• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Toast (?) messages

Thanks for the input.
The device has 8gig Ram, with around 50gig free.
The messages are coming from at least three apps with the same behavior which was perfectly reasonable before the update, but is now really annoying as the messages overlay the on-screen key board.
I don't see how the apk can help me in my circumstances, so I will leave that for now.
I will check any app updates just in the (very unlikely) case that they are doing something untoward.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

This may help to identify the exact apps the toast messages are coming from.

https://m.apkpure.com/toast-source/pl.revanmj.toastsource

Also, in my experience, lagging toast messages can be caused by a device that is overfull.

A good rule of thumb is to leave as much empty memory as the device has RAM.

Upvote 0
If you already know what apps are causing the toasts, then find them in settings, apps, show all, show system, and then deny permission to overlay.

If you are not using these apps anyway, just disable them.

If you are using them, then you may be stuck with it.

This is but one reason why I avoid 'security updates' like The Plague.
Usually it is only forced updates to useless app I don't even want, and as an extra bonus they get permissions and 'features' that make me want them even less.

You may be able to downgrade these apps to their previous state, but all data for them will be erased.
Also, it is a bit involved and tedious.

I use Uptodown, https://en.uptodown.com/ (the app is needed) to find the app(s) and then try to install a version earlier than what is on the device.
You cant do that with a system app, but it CAN erase any updates to that app if you try to uninstall.
(Installing another version is not needed, just the deletion of the updates.)

Upvote 0
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Like you I avoid updates unless absolutely vital. I have been ignoring this one for several months, until I thought I could ignore it no longer.
I will try out your suggestions and see how far it gets me.
I really would like to continue using at least two of these apps so, as you say, I may eventually have to live with the inconvenience. Such is life.

If you already know what apps are causing the toasts, then find them in settings, apps, show all, show system, and then deny permission to overlay.

If you are not using these apps anyway, just disable them.

If you are using them, then you may be stuck with it.

This is but one reason why I avoid 'security updates' like The Plague.
Usually it is only forced updates to useless app I don't even want, and as an extra bonus they get permissions and 'features' that make me want them even less.

You may be able to downgrade these apps to their previous state, but all data for them will be erased.
Also, it is a bit involved and tedious.

I use Uptodown, https://en.uptodown.com/ (the app is needed) to find the app(s) and then try to install a version earlier than what is on the device.
You cant do that with a system app, but it CAN erase any updates to that app if you try to uninstall.
(Installing another version is not needed, just the deletion of the updates.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones