• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Three data tethering for rural broadband

Hi all.

Hopefully someone can help.

I live on a farm and for yonks I've had to put up with awful, inconsistent broadband speed. Max download speed is about 100kbs, which isn't far from dial up, and that's when it doesn't cut out. Satellite broadband is an overpriced disaster, leaving me with the 4G option for my home broadband, since 4G signal here is, in general, very good.

As a heavy internet user (largely due to my job), I need more than the max data allowance on Three's 4G mobile broadband which is 40gb a month. As I'm sure most of us know, with their phone sim however they offer free unlimited data, but will block this if using over 30gb when tethered.

I saw this: https://androidforums.com/threads/how-to-bypass-tethering-block-on-three-network.542650/page-14

And wondered if just setting up a new APN as the post suggests is still valid? As otherwise I have pretty much non-existent broadband through the phone line. I'm really keen to get more than 40gb allowance, and don't see many other options.

Cheers all :)

If you did that... and three noticed, you would be in breach of your contract with them, so they could come after you and charge you retrospectively for the use outside your bundle...

#justsaying

three are perfectly happy with the techincal measures they have put in place. they are not going to come after you and charge you retrospectively.

Ive used a dongle for ayce data and still do to this day. No one plan. Nothing is said and, i doubt anything will ever be said.

Sure i'll get the smile wiped off my face when i get a bill for 1 million quid.

Upvote 0
Didn't say the would.. didn't say they wouldn't..

... they could.

Its all about how much risk you want to take, and if you think its worth mitigating*

*which is true about pretty much anything in life.

believe me, its not much of a risk, ive been doing this for a long time, using it in a dongle and with the modified routing table.

if they were able to detect it, they would have done it already.

sorry if my post sounded off. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones