• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Official "I got my Note 7!" First Impressions Thread

I tried the wireless fast charger and the fast charge block plugged into the wall. The one thing I hadn't done in awhile was reboot it... we'll see if that clears it up. I sure hope so!

I had a friend who got theirs from Verizon yesterday and she texted me saying that it isn't fast charging either. Not sure if she's contacted Verizon but if you sort it out, let me know how it works out.

Upvote 0
Did anyone get their phone from ATT and if so, did it come in the ridiculous ATT box? I know it's just a box but I like the original boxes since first of all, they stack nicer with the others I have and the ATT box makes it look not it's not a $900 phone. Anyway, my question is that it DOES include all the accessories, right? Like the microUSB adapter and the USB adapter, headphones.. My ATT GS7edge came in the original box as well as my last few GS phones - not sure why they went back to this.

Upvote 0
Teegun,
Is your old phone rooted?
Curious about Dropbox saving your apps and DATA

Yes, my N4 is a Dev Edition which is rooted. That may help pulling the data over to dropbox. There are a number of apps that are not allowed to be backed up - mostly some paid apps that I assume just don't want their APK's being able to be pulled and backed up. Not that I couldn't do that anyway with a rooted phone, it's migrating the DATA of the app to a non-rooted phone which is all I really need to do. A few of the apps on my N4 would not properly migrate the entire app and data, it would only back up the data and make me install the app from the play store. When I went to restore the app from Helium using the dropbox storage option, Helium would prompt me to go to the play store, DL and install the app APK from there and somehow Helium would attach the migrated DATA to the app once it was installed. There have been some hiccups, but overall I am getting most everything moved over to my N7 so far.

I was most pleased to get my Media Monkey pro music app, and playlists all migrated. I did move my 128 gb sd card from my N4 to my N7 and Helium properly moved Media Monkey to the N7 and it is working exactly the same as it was on my N4. Big sigh of relief on that one as setting up about 40 playlists again from my music library of about 50,000 songs would have been straight hell.

Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0
I can appreciate the Play List problem.

I just recently acquired an SSD with 500 gB of music from the '40s thru 2014.
Talk about nostalgia..... songs that I had long ago forgotten, or were erased when the 18 wheeler T-boned me in 2008....

it was down Memory Lane for me and I have only touched one track so far.....
Peter Paul and Mary, I loved their songs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope, none that I can see. I had to log into every single app and set them all up again. Of course, I couldn't pair my smartwatch with the Note 7 without un-pairing it from the old phone... which factory resets the watch! UGHHH

Odd..smart switch transferred everything i wanted over via wifi direct. Pretty fast too.

Btw..i thought i could use that usb connector to put a flash drive in it and then plug it in the phone so it would show as an external hd but no dice...flash drive lights up but doesnt show up on the phone.

The Iris scanner is very quick..works well even with contacts in.

My fast charger in my car and in my. house work perfectly.

Eventually i will buy some back up USB C cords from Amazon or Ebay....Ebay is probably cheaper.

Upvote 0
Came from a Note 4 and in all honesty, I could've moved to just about any device and been happier. The Note 4 was being weighed down by all the data that it has accumulated over the past 2 years and its sluggishness was starting to irritate me.

Got my Titanium in the mail yesterday and have been enjoying a much quicker experience. I am disappointed that after fully charging my device out of the box (how many of you showed no restraint and played with it as soon as possible? :p ), after 2 hours it dropped from 100% to 68%. I will say that in those 2 hours the phone had transferred all my apps from my old phone, run a system update, and then updated all the apps. I guess I can live with that when I consider the phone has a fast charger.

The accessories I've bought with the phone thus far are a clear case from Amazon that ran me about $4.00, an otterbox, car charger (with the USB-C connection), and a screen protector (they came in a bundle from Verizon). I have a quick charging pad on the way from amazon as well.

A few items I've noticed are not compatible with the Note 7, I have a FLIR Infra-Red camera that does not work, I also have an inspection scope that does not work with the Note 7. I'm hoping for an update from Samsung or from the device makers to make them compatible with the Note 7. My LG Urbane smartwatch does work with the Note 7 as do all my bluetooth devices.

Upvote 0
I received mine yesterday. Charged it to 100% as per instructions. Smart switch didn't move everything over for me, but that may have been because i initiated a retrieval of Verizon Cloud contacts and Data about halfway through. I didnt realize that it would cut off Smart Switch.

The software update also killed my battery, but even more worrisome, the phone was almost too hot to touch during and immediately after the update. I haven't had any temperatyre spikes before or after, though.

The fast charger cable that came with the phone works very well. Charged from 44% to 100% in about 30 mins, maybe a little more.

Looking forward to learning a lot more about how the N7 works. Loving the graphics, speed, memory, edge screen, video calling, and other features i haven't had before.

I'm a little disappointed to see that the wireless charging isnt working well. Maybe it's just a bad batch of N7s that does it?

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Geez sorry to hear all the trouble everyone is having. My only problem is I missed FedEx. Luckily they were open until 9pm and I went and got my phone last night. Read the instructions: turn off old phone (done), turn on new phone (done), about a minute and a half later my brand new Note 7 was up and running (retiring my Note 3)(also carry a Note 5).

Next, yes the smart switch works BUT if you just enter your Google email account the phone downloads all of your Apps, contacts and phone calls. I use Next SMS app and pay for 1 gig of cloud. Backed up my texts thru WIFI and restored them on the Note 7 (25,000 messages!). Wireless fast charged last night and started tweaking it today. Honestly can't assess the performance yet because every App needs to be logged into etc. Not even close to done. Burned thru the battery restoring SMS messages. Speaking of fast charging I just went from 3% to 40% in 10 minutes (cable connected).

With all that out of the way the phone definitely feels like an Upgrade!! It's definitely slimmer and though I didn't think I would really like the edge screen, its handy. I did the software update which is Android 6.01 and I like the look of the new interfaces with the Apps. So far I'm glad I rented it for $36. per month, Thanks Verizon. I will say though lets all be realistic if you have been using a Note 3 thru 5 up until now it has been equal or better than anything out there. So the Note 7 is not like going from a Blackberry Storm (2008, The iPhone's only rival at the time)(8 short years ago!!) to the HTC incredible! But it definitely feels like a step forward and I OK with it.

We're lucky and spoiled with these phones and they refer to these as "champagne problems". I'll report back in a couple of days.

Good luck you guys/girls!

Upvote 0
I know why?

Probably a cost cutting, although I liked the idea of having something that the Apple fanbois couldn't counter with. I used it on rare occasion when I'd leave my remote in a different part of the house. The Smart Remote app was ok if a little obtrusive. I think I probably would've used it more frequently if it was just a simple TV remote and not some app that would shove an advertisement for a TV show in your face while you were trying to change channels.

Upvote 0
I also used Helium to move my app data over to my Note7. While MM6.0 promised to back up app data, it backed up precious little. My Moto XPE was not rooted but I easily connected it to my desktop and saved the data there then connected my Note7 to my desktop with Helium and imported the data. I let the play store do its thing in regards to restoring the apps to my phone as I had to leave it for a while anyway. Just ticked off the ones I wanted installed and left for an hour.
The wireless charger worked like a champ for me but I only tried it out after I was through with setting everything up.
Now I have played with the edge and themes and my new phone looks nothing like my former one. Loving having an Spen again.
One side note (no pun intended) that edge is hard to grasp to pull over. Any advice? Suggestions?

Upvote 0
No one has mentioned the lack of wifi calling which is huge for me being in a area with very little cellular signal. I love the phone so far but I'm amazed a new flagship device is lacking wifi calling
I have it. It's from your provider. They need to support it. Change your provider.

bbe6df3d94eb56efc19210ad2d627886.jpg

Upvote 0
Here's my Saturday night review of the phone.
It's still amazing.
Only took me 48hrs too drop it accidently.. Luckily it was in a carpeted room in my house and glad I had a case on it. No damage.
^almost had a heart attack because of it. Damn phone gives heart attacks out now it's surreal lol.
Usually when I get a new phone I turn off all the gimmicky stuff but I've found myself not turning anything off this time and I love all its features. My favorite feature is the always on display . Love the tabs thing.
To me this phone has amazing battery life. I use it for social networking and YouTube video watching. Nothing crazy but I got 4hrs screen on time with it at almost 24hrs time. Put it to charge at about 19%
Lovs the fast charge. Charges crazy fast for me.
Just used the camera on it for picture taking today and wow it amazes me how good of quality it is. Super nice and quick to take a picture and saves instantly no lag.
OH and letting the phone control the brightness is super good too. I was one to always control my own screen brightness but man i like how the note 7 responds to all lighting.
I also have the phone in a full body Supcase in case anyone wants to see a picture of it just lmk and I'll get one.

That's all for the moment. Sorry if that was a little long.

Reactions: rah45
Upvote 0
No one has mentioned the lack of wifi calling which is huge for me being in a area with very little cellular signal. I love the phone so far but I'm amazed a new flagship device is lacking wifi calling

Which carrier do you have? AT&T just added wifi calling to the GS7 just a few weeks ago. I think it's not so much Samsung, but the carrier has to enable it maybe?

Edit: Ooops, I see this was adequately addressed above. Replied a little too quick.. :(

Reactions: MikezDroid
Upvote 0
I'm still very concerned about my Note 7 not fast charging. Tomorrow (well, later today), I'm going to put it to one last test.

According to Samsung, I should be able to charge from 0-100% in about an hour. I've not experienced anything close to that.

So if my phone fails to fast charge and Sam's Club can't or won't replace it, I'll turn this one back in and go to Verizon and start all over again - which is a pain, because I'll probably have to give them back my $150 gift card :(

Upvote 0
Here's my Saturday night review of the phone.
It's still amazing.
Only took me 48hrs too drop it accidently.. Luckily it was in a carpeted room in my house and glad I had a case on it. No damage.
^almost had a heart attack because of it. Damn phone gives heart attacks out now it's surreal lol.
Usually when I get a new phone I turn off all the gimmicky stuff but I've found myself not turning anything off this time and I love all its features. My favorite feature is the always on display . Love the tabs thing.
To me this phone has amazing battery life. I use it for social networking and YouTube video watching. Nothing crazy but I got 4hrs screen on time with it at almost 24hrs time. Put it to charge at about 19%
Lovs the fast charge. Charges crazy fast for me.
Just used the camera on it for picture taking today and wow it amazes me how good of quality it is. Super nice and quick to take a picture and saves instantly no lag.
OH and letting the phone control the brightness is super good too. I was one to always control my own screen brightness but man i like how the note 7 responds to all lighting.
I also have the phone in a full body Supcase in case anyone wants to see a picture of it just lmk and I'll get one.

That's all for the moment. Sorry if that was a little long.

Motorola actually thinks that Samsung stole it's "Always on" display. http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/moto-tweets-galaxy-steals-always-on-idea-news/

One feature I'm looking forward to using is the .gif creation.

Upvote 0
I'm still very concerned about my Note 7 not fast charging. Tomorrow (well, later today), I'm going to put it to one last test.

According to Samsung, I should be able to charge from 0-100% in about an hour. I've not experienced anything close to that.

So if my phone fails to fast charge and Sam's Club can't or won't replace it, I'll turn this one back in and go to Verizon and start all over again - which is a pain, because I'll probably have to give them back my $150 gift card :(

Watching from afar, your situation bums me out. I hope this resolves itself in the next day for you. I hate giving a new phone back, it sucks and I've been there.

If I was you I would load my data, calling, applications, and back up back to my old phone and factory reset the new Note 7. Then run it for a day fully un-configured to see how it is performing stock. Or at least run it in Safe Mode and Airplane Mode
If it won't charge correctly in a bone stock environment with all the radios turned off then you have identified a significant issue. If you can't/won't do this, to narrow the variables down, then it could be any number of problems.

Also, ensure that you are only using the exact wired charger and cable that came in the box with the phone. If you use any other charger than you might be identifying an issue with the accessory and blaming it on the phone.

Did you see KupKrazy's post above? Could there be an underlying issue with the Verizon handset or software? Or a bad batch of Samsung chargers included with the Verizon phones?

?Semi Relevant Readings:?
http://www.sammobile.com/2016/03/17...ble-fast-charging-on-android-6-0-marshmallow/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/help/fast-charging-stopped-t3090004
https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxynote5/comments/3jq6wd/phone_doesnt_fast_charge/
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...charge-if-it-detects-moisture-in-usb-port.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones