• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Trouble after voodoo removal attempt -- help please.

deltido

Sep 27, 2010
SOLVED

Okay so I wanted to test out the new "BareBones Kernel TEST20". The first step is to remove voodoo if you have it, so:

1. I went into Root Explorer and created the disable_lagfix file in SDcard\Voodoo\.

2. I then turned off the phone, turned it on, and heard the sexy robot voice say a few things. I saw the verizon screen for about 5 minutes.

3. Now the phone has been sitting with a black screen and all softbuttons lit up for well over an hour. I'm afraid to turn it off because the instructions for BareBones installation says the reboot after putting the disable_lagfix in the directory, will take ''forever'' -- he didn't really specify how long, but I doubt it's supposed to be over an hour.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Edit: I couldn't turn it off by the right side button, so I pulled the battery. I turned it back on heard the robot voice again and saw the normal bootscreen. Then the Verizon logo showed up for about 2-3 minutes, the screen now sits black (no backlit buttons) -- not sure if it's still doing it's thing or just gave up :p.

Edit 2
: Anybody else that's having the issue where they reboot the phone and hear the robot lady say "Data Partition Wipe Detected" -->boot logo -->verizon thing for 2 minutes or so --> black screen. I had to:

1. take out battery, and put it back in
2. hold down vol up/down and power until you see "Samsung" then the screen will blink and a second "Samsung" that looks the same as the first will pop-up...At this point you should let go of the power button (and keep holding the vol up/down buttons).
3. You will then see the original Recovery screen, from which you can select the option to wipe.
4. Use the volume rockers to move up/down in the menu press the home button for selecting options.
5. After the restore you will probably have to do a factory reset for things to work right, I would first backup all the contents of your SD card to your PC (I personally made a folder right on my C:\FascinateSDBackup).
6. To do factory reset go to your homescreen, press menu softbutton>privacy>factory data reset.
7. You should be good to go, now it's time to restore all your backed up info.

Okay so I wanted to test out the new "BareBones Kernel TEST20". The first step is to remove voodoo if you have it, so:

1. I went into Root Explorer and created the disable_lagfix file in SDcard\Voodoo\.

2. I then turned off the phone, turned it on, and heard the sexy robot voice say a few things. I saw the verizon screen for about 5 minutes.

3. Now the phone has been sitting with a black screen and all softbuttons lit up for well over an hour. I'm afraid to turn it off because the instructions for BareBones installation says the reboot after putting the disable_lagfix in the directory, will take ''forever'' -- he didn't really specify how long, but I doubt it's supposed to be over an hour.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Edit: I couldn't turn it off by the right side button, so I pulled the battery. I turned it back on heard the robot voice again and saw the normal bootscreen. Then the Verizon logo showed up for about 2-3 minutes, the screen now sits black (no backlit buttons) -- not sure if it's still doing it's thing or just gave up :p.
Yeah it should take no more than 15 minutes to revert back from vooodoo and now almost assuredly you have the soft brick and will need to restore via odin et al. Sucks I know but many of us have done it and within an hour you can be back up and relatively back to normal :( I do feel the pain my friend .

This is half the reason Im waiting till they add in the voodoo element.

Upvote 0
Yeah it should take no more than 15 minutes to revert back from vooodoo and now almost assuredly you have the soft brick and will need to restore via odin et al. Sucks I know but many of us have done it and within an hour you can be back up and relatively back to normal :( I do feel the pain my friend .

This is half the reason Im waiting till they add in the voodoo element.

Thanks saps, you're such a good guy (from what I've seen around the forums). I have gotten back to stock. I've a question though:
I did have a backup done through rom manager, do I have to get voodoo kernel installed before restoring that backup because it had voodoo kernel? Or, will the restoration of the backup bring me back exactly as I was (contacts and all)?

Upvote 0
Thanks saps, you're such a good guy (from what I've seen around the forums). I have gotten back to stock. I've a question though:
I did have a backup done through rom manager, do I have to get voodoo kernel installed before restoring that backup because it had voodoo kernel? Or, will the restoration of the backup bring me back exactly as I was (contacts and all)?
Thanks for the kind words:)
Actually unless Im mistaken you cannot back up a voodoo'd image. Maybe you did and Im completely wrong. But if you are stock then you dont have voodoo now

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones