• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZAZusmc03

May 6, 2010
I tried searching the forums for this answer, but was unable to find what i was looking for.

That being said, I was wondering if you installed themes the same way you flash a new rom. I flashed bb 05 to my droid, and found the smoked glass w/ blue theme and wanted to use that. Is that just a fancy verision of BB? So really i would just be flashing that on instead of the original? Thanks for the help in advance.

Please provide a link to the theme.

Some themes are full ROM's that the theme is already applied to. In that case, you would only need to flash the themed version of the ROM.

Most themes are meant to be applied to the ROM separately. I believe the Smoked Glass w/ Blue theme is supposed to be applied OVER (after flashing) the ROM. I used that same theme for BB 0.4, but the themer may have changed the theme to be a full ROM with the theme already applied. If you provide a link to the theme you have found, I could tell you within a few seconds if it is a stand alone themed version of BB 0.5 or if you need to flash BB 0.5 first.

Kratos

Reactions: ZAZusmc03
Upvote 0
SmokedGlass_BBV0.5.zip

If this is not a full ROM, could you tell me how to apply it over bb v0.5 or maybe point me in the right direction to find that information. Thanks a lot kratos.

ps. Before this thread, I had flashed the theme on, after restarting the phone, It brings me back to the factory startup screen. Only problem is that I keep getting the
! Sorry! The application dialer (process.android.phone) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Everytime I force close that, it continually pops up...

Upvote 0
Judging by the size of that file, I'd say it was just the Smoked Glass theme. To apply it over a ROM such as Bugless Beast v0.5, you should:
1. Perform a Nandroid backup of your current setup.
2. Open ROM Manager and select "Install ROM from SD Card." Find the file.
3. Unless you want a second backup of your system, don't worry about having "Backup" checked. And you don't need to wipe either.

Your phone should then install the theme and reboot itself.

Upvote 0
How to Flash a theme with SPRecovery

1.) Download the theme
2.) Place the file in the root of your sdcard.(Not in any folder just on the sd card.)
3.) Rename the theme to update.zip. Be sure that you are only naming it update.zip. Windows often does not show file extensions and you will end up with files named update.zip.zip. Renaming files with Astro File Manager once they are on your sd card is a good solution to this.
4.) Power off your droid
5.) Boot into recovery by holding X while powering on the phone
6.) Perform a nandroid backup (always sound practice although this is not required. Its actually not necessary at all if you have a kernel that you know works well somewhere on your sdcard.)
7.) Click on install (Note you can use the volume rocker to navigate and the camera button to select.)
8.) Press allow update.zip Installation
9.) Press Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)
10.) When the install is complete use the power button to go back to the main menu
11.) Reboot

All credits for this tutorial go to OMJ with the exception that I changed the work "kernel" to "theme" in a couple spots. I figured that it would be easier and quicker to just copy his instead of writing it myself.

I also suggest leaving your nandroid backup on your SD card for a while just in case something doesn't work right with this theme. Just good practice to always keep a backup on hand.

If you have any other questions or need other help let us know. Enjoy this theme. I know I loved it and it is the only thing I miss from BB now that I'm running UD.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Do you have any advice on what to do about this:
ps. Before this thread, I had flashed the theme on, after restarting the phone, It brings me back to the factory startup screen. Only problem is that I keep getting the
! Sorry! The application dialer (process.android.phone) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Everytime I force close that, it continually pops up.

When I put the theme onto my sd card i renamed it as update and everything went fine. When i put the theme on the sd card i removed the old update.zip that was the bb v0.5 and put it on my computer. I didnt make a backup before flashing the theme, and now idk what to do with this force closing thing and not being able to set up my phone.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately without a nandroid backup, you will have to flash BB 0.5 again. I suggest grabbing a fresh copy of BB 0.5 and flashing without a wipe. As long as you don't wipe cache and data you will not have to set up your phone again.

I also suggest making a nandroid backup before applying the theme because if it is the theme that is causing the issue, you can always easily revert to the backup without having to flash the ROM again.

One thing you may try is going into ROM Manager and running fix permissions. However, it sounds like you are not able to navigate to anything because of the constant FC problem. If you can, try fix permissions. If not, reflash the ROM without a wipe.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Unfortunately without a nandroid backup, you will have to flash BB 0.5 again. I suggest grabbing a fresh copy of BB 0.5 and flashing without a wipe. As long as you don't wipe cache and data you will not have to set up your phone again.

I also suggest making a nandroid backup before applying the theme because if it is the theme that is causing the issue, you can always easily revert to the backup without having to flash the ROM again.

One thing you may try is going into ROM Manager and running fix permissions. However, it sounds like you are not able to navigate to anything because of the constant FC problem. If you can, try fix permissions. If not, reflash the ROM without a wipe.

Kratos

Thanks. When I am ready to flash the theme, what do I do with the ROM's "update.zip" file? Just rename it and leave it? then rename theme file to update.zip and run that?

Upvote 0
Once you are done with an update.zip file, just delete it. That way you don't get confused on which update.zip is the theme and which one is the ROM. I have always been a firm believe in downloading a fresh copy each time you need to flash it just to be safe anyways. So, that means there is no need to keep the original downloaded .zip since you would be getting a new one each time.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I think you should try again. Just make a nandroid backup that way if it goes wrong, all you have to do is restore the backup and you don't even have to worry about setting everything up again.

Here is a link to the post I found on a different forum. Try downloading it from there and see if that one works. You may have just gotten a corrupt download last time.

[THEME PACK] Get your theme on! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Again, make a nandroid and you won't even have to worry about it.

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones