• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

This is a really bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as people try to stay civil, and do not feed trolls, I see no problem with a political section. I enjoy seeing people with differing views than myself. I like seeing their reasons for disagreeing with me, and perhaps they are right.

That's the problem though. People treat politics like ford vs chevy or packers vs rams. They get passionate about a party without having a clue why Just because they made the decision and they are going to defend their decision over what their party stands for? When you don't know why you are arguing for Dems, Reps etc then you resort to name calling, belittling and general 5th grade behavior. From my POV when that happens I drop out because there is no reasoning with the unreasonable. Politics are like religion a disaster waiting to happen.

Upvote 0
For the most part I agree with you, Crude. You should at least give people the chance to disappoint you instead of putting them in time out before they do anything wrong. There's a chance we could see the next David Duke or Ted Kennedy in here but at least you know who to avoid.

People don't normally wear signs that say "bigot," "anarchist," or "ignoramus" but some of us can help the rest of us clearly see that we fit into those categories. If someone gets hurt feelings in this section, they are stupid. I would have said the politically incorrect word that fit better but the PC police can't let you use words anymore. It is fun getting smacked by filters when you try to describe the original function for asbestos...

My point is, politics is best described by my favorite joke about it.
Poli = many
Tics = bloodsucking insects

Too bad the spelling doesn't work out, but it's still funny because it's so true. We are strangers on the internet. Discussing issues that are important to some people can bring us closer or alienate us further. We're giving each other the chance to expose ourselves to each other. (Get your mind out of the gutter because it is way too easy to bring me in there with you.) In so doing, we're opening ourselves up for acceptance or rejection. There's an opportunity to grow.

I don't want to give that up for the fear of being rejected.

Upvote 0
I would like to point out that religion, politics and racial topics are a terrible idea on forums. I actively participate in 6 forums and these topics will inevitable degenerate into flaming and hard feelings.

Just a suggestion.

If someone is overly sensitive to such issues they have no business entering these particular topics. We have the right to discuss, and yes, disagree on the topics at hand. I would never hold it against someone for disagreeing with me.

Except, of course, when I am right...:rolleyes: (jk)

Upvote 0
If someone is overly sensitive to such issues they have no business entering these particular topics. We have the right to discuss, and yes, disagree on the topics at hand. I would never hold it against someone for disagreeing with me.

Except, of course, when I am right...:rolleyes: (jk)

This is a privately owned forum. The owner retains the right to allow or disallow anything he/she wants. Freedom of speech does not apply therefor we have no right to discuss anything. Generally though I agree with you however people are overly sensitive! Just look at the whole political correctness thing our society has going! I say call em as you see em. That's how I my name, Crude.

Upvote 0
That's the problem though. People treat politics like ford vs chevy or packers vs rams.

That is a really great point. I view it much more personal than that. My passion is the Constitution. My religion is Freedom. My hobby that supports my views on the other two is history.

Which essentially makes me a Libertarian. Unfortunately, a vote for a Libertarian is like throwing your vote away. And since the Democratic party since ~1964 has become the antithesis of Freedom and the Constitution, I'm left voting for Republicans.

Upvote 0
I will take it that you are all splitting the bills 4 ways. Anytime you are in a situation of sharing, where money is concerned, you always like to have a paper trail.
What I mean by that, is that the worst thing you can do is just toss in your share of the bills in cash. You would have no proof if any one of the others ever said, "Hey, you didn't give me your share of the rent this month!"
I would say, always pay your share with a check, so you have a paper trail.
Same goes for the 4 of you as a group, always pay bills by either a check, credit card, money order, etc., never pay by cash (again you have no paper trail proof)
Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
When i was young & in the police academy my law instructor had said to us that once we were on the street with that shield we had to have a thicker skin. People would be hurling all kinds of insults at us but thats not against the law, and more or less we'd have to take it.

People used to be able to discuss & disagree and then go on their ways, still friends. Today the skins are too thin, everyone finding offence at what sometimes seems everything. If u disagree, even if i feel i'm the enlightened one, if i have no counterpoint to make it's easier to just call someone else racist/sexist/homophobic etc.... I just rolled my eyes skyward when i read that article last week about a school teacher wanting to engage in whats tantamount to espionage by infiltrating tea party demonstrations and wanting to get as much camera time as possible by dressing as hitler, shouting Ni**er etc.

If these guys are whackos it'll come to light soon enough. Infighting like that benefits someone, theres reasons it's poked, prodded & enticed to continue. Someone stands to gain from all the division

Upvote 0
When i was young & in the police academy my law instructor had said to us that once we were on the street with that shield we had to have a thicker skin. People would be hurling all kinds of insults at us but thats not against the law, and more or less we'd have to take it.

People used to be able to discuss & disagree and then go on their ways, still friends. Today the skins are too thin, everyone finding offence at what sometimes seems everything. If u disagree, even if i feel i'm the enlightened one, if i have no counterpoint to make it's easier to just call someone else racist/sexist/homophobic etc.... I just rolled my eyes skyward when i read that article last week about a school teacher wanting to engage in whats tantamount to espionage by infiltrating tea party demonstrations and wanting to get as much camera time as possible by dressing as hitler, shouting Ni**er etc.

If these guys are whackos it'll come to light soon enough. Infighting like that benefits someone, theres reasons it's poked, prodded & enticed to continue. Someone stands to gain from all the division

I wish that every time some one said some thing so off the wall I could just leave it be and figure no one would be so ignorant to believe that. But you and I both know that's not the case. If no one makes a point to the contrary they people will believe what they see as truth.

As far as tea party, I have yet to see anything "bad" about these guys. A lot of claims that are either unsubstantiated or flat out "planted". I just don't know why anyone would be against the tea party...do people really want to pay more taxes? Really? OR are the people benefiting from not having a job the real voice of the opposition?

Upvote 0
I disagree. Political Opinions are the staple of our society. The internet is a great place for many people to gather together and exchange information and opinions. This includes Political Opinions. If we can't exchange opinions, it would hinder the growth of our society.

And if people can't offer their own opinion without attacking others, then their opinion shouldn't be heard.

Upvote 0
Totally agree with the privately owned forum comment. As for the Tea Party, the idea is great but I think its been pushed and pulled in a lot of diff directions then it was intended. I remember being so disappointed, I showed up to a Meetup for Ron Paul last election and found myself surrounded by conspiracy theorist 9/11 truthers who were as close to crazy as I have ever seen. Then I realized most of the support for Ron Paul were those same seemingly crazy people. Ron's message was wonderful, with the potential to reach quite a few people, but due to his supporters was ruined IMO

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones