• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thievin' B@stads app.

I've been asking this for some time...

Can anyone answer this?
Is there a way to deny these txt's

On the other topic, isn't it a little fishy that the txts are from another country?

It's likely just where the server is located or something.

It sure wouldn't seem that Mobile Defense would send international texts, as it's only available in the US...but I have no proof of that until I get my new bill

Upvote 0
You could check online, I suppose... then again, is it really that big of a deal? I honestly would pay more than .20 cents to find the person that is holding my phone...

Now I just need an app that makes the phone turn into a taser when I send a txt to it... lol.

wait... MN people are allowed to have phones like this? I didn't think they let yankees have toys like this?!?!!

Upvote 0
Cool cool... I always prefered that area... Spent a lot of time down there (Rochester on down) during the spring. Hung out with friends down there in the rest of the year.

I always hated the twin cities though, Too many people.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Only reason to go there is for sporting events, or to go anywhere farther north lol

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Oh - and I thought I read that the free version wouldn't hook GPS RX on.... Finding other information that turning GPS on is restricted via Android API. I'm sure there's going to be a 'tweak' for that!

Thought I'd post an update to this thread... I received an E-mail from the author of "Where's My Droid".

"toggling the GPS is not an option on any phone because google does not allow apps to toggle gps." :(

Upvote 0
Thought I'd post an update to this thread... I received an E-mail from the author of "Where's My Droid".

"toggling the GPS is not an option on any phone because google does not allow apps to toggle gps." :(

I don't think it's such a big deal really. From what I can tell, you can leave the GPS on, and as long as the icon doesn't show up at the top, the GPS isn't being used by an app. I know that was an issue before the MR, with the icon never shutting off, but it appears to have been fixed with that MR.

Upvote 0
looks like another interesting one:

https://www.mylookout.com

Haven't played with it yet, but I might later.

EDIT: Not a fan of lookout. Seems to run constantly. While there's a few more options than Mobile Defense, I don't like that it runs in the foreground continuously, and leaves an icon in the taskbar. I tried to locate my phone, and it couldn't even pick it up, even though Mobile Defense picked it up very well, in the exact same location (so I'm certain the GPS would work just fine for detection, since I don't have a heck of a lot of service).

Looks like I'm sticking with Mobile Defense for now

Upvote 0
Alright, my battery has drained surprisingly fast today, and Spare Parts says Mobile Defense's use of GPS has something to do with it. I located my phone twice today, just for the fun of it, no more than 5-10 minutes at a time, and yet Spare Parts shows that Mobile Defense has used my GPS for over 4 hours, even though I haven't seen the GPS icon on for that amount of time (in fact, I haven't seen the icon on unless I'm locating it through the website). So something's a bit fishy here.

I posted a thread on MD's support page, so we'll see what kind of answers I get from there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones