• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tim's Evo V 4G Tweaks - 3,800+ In Quadrant!!!

(Edit Existing Line) dalvik.vm.dexopt-flags=m=v,o=y

I think this line is swapped up. Should be o=v and m=y, right?

The possible options are:

From the Dalvik source:
Code:
 131     /* Parse the options. */
 132     if (dexoptFlagStr[0] != '\0') {
 133         const char* opc;
 134         const char* val;
 136         opc = strstr(dexoptFlagStr, "v=");      /* verification */
 137         if (opc != NULL) {
 138             switch (*(opc+2)) {
 139             case 'n':   verifyMode = VERIFY_MODE_NONE;          break;
 140             case 'r':   verifyMode = VERIFY_MODE_REMOTE;        break;
 141             case 'a':   verifyMode = VERIFY_MODE_ALL;           break;
 142             default:                                            break;
 143             }
 144         }
 146         opc = strstr(dexoptFlagStr, "o=");      /* optimization */
 147         if (opc != NULL) {
 148             switch (*(opc+2)) {
 149             case 'n':   dexOptMode = OPTIMIZE_MODE_NONE;        break;
 150             case 'v':   dexOptMode = OPTIMIZE_MODE_VERIFIED;    break;
 151             case 'a':   dexOptMode = OPTIMIZE_MODE_ALL;         break;
 152             case 'f':   dexOptMode = OPTIMIZE_MODE_FULL;        break;
 153             default:                                            break;
 154             }
 155         }
 157         opc = strstr(dexoptFlagStr, "m=y");     /* register map */
 158         if (opc != NULL) {
 159             dexoptFlags |= DEXOPT_GEN_REGISTER_MAPS;
 160         }
 162         opc = strstr(dexoptFlagStr, "u=");      /* uniprocessor target */
 163         if (opc != NULL) {
 164             switch (*(opc+2)) {
 165             case 'y':   dexoptFlags |= DEXOPT_UNIPROCESSOR;     break;
 166             case 'n':   dexoptFlags |= DEXOPT_SMP;              break;
 167             default:                                            break;
 168             }
 169         }
 170     }

Upvote 0
If you flash over the build prop, beware, you may break a few things.

Some roms are identifying the phone as Evo 3d as opposed to Evo V, this allows a few extra apps to run. Changing this, if you have one of those apps, will make it disappear in market and may no restore on backup.

Another thing that can happen is one roms that use Goo Manager for updates, such as Harmonia and JMZ's roms, you will break the update system and no longer be notified of updates.

Almost all of these tweaks are already inside a few roms (in Harmonia some tweaks were left out because I was unhappy with how they acted). Be sure to find out before you start flashing anything as you may not accomplish anything.

Upvote 0
Now compare that to the ARM Cortex-A15-based Snapdragon S4, which pulls over 100 (not kidding) PER core on Linpack @ 1.5 GHz. It also seems that the TI OMAP processors are a little faster than our MSM 8660 (correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the CPU in the EVO 3D/V 4G) per clock. Nowadays, everything performance is about performance per clock. That means a 1.5 dual core can be wildly different in performance from another 1.5 dual core depending on the underlying CPU architecture itself. Our Snapdragon S3 is based on ARM Cortex-A8, which is an older technology. The Exynos and TI OMAP chips are based on ARM Cortex-A9, and the S4 is based on ARM Cortex-A15. That's why the DROID RAZR runs at 1.2 GHz but I've seen Linpack multithreaded scores of around 95 MFLOPS on that thing.

I swear, you totally can't tell I'm about to start my PhD in computer architecture ;)

Upvote 0
If you flash over the build prop, beware, you may break a few things.

Some roms are identifying the phone as Evo 3d as opposed to Evo V, this allows a few extra apps to run. Changing this, if you have one of those apps, will make it disappear in market and may no restore on backup.

Another thing that can happen is one roms that use Goo Manager for updates, such as Harmonia and JMZ's roms, you will break the update system and no longer be notified of updates.

Almost all of these tweaks are already inside a few roms (in Harmonia some tweaks were left out because I was unhappy with how they acted). Be sure to find out before you start flashing anything as you may not accomplish anything.

The best way to flash build prop tweaks is to flash an Init.d script that uses the command "setprop". That way the build.prop file wont get overwritten, but new lines will be added.

On another note, which tweaks were you unhappy with? I need to know in case some tweaks are causing problems.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones