• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

There must be a simple answer

rpoling

Lurker
Apr 13, 2012
This is my first smart phone. I love almost everything about it. But some of the simplest things are frustrating me, and the documentation provided isn't much help.

I have a number of contacts that only have phone #s. Now I'd like to go back and edit some of those to add email addresses. But no matter what I do, I can't make it work. In Contacts, when I select a contact, I can text or call. I can click on the Edit icon, and that will let me edit the name and phone #, but that's all. How do I add an email address? I know this is a silly question, but I cannot figure it out.

I watched an online video that showed how to do it- supposedly - but when I did the same thing they showed in the video, I didn't get the same options? Do I have a setting that needs to be changed perhaps?

When you do the edit screen there is more then just whats on the screen...touch the screen and drag your finger to scroll down (actually your finger will go up..lol...I know up to go down sounds strange). When you see the email option, touch the plus sign, then touch the box to bring up the keyboard and enter your info. I agree the documentation is pitiful...lol...also if you have a message with the email addy, you can long press on it and several options will appear as to what to do with it, add to contact will be one of them, as well as new contact, send message, delete..etc...

Just an after thought, also check your display settings (menu button>display option). If your contacts are on sim card. Copy them to the phone and you will have many more options, as well as displaying by groups under Google. Again you'll need to scroll down in display options to display these. I think SIM only displays phone numbers.

Upvote 0
Thanks -but it doesn't work. What I have figured out, though, from your reply and the one below is that anything in my Google contacts or that I added to the new phone manually can be changed. It's just the old contacts from my previous phone that only give me a name and phone #. Nothing else. I"m guessing perhaps they weren't imported correctly. I"m still not sure. Looks like I'll have to re-enter them all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones