• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

These "old" Android phones ain't so bad!!!

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
I used to be an Android phone nut, buying new phones as soon as they came out to replace "aging" phones. But these days I am completely content with my perfect "old" phones, because the custom ROMs rock and I have all the features I want / need.

I used my Samsung Moment for 9 months, and then couldn't wait any more so I spent $300+ to get the Evo 4G. Then a few weeks later I spent another $400 to get the Epic 4G. Then I tried the LG Optimus S, and then got the Captivate, and lastly got the Evo 3D.

Now a days I'm rocking my Evo 4G running CM7, and recently updated the Epic 4G for my wife with a cleanGB ROM.

I've been eyeing the new phones such as the Galaxy S2, Epic Touch, for a while, but I have to say I am really really content with the Evo 4G and the Epic 4G running GB. I have my Evo 3D sitting in the drawer as back up in case the other phones die, but I can honestly say that the "older" Android phones don't feel outdated, and I can really wait until next summer to get new Android phones.

I am amazed I can hold off my new Android craze and be completely happy with these phones. These "old" phones ain't so bad!!! :D

Reactions: Granite1 and Reider
Once you start flashing ROMs and unlocking the full potential from a device, it makes the life span a lot longer. When I had my G1 after about 10 months I was getting sick of it, root/ROM gave it new life. Saved Me a lot of money. I would be sick of my phone now if it weren't rooted, i will have ICS before to long, an update HTC isn't planning for my phone.

Upvote 0
Back in March 2011, my OG Droid was 16 months old, but was running a Simply Stunning ROM. After a little too much pressure with me rolling over on it in my belt clip, the screen started acting flaky. I passed on an early upgrade to the Thunderbolt (thankfully) and opted for a warranty replacement instead. When the Droid3 came out, I saw nothing compelling; I believed I would be losing features by "upgrading". Then came the Bionic and I caved in, knowing that the additional RAM would be a big improvement for 2 or 3 of the apps I was using. My son is now using the OG Droid with CM 7.1.

Custom ROMs are truly a thorn in the side of planned obsolescence, but there's only so much they can do to compensate for aging hardware specs.

Upvote 0
I placed a thankyou to the first poster for a few reasons. Firstly it seemed a heartfelt post. Secondly it made me feel more at ease going for my foot in the door phone, this is the thing about a lot of posts. Even in saying a little they mean a lot to folk.

I have about 4 mobiles here, some I just don`t want to part with, others like my Pocket PC/Sat Nav and mobile I`d die for to protect. Its been an absolute godsend and when I was more mobile (semi invalid now) I used the walk mode and cycle mode it has in the Sat Nav. But I got a cheap

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
I sometimes miss my DInc with the white back. It was fast and dependable. I've gone through more phones since then than I care to admit too. Let's just say I'm happy with my Nexus and will use it till at least next years model is released...if it goes to Verizon again. Given this release that may not happen.

Upvote 0
I know what you mean. I have the OG EVO and its been a little over a year now. I try to update my phones when my upgrade is due, but this is the first phone I feel I can still rock for awhile. I'm also waiting on sprint to bring something new, wasn't feeling the new EVO 3D but thats because I had the original and did not see the need to upgrade.

Upvote 0
I couldn't have said it better! I love my OG Evo. The dev community is awesome, and it really is a beast of a phone. I waited a week before I rooted it, and totally facepalmed myself for waiting even that long!!

I even still have the old school Hero kickin it! Also word on the street is it'll get ICS soon!! Thats awesome!!

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
well I was very content with my original Evo. I really didn't want to "waste" an upgrade so I kept my evo for over a year. It was (and still is) running perfectly fine. But I found $200 range Evo 3Ds on eBay so I jumped the gun and figured I'd get one. Glad I did, the Evo 3D is running great and I've been yearning for some dual core love anyway. Loving the screen and the speed, the camera is actually better and just the overall feel of the phone is nice. I'm VERY happy I just waited and didn't use my upgrade.

Upvote 0
The truly older phones were not up to the task spec wise as far as processing power and having enough memory, but the phones that people consider "old" now days are more than adequate for most anything, excerpt maybe the highest-end games. Really, anything with 1GHz or above and a decent amount of memory should do what most people want and need it to do, especially if it is a phone with a good dev community/ROM support.

Upvote 0
i am having a hard time .. deciding to use my upgrade .. from my OG EVO on MikG ROM.

i need a big reason to jump... and spend $$

but the OP has an E3D... i dont get why not... use the 3D and keep the OG for backup???
Don't get me wrong, the Evo 3D is a great phone, but it crashed on me (black screen of death). So I rooted it. After rooting it, I found out I couldn't take screenshots on it, unless I updated to a newer version of HTC Sense...which would remove my root.

On top of that, I wanted to wait for newer GB ROMs to come out for the Evo 3D that would be super stable but without HTC Sense.

While waiting to do that, I switched back to my Evo 4G...rocking the awesome CM7, with everything working exactly the way I like it. In comparing the two, albeit inadvertently because I had not planned to go back to the Evo 4G, I discovered that I really love my Evo 4G and it does pretty much everything I need it to.

The Evo 3D was definitely slightly smoother / faster, but the Evo 4G was definitely no slouch.

So bottom line, while waiting to fix my Evo 3D and its issues, I found perfect bliss in my Evo 4G - totally unexpected. :D

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0
I was contemplating starting a similar thread when my phone turned one year old last month. I had my HTC Desire Z since last November. It's done everything I need it to do a more since day one. I'm as happy with it now as I was when I first got it. Even with all of these dual core phones with higher resolution screens out now a days, there hasn't been a phone out that makes me want to switch even if I didn't have to pay to get a new one.

Upvote 0
everyone has their own opinions on everything!

and if you dont know now.. you will know after you purchase a phone for 2 yr contract...that we suggested and really hate it

you got to go out..
- find a carrier and price you like. (dont select a carrier based on a phone!)
- then go out to that carrier's shop and play with android phones. pay close attention to the UI "user interface"
- think of your "must haves" and "wants"
- if you still need help selecting.. then come here and ask again... and tell us what you found

:eek:
Thanks! I

Upvote 0
Personally I think the evo 4g was one of the greatest androids to date. I would even go as far as to say the other evos out there (3d, design, and shift) do not deserve to hold the evo name. Still waiting for an actual evo 2 to arrive.

Which price range are we talking about here? Mind you that I would rather spend some more money now for a phone that I

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones