart from the brand. iPhone sells (not because its a great product) but because people buy the Apple brand.

Sadly nothing will ever change that.

I actually think with today's generation, the "average" consumer is skewed a little bit more towards knowing what a CPU is. Or at least being able to understand that a faster CPU means faster phone. In fact, I'm willing to bet the line between more people who understand what those specs means, and more people who don't, is split right at the 30-year-old line. So more and more, people are going to be focusing on technical aspects. (That's just what I've experienced in talking with my friends. I consider myself above-average on the technical level, but I'm surprised at how many of my friends throw technical specs at me when talking about phones).

But then, I thought Scott Pilgrim would make a ton of money at the box office, and man did I underestimate the "average" consumer in my demographic.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure the iPhone 5 will sell lots when it comes out, thanks to the fanboy base. The quality of Apple products remains impeccable, and it will be one o the best phones that will release this year.

But that's not what Apple is all about.

Its all about being Magical. When you are so far ahead of others like Nokia T9 phones, your phones seems so technologically magical compared to the stone age bunch.

That's what destroys Apple. Because of Android, Apple is no longer Magical. Its no longer "innovative". It becomes a follower rather a leader. No matter how many fanboys line up, no matter how much they sell --- this mission of relevance and value --- to be magically unique and ahead of everyone --- isn't there anymore. Its another slabface dual core phone. Doesn't matter how smooth the IOS interface is, or how fragmented Android is, the key issue hits right to the bone.

Apple is no longer Magical.

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones