• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Time for an upgrade, need some advice

So I've been a reader of this website for quite sometime, and I finally broke down and made an account because I need some help from members like you on my next device.

I am an anti-Apple person, so clearly I've been wanting an Android phone for some time now. Problem is, I'm AT&T. Really my only option for awhile was the Nexus One, but I don't think I have $500 in my budget to spend on a phone.

Then I saw that the Captivate was soon to be on the market, and so far the reviews have been good. But I really need some tech opinions here.

My only problem with the Captivate is the UI, which is one of the main reasons I've wanted the Nexus One. I've watched so many videos of the cyanogen mods and how that phone is just a beast. I'm wondering if it will be an option for this phone. Is there anyway to delete the UI to make this phone more into a Nexus One type machine, or am I stuck? Or does it even make a difference?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

You can certainly replace touchwiz 3 with a home replacement app. I think LauncherPro is very android like except for its little dock. If you check the unboxing thread you'll see one of the unboxers replaced the main UI and even put on the Nexus One Live wallpaper.

Also if you check the TVout thread the person doing TV out has the same launcher with nexus one live wallpaper.

welcome to the boards and good luck!

Upvote 0
I had a Nexus One briefly and had frequently problems with the touchscreen. I am planning on picking up a Captivate to give Android another shot. There are known hardware quirks in what is used in the N1 that appears to have been improved in later devices, so I'd take that into account as well.

My issues:
The pad of my hand below my thumb would always wind up touching part of the screen and causing multi-touch actions to occur when I tried to scroll with one hand.

Sometimes my fingertips would be touching the border and the phone would still register a touch on that side, so when I would go to touch an icon or what not on one side of the screen, it would try to select something on the opposite side.

Just some FYI...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones