• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tomorrow: DROID or ERIS?

I have neither phone, though have spent considerable time with both. I often buy the best just because it is the best and find later that I didn't really need the higher res screen, or the faster processor, etc. I am not saying the Moto is the best, but the specs would steer most towards that conclusion. That said, I would buy the Eris if I had to make the decision today based on the fact that it does everything I need it to do in a smaller package. Play with the phones like everyone suggests, but if you carry your phone in your front pocket like I do, I don't think you are going to be too happy with the Moto. Good luck with your decision if it isn't made yet.

Upvote 0
If playing games interests you, let me steer you towards the Droid. I found some pretty awesome NES, SNES, and Genesis emulators on the marketplace, but without a physical keyboard, playing them is pretty useless. I would have enjoyed playing all those ROMs, but I'll be alright without it.

I've been playing with the Gameboid and Snesoid emutators on the Eris and they work great. I wrote the developer with some suggestions that would make it more usable on the Eris and in a matter of days he had implemented them and more! Pretty nice guy.

He made the trackball usable as a d-pad. You can map the trackball press, call, menu, back and volume buttons to keys. The tilt sensor can be used to move left and right. Great for Mario and side scrollers! There are also touch screen controls if you want them.

My Eris battery life has been pretty good. I can make it through a full day if I'm not gaming and surfing too much, but I got a two USB charger for the car so I can charge my phone and my ipod if I ever really need to. I chose the Eris over the Droid for the low barrier to entry price and the size. I just don't want that big phone in my pocket.

And I didn't like the Droid keyboard. It was so flat that I might as well just get used to the touch screen keypad. The specs are good enough for me on the Eris and now HTC has confirmed via their twitter that turn by turn Google Navigation is coming. Mileage may vary, but that's what I needed. :)

Upvote 0
For me, the MAJOR difference was the weight. If you carry your phone in you pocket like me, the difference is huge. Try this ... go to the verizon store and ask if you can walk around for a while with one of each in each pocket ... and then RUN for the door :)

OK - just kidding about running out the door :)

Upvote 0
Try this ... go to the verizon store and ask if you can walk around for a while with one of each in each pocket

Great advice; I did the same thing. Didn't take all that long to know I would have to have cargo shorts/pants on all the time to be comfortable carrying around the moto. If you carry it on your belt or in a purse, obviously this isn't all that important.

Upvote 0
I had the droid,didn't notice that much of a performance difference. If you prefer a lighter phone go with the eris.Also, I can see that sliding keyboard causing problems in the future.I only had it for a couple of weeks and loosen up enough from use that i was always closing it.It always worked its way loose from being handled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones