• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help to switch or not to switch to Sprint new promo, half off

espazz

Lurker
Dec 30, 2014
Hello,

I have been debating for hours, or 2 weeks now... I'd love to get my cell phone bill lower but at what cost?

I pay 87.28 on Verizon. 450 minutes (occasionally go over) 1000 texts, (never go over 350) and Yes, UNLIMITED 4G LTE DATA (regularly use 13-35 gbs a month, occasionally go over 50, but I could but never use my home wifi....) My Verizon speeds in Minneapolis on average are 17-26mbs 4g. Sometimes going over 35. I stream video and use Paid Foxfi app to Hotspot unlimited data as well.

I own my HTC one m7 and do not have insurance, can't get a new phone for the upgrade price at Verizon as I would then have to renew and lose unlimited data I pay $29.99 for, 2gbs now cost $30!!!! The phone lags horribly even after multiple factory resets and the camera can't focus unless in macro mode and within 7 inches of objects. Don't know why.

I all but signed the dotted line in the Sprint store 2 weeks ago because I found out you can not buy the phone outright on their new half price promotional. My bill would not be cut in half as I would have to lease or finance the new phone through them. I was thinking of getting the galaxy s5 so I could root and pop a hot spot and I like the ifared too. If I switch my bill would still be under $ 69. Compared to 87.
My Co workers in Minneapolis average 10-16mbs on sprint4g .

Is it worth saving $18 a month to have unlimited talk text and data on sprint and getting a phone that works right with a good camera? Or purchase a good 4G phone that can hot spot on Verizon (rooted or not).

Other ideas? Phone recommendations? Suggested insurance \warranty programs if i purchase a slightly used phone?

Avoid Sprint like the plague. Poor customer service, spotty coverage and a network that's a mismash of old technology. Choice of phones is only fair.

If T-Mobile has good coverage in your area, they have very good prices, an all LTE Advanced network, WiFi calling, nice choice of phones and are very BYOD friendly if you want to use a phone they don't offer. I've been with T-Mobile 17 years and never regretted it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones