• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Trouble with Unlocked Sensation overseas

cswake

Jan 31, 2011
I'm using my unlocked, non-rooted Sensation overseas while I am visiting for an extended duration. I have the foreign SIM in my phone and am able to make/receive both phone calls and text messages. However, the data connection is not working and I have the following notification in the status bar:

Data roaming - You have lost data connectivity because you left ...
Does anyone know what I should do to get the data stream up and running?

Thanks.

Correct, USA. T-Mobile Sensation 4G specs say:

HTC Mobile Phones - Sensation? 4G
Network
HSPA+/GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900MHz
Sixth picture of the Sensation 4G box shows the specs:
T-Mobile Branded HTC Sensation 4G In The Wild!
GSM: 850,900,1800,1900 UMTS: 1700,2100,1900
I went to these sites and found matching band(s) for my provider, Oi:
1) Cellular Providers and Frequencies of Brazil | RoamTheWorldCellPhones.com
2) PrePaidGSM: Brazil
3) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks#Americas

Oi shows support for GSM 1800.

Furthermore, UMTS 2100 is the standard in Brazil (Mobile networks - GSM and 3G coverage),
shouldn't both 2G and 3G work if the phone and carrier support GSM 1800 and UMTS 2100?

Upvote 0
1. From the official site, your phone only supports 850/900/1800/1900MHz bandwidths. The second link you posted is unofficial and of course official wins. With that, you shouldnt be able to work on 2100 bands.

2. Are you sure you have your network enabled your data roaming? Not sure how it is in the US but over here (SEA) data roaming is disabled by default and we have to enable it from the provider first.

Upvote 0
1. From the official site, your phone only supports 850/900/1800/1900MHz bandwidths. The second link you posted is unofficial and of course official wins. With that, you shouldnt be able to work on 2100 bands.

2. Are you sure you have your network enabled your data roaming? Not sure how it is in the US but over here (SEA) data roaming is disabled by default and we have to enable it from the provider first.

Upvote 0
1) That second link is the picture of the Sensation 4G box that shows UMTS 2100, so isn't that pretty official? (My box was the same)
2) Under the network settings, I have the following settings:

PHP:
Data roaming - Connect todata services when roaming: Checked
Data roaming sound: Unchecked
Network Mode: CSM / WCDMA auto
Network operators: Oi
Enable always-on mobile data: Checked
Is there some Market app that can specifically choose/force the bands to use? Would rooting the phone and making it "international" so that it isn't roaming help?

Upvote 0
Don't know what APNs are, so I didn't touch them. The only thing I did do was unlock the phone, insert the international SIM, and play with the network settings.

What do I need to do?

APN stands for Access Point Names. They're the settings your phone will use to connect to the internet/send MMS if it's not connected to a wireless router.

On my handset, they're located

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names

Yours should be there or there abouts. Do you see anything that resembles the name of the network you're using with the foreign SIM in?

If not, once in that sub menu, hit the menu button, select add new APN. I can't give you the settings unfortunately, you'll have to phone the network to find out what the settings are (or google). You'll need 2 seperate pieces of information, 1 for MMS and one for internet (although the MMS isn't overly important unless you want to use it).

From the APN menu, you could also try reset to defaults if that option is available, that may read any settings that are on the SIM Card. That worked for me when I was having issues with my Mobile network & MMS.

Reactions: cswake
Upvote 0
APN is completely blank. Resetting the default leaves it blank. I guess I will reach out to the provider and follow-up here.

*UPDATE* Found the APN data and mms settings here: http://www.androidz.com.br/forum/topic/1338-como-configurar-apn-oi/ and http://n3t0l0b0.blogspot.com/2010/06/configurando-apn-no-android.html

Entering the APN for the data brought up the 3G symbol pretty fast. A quick speed test shows 951kpbs/272kbps speed...

I noticed GPRS in the data setting name, will the operator have separate settings for 3G?

Upvote 0
Got one more question, if I root the device, can I configure it for Brazil and disable roaming?

Apologies for not getting back to you yesterday, I've had a relatively busy weekend.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean? If you've a Brazillian SIM in it, is it roaming?

Generally though, I'd recommend rooting although I'm not entirely sure on the procedure for rooting the Sensation yet as I believe it's still in its infancy. Also not sure what's available in terms of ROMs etc.

I'll have a read up on it if you like?

Upvote 0
I saw the temporary ROMs. As for the issue with roaming, I was thinking that the phone is identified as a US phone and hence it is roaming since there is a Brazilian SIM.

I was thinking that too, was it bought unlocked or did you do it yourself? Also, what's your software version? Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information.

Upvote 0
sorry, I know this thread is old but I have a question.
The reason my friend is selling her phone is that the 3G doesnt work here in Belgium (phone was Tmobile officially unlocked) she tried to use the local network, put in all the right APN settings and they said that the US uses 4G and here they use 3G. Does that make sense?
Is there anything to be done that internet should work on this phone? (besides wifi?)

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones