• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The X10 tips thread.

i just want to know that if i add some application or game on my sd card from the pc and want to install it in the phone, how exactly can i do that? Also let me know how can i explore my sd card data on the phone?

first you'll need to allow your phone to install apps from unknown sources

menu > settings > applications > unknown sources (make sure it is ticked)

then you'll need a file manager from the market - plenty out there - i use OI File Manager

open the file manager and then browse through the SD card to find the folder you saved the apps in, open it and select the app you want to install

the installation process should start automatically

Upvote 0
This is more of a "what not to do" -- I just thought it might be useful to someone else out there who might be as dumb as I was today. I'd imagine it is a pretty uncommon situation.

My front silver buttons started freezing today. I thought it was app-related and I even did a factory reset to no avail. What I didn't realize is what ELSE I changed about the phone at the same time I installed several apps...

I had added a bumper-case to the unit, one of those rubber silicone ones.

This case is great except for some reason instead of leaving HOLES for the power / volume / camera buttons? They just made indentations out in the rubber and kept them covered. To keep dust out I guess? This is nice in theory, but trust me, it is a poor design because rubber obviously stretches and moves. That's kinda the idea. But the rubber indentations are precise, and if the rubber moves even SLIGHTLY one way or another, your buttons are going to get pressed.

So what was happening is that the rubber of the case was contacting the volume keys and holding them down. This apparently caused the phone to lock out all the other keys, except the power button thank goodness. The screen was also fully functional.

I was frustrated and I held it up to my husband and said "Look, I can't even turn up the volume" (*demonstrate*), it's almost like... (*pulls the rubber away from the volume key*) ... (*press volume up and volume goes up*) ... Oh... crap."

Ironically I had did a search on the 'net for "frozen keys" for the X10 and found several people out there reporting such a problem. Now maybe their problem was legit hardware failure, but maybe.. just maybe.. one of those people might have experienced something like this and would get use out of this info.

Anyway, just wanted to put it somewhere.

Upvote 0
I found out in another forum long press on the menu button will start a search, just like the search button on other devices. It will only show the keyboard but when you will start typing, a search field will appear and results will start to appear as well. I think that can be useful to add in tips and tricks :)

Upvote 0
For applications, I'd suggest :
- Apps Organizer, permitting you to add labels to your programs and sort them better than just scrolling down all your apps menu.
- AppBrain App Market combined with Fast Web Installer : register on the web site (AppBrain Android Market - find the best Android Apps and Games) and you can then browser Android Market from your computer and install them remotely on your phone through data connection 3G or Wi-Fi. Works really well and it recommends you apps according to the apps you already have installed.

Upvote 0
I found out in another forum long press on the menu button will start a search, just like the search button on other devices. It will only show the keyboard but when you will start typing, a search field will appear and results will start to appear as well. I think that can be useful to add in tips and tricks :)

I was thinking that it is bug from xperia x10 , keyboard flashing on menu screen hold.... but it was really helpful.. keep posting.

Upvote 0
Cant post on main wall ...

Had my ph for some now now and has work great but now .... ph works, just cant do ...
#: get Error -if i make directory could not be created - any time I try make a new folder in the ph system/media or any where - so I can move files from the SD to the ph, But, I cant also move or copy files from the SD the the ph system ? has worked before. Tryed 3 or 4 app file managers just not working. Any tips on this one ? Thx

Upvote 0
Is it possible to install new fonts in xperia x10
Eg: telugu or tamil languages.. Will it support.. And also
I tried a link whichi given in fourm.. But it doesnt wrk..
Pls help me

Apparently you can just install a different language pack or set of fonts. You may have to download another keyboard app as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1146003&highlight=tamil

Get indi language pack copy fonts folder using root explorer.
Now, My x10 showing Tamil.
2.1 working well. 2.2 has shapeless letters. I don't know why? And
Latest 2.1 firmware has Bengali, devangiri and more Indian language.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones