• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thinking of taking my Captivate back

Just a little FYI. I'm not recommending you do this but I flashed my Captivate with the Euro Galaxy S ROM. It takes a few steps and involves flashing the Captivate kernel after flashing the Euro ROM. The point is, that ever since doing that, my GPS has worked essentially flawlessly. I get a lock (GPS not location) within seconds and it holds. Using a GPS Test app (from the Market) I get 9 satellites with 7-8 locks. The bottom line here is that it's definitely not a hardware problem, it's a software issue. This means that Samsung will definitely be able to resolve this issue with an OTA update.

Pics or Video?? I read the update did little to nothing for the GPS.

Upvote 0
Apple has better hardware than the Captivate. But the Captivate has better software.

Before you start listing examples to the contrary, I meant overall. Yes, the Captivate has a bigger screen and the Iphone has a more stable OS, but I meant overall.

What does OS have to do with hardware? The only thing the Iphone might have on the Captivate is a FFC and better GPS. This GPS unit is brand new. Its A InConsert 20751 and the Galaxy S is one of the 1st units to use this. Give it a bit to iron out the bugs or return it. Or take a look at the specs that smoke the GPS in the Iphone. http://www.eetrend.com/files-eetrend/BCM2075.pdf

Upvote 0
What does OS have to do with hardware? The only thing the Iphone might have on the Captivate is a FFC and better GPS. This GPS unit is brand new. Its A InConsert 20751 and the Galaxy S is one of the 1st units to use this. Give it a bit to iron out the bugs or return it. Or take a look at the specs that smoke the GPS in the Iphone. http://www.eetrend.com/files-eetrend/BCM2075.pdf
Unfortunately specs mean squat if they don't work.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately specs mean squat if they don't work.
Its common sense, very common sense when you are an early adopter of things there will be bugs. IE 1st model years of cars, First gen electronics, first release of software. If you want perfect buy tried and true. If you want bleeding edge then buy bleeding edge. But don't whine when your bleeding edge device has a bug. When the touch pro 1 and 2 1st launched XDA was full of these threads, now it works perfect. Iphone is now 4th gen. The iphone 2g had plenty of bugs.
http://www.applehound.com/2007/07/iphone-v1-0-bugs.html

Give it a few weeks.

Upvote 0
Its common sense, very common sense when you are an early adopter of things there will be bugs. IE 1st model years of cars, First gen electronics, first release of software. If you want perfect buy tried and true. If you want bleeding edge then buy bleeding edge. But don't whine when your bleeding edge device has a bug. When the touch pro 1 and 2 1st launched XDA was full of these threads, now it works perfect. Iphone is now 4th gen. The iphone 2g had plenty of bugs.
iPhone v1.0 Bugs - AppleHound

Give it a few weeks.
it's been a few weeks, and not a word from Samsung

Upvote 0
iPhone v1.0 Bugs - AppleHound

Give it a few weeks.

Well, I can understand that, but this is not the first android phone, and this is not samsungs first phone.

Upvote 0
I'm not talking about a fix, I'm talking about a simple acknowledgment of an issue, idiot.

Calling someone an idiot is hardly going to help this thread. There are several threads on several sites where people have been told by Samsung that they are aware of the issue and the know the solution. You can choose to either wait it out or move on.

Pics or Video?? I read the update did little to nothing for the GPS.

I can promise you that I tried every known combination of settings and none of them worked. I flashed the i9000 ROM and so far the GPS has been almost perfect. I did not change any settings at all after flashing. If others are saying they still have issue, I don't know why. You can either believe it or not, I don't have the time to do a video as I'm leaving for vacation after work today.

Upvote 0
Apple has better hardware than the Captivate. But the Captivate has better software.

Before you start listing examples to the contrary, I meant overall. Yes, the Captivate has a bigger screen and the Iphone has a more stable OS, but I meant overall.

What? No way. I see it completely the opposite.

Captivate has better hardware, in the sense that is actually works (minus the GPS of course) but signal is much much better, no prox. sensor issues or antenneagate issues. I have not dropped ONE call since using the Captivate for the last 4 days. With the iPhone, I would have dropped at least one call per day by now, probably more. And that's of the calls I could make because a lot of times it just wouldn't dial out...it was so frustrating.

Software though...as in the UI and the apps, Apple wins hands down...from the browser, to the Mail app, to the App store to the overall look, polish, and feel. That's my only gripe with the Captivate...the way the UI looks and the way the apps work/look. I know you can change a lot of it but it's becoming a little tiresome trying to find the right apps/skins to make it look how I like it, which is the look of iOS. I've had to get a new SMS program, a new Mail program and I still dont like the calendar. Even the SMS and Mail programs Im not 100% happy with how I was with iOS.

Upvote 0
Calling someone an idiot is hardly going to help this thread. There are several threads on several sites where people have been told by Samsung that they are aware of the issue and the know the solution. You can choose to either wait it out or move on.

I can promise you that I tried every known combination of settings and none of them worked. I flashed the i9000 ROM and so far the GPS has been almost perfect. I did not change any settings at all after flashing. If others are saying they still have issue, I don't know why. You can either believe it or not, I don't have the time to do a video as I'm leaving for vacation after work today.

Fair enough...

How did you get the ROM to work? There are a few differences in hardware between the Euro Version and Captivate (only 3 buttons, a track pad)? Also are you planning to flash the new leaded Froyo ROM?

Upvote 0
Fair enough...

How did you get the ROM to work? There are a few differences in hardware between the Euro Version and Captivate (only 3 buttons, a track pad)? Also are you planning to flash the new leaded Froyo ROM?

There is a Galaxy S i9000 thread over on XDA in the Captivate Android Development sub-forum that explains the steps in detail. Basically, you load the i9000 ROM and the flash the Captivate kernel and 512 pit file before first boot. I may flash Froyo depending on whether they can get everything to work.

Upvote 0
What? No way. I see it completely the opposite.

I'm talking about the overall design, not the reported problems. Both phones have problems.

In terms of software, I find the Captivate far superior: widgets, live wallpapers, out-of-the-box openness, flexibility and customizability, not to mention it's not married to iTunes. And it's integrated with Gmail.

In terms of hardware, I find the iPhone sturdier, and the size design seems to have achieved this perfect compromise between bulkiness and screen size (i.e. you don't want it too big because it's gotta fit in your pocket, but you don't want it too small because you wanna be able to enjoy the screen).

One thing I don't understand about the iPhone design is that Apple seems to have wasted a lot of real estate in the top and bottom parts of the phone, which could have been used to make the screen even bigger without changing the size of the phone.

Upvote 0
There is a Galaxy S i9000 thread over on XDA in the Captivate Android Development sub-forum that explains the steps in detail. Basically, you load the i9000 ROM and the flash the Captivate kernel and 512 pit file before first boot. I may flash Froyo depending on whether they can get everything to work.

Let us know if you do flash it... I'd like to but want someone else to be the guinea pig to make sure it won't brick. :D

Upvote 0
I'm talking about the overall design, not the reported problems. Both phones have problems.

In terms of software, I find the Captivate far superior: widgets, live wallpapers, out-of-the-box openness, flexibility and customizability, not to mention it's not married to iTunes. And it's integrated with Gmail.

In terms of hardware, I find the iPhone sturdier, and the size design seems to have achieved this perfect compromise between bulkiness and screen size (i.e. you don't want it too big because it's gotta fit in your pocket, but you don't want it too small because you wanna be able to enjoy the screen).

One thing I don't understand about the iPhone design is that Apple seems to have wasted a lot of real estate in the top and bottom parts of the phone, which could have been used to make the screen even bigger without changing the size of the phone.

Its all personal preference.

I love iTunes, it makes syncing my music so easy, as well as my contacts and such, I dont see any problem with it. What do you not like about it?

As far as the other stuff, I do like some widgets like the ability to change the screen brightness real quick or shut off wifi and the twitter widget.
The rest I can certainly do without...live wallpapers? What good is that really? I think it just makes it look busy/cluttered and uses more battery. The flexibility/customizing is a good idea but its not always done well and since there doesnt seem to be much of a review process, there isnt much consistency in the resolution/size of icons and such.

Hardware wise, yes, the iPhone feels much sturdier but I dont find it comfortable at all. The sides are too sharp, they dig into your hand, just doesnt feel good in my hand. I really prefer the feel of the Captivate. The screen is far better on the iPhone in my opinion though, much much crisper.

Upvote 0
It has been 10 days since the captivate was released. 10. Not weeks, not months, one week and 3 days. Give Samsung some time. Not all software problems in the world could be fixed in less than 10 days, shocking, I know.
It's true that the Captivate has only been out for 10 days, but the Galaxy S has the same issues and it has been out for more than 6 weeks and Samsung hasn't even confirmed the issues with the original. I guess the best thing right now is that all of the Galaxy S devices have the same problems so maybe more people complaining will mean a faster fix.

Upvote 0
Tell us how it goes down after you do so we can know exactly what they refund (hopefully everything but the restocking fee). I might return mine as well. As much as I like this phone and Android, these both have some serious problems

I didn't return the Captivate yesterday but did this morning and received a full refund. I was not charged the $35.00 restocking fee.

As to the problems with the Captivate, I'm sure most of them will be solved in a few months, hopefully by the end of the year. But like other posters I decided not to take a chance and miss the 30 day return window. Yes, one week is a short time to test the phone but I didn't want to take a chance that the phone could be damaged.

I will certainly look at the Captivate again and other Android phones as well by the end of the year. In the mean time I can use my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS or Blackberry Bold 9000.

P.S. I did read a report yesterday that a pre-release of Froyo was available for the Captivate. So Samsung appears to be preparing to upgrade the phone in the next few months. Hopefully this will fix some of the problems I and others have identified.

Upvote 0
What reason did you give? I'm just wondering if the restocking fee is waived if "here's my list of issues with the phone" is used instead of a plain "I want to return it".

I told them it was because of the GPS not working and that I'd consider getting it again in the future if the problem was fixed. The sales guy hadn't heard of the problem. Neither have the manager. Granted this is in the AT&T HEADQUARTERS building in downtown Dallas. But I digress....

Yeah. They didn't give me any trouble in returning it.

Upvote 0

You will not be able to flash Froyo on the Captivate properly, because there is no Captivate kernel that works with the Froyo PDA. If you use the i9000 kernel, the screen will be rotated 90 degrees, the buttons will be mixed up, and there will be some other issues. This is also the reason why us Captivate owners can't yet patch in the kernel with the mimocan speed fix. Once a Fryo compatible Captivate kernel is leaked, or when Samsung releases thesource code for the current kernel, we will see some progress for custom roms on Captivate.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones