• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

There is no continuity with T-Mobile's customer service

shawn1224

Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation
Dec 10, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm really peeved with T-Mobile's customer service. I initially had the Samsung Behold when I signed up for new service with T-Mobile and was paying 5.99/6.99 for the insurance plan. In December I recently won the Samsung Behold II in an online giveaway sponsored through Samsung Mobile, so I informed TMO that I would change over to the Behold II on my current plan. I told the rep how I acquired the phone and asked if my insurance plan would carry over to the new Behold II. He assured me that it would being a TMO phone so I left it at that thinking that at least I'm covered in case anything should happen.

Fast forward to Jan 15th, the Behold II won't boot up to the load screen so I contact customer service who transfers me to a tech rep to help with my situation. Suffice it to say that none of the steps worked and I couldn't even get my phone to turn on. I then asked if I could get a replacement through my insurance plan and I'm told that they have no log or record of me receiving the Behold II. I had to go through the whole spiel of how I won the phone in an online giveaway and that a rep previously told me that my insurance plan would cover it. But alas, this is not correct and the rep tells me that because it didn't come from an authorized TMO retailer it's not covered.

So now I'm frustrated not because of said policy but because this was not what they told me when I first called TMO. Had I known, I would've gladly canceled the insurance I was paying for but instead I was still being charged for something that was practically useless because I received my phone through a 3rd party. Moving along, I then asked the customer service rep what can I do to get me back up & running. They told me that they could transfer me over to Samsung mobile where I was still covered under factory warranty. To make a long story short, I ended up sending the phone back to Samsung to be repaired and meanwhile I went to a TMO retail store to get a loaner phone until my phone was sent back to me.

One day later ....

Okay so now after putting down a $50 deposit I have a crappy loaner phone that can barely send text messages. My job requires active communication as I'm on the go, so I'm at a lost with no exchange email in place or even a 3G connection. I call customer service again to see what I can do about getting either a better loaner phone or at least having the data charges dropped during the period that I didn't have my Behold II. The rep was gracious enough to remove the insurance and even convinced me to change to the even more plus plan with 1,000 minutes, which would be cheaper than the 600 min + smartphone data plan I was currently on.

At this point I decided to just get a new phone seeing as how I needed smartphone capability as soon as possible. The rep got me hooked up with the MyTouch 3G and had the cost spread out over the course of my contract with a larger portion of the price reflected on my next billing cycle. I told him I just need a good phone and wanted to make sure that it would arrive as soon as possible, so he added the extra cost for express shipping which would get it to me no later than today (Jan 20). After all was said & done I specifically asked to verify that everything was correct so there wouldn't be any delays. I even reiterated my past experience of hearing one thing by one customer service rep and then being told something completely different when I call back.

So, UPS guy shows up today .... no phone (mind you I have the phone being shipped to my job) I call customer support to get the tracking information and lo & behold the rep now tells me that my order is pending due to an electronic signature sent to my email. WHAT?? First off, the rep never told me about any electronic signature and secondly I never received anything via email even after I had confirmed my email address before I had placed the order. I was so frustrated since I specifically asked to make sure everything was correct before I got off the phone. Once again, had they informed me, I would have gladly done this the day I placed the order.

At this point I was so dissatisfied with T-Mobile that I told them to just forget about it and immediately canceled the order. For the life of me I can't understand how a company can staff such incompetence when it comes to customer support. From what I've experienced with TMO reps, they either bold face lie to your face or just don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Is a little continuity too much to ask for?

I'll agree... most of the time it seems that it's rarely the "company", but the individual handling the issue that creates the chaos -- however, in your case, it's apparent that the lack of a "system" that allows continuence to occur is not in place, or at best, ineffective.

I wish I could offer some advice, other than to offer to just be livid along with you...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses guys, I just wanted to share my experience with others who might have experienced something similar. At the time I was frustrated but after calming down I just replaced the order and tried to make sure to best of my ability that it gets processed accurately. I agree that it's not really a company wide problem, as I have spoken to great reps in the past. I guess it's just the times when you get connected to someone who doesn't have a clue.

The good thing about the mix up is now I can get the Fender edition instead so I'm crossing my fingers that everything goes through as it is supposed to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones