• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

There's a few nice-looking budget phones coming out this year

The Salsa looks really good but I loathe Facebook and since it's so deeply integrated into the phone, I don't think I would be able to remove it. Plus the big Facebook button makes it look a bit cheap. If HTC released a non-Facebook version I would probably want it.
I agree!
It's like a carrier branded phone from the beginning. I hate it.

HTC Wildfire S looks quite good on the other hand, with the improved screen resolution. Hopefully the price is also right.

Upvote 0
The Salsa looks really good but I loathe Facebook and since it's so deeply integrated into the phone, I don't think I would be able to remove it. Plus the big Facebook button makes it look a bit cheap. If HTC released a non-Facebook version I would probably want it.

It looks to me the so called "Facebook Integration" is nothing more than a button shortcut to launch Friend Stream. I don't even think it would launch the official Facebook for Android app, which I believe many would prefer over the UI Facebook integration. I don't see any more "specials" in these phones vs. you standard HTC Sense phone. I believe it can be used without Facebook/Friendstream. Simply by not entering your Facebook login to Friend Stream and keeping it deactivated. You can delete Friend Stream widget off your home screen. You get a standard HTC Sense phone. You just have to live with that button being there and unused, and I don't think that's hard.

Upvote 0
It looks to me the so called "Facebook Integration" is nothing more than a button shortcut to launch Friend Stream. I don't even think it would launch the official Facebook for Android app, which I believe many would prefer over the UI Facebook integration. I don't see any more "specials" in these phones vs. you standard HTC Sense phone. I believe it can be used without Facebook/Friendstream. Simply by not entering your Facebook login to Friend Stream and keeping it deactivated. You can delete Friend Stream widget off your home screen. You get a standard HTC Sense phone. You just have to live with that button being there and unused, and I don't think that's hard.

I'm creeped out by anything to do with Facebook. I guess I could stick something over the Facebook button but that would look a bit untidy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones