• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trying Firefly ROM - Cant access Clockworkmod Recovery through ROM Manager

I can't really recommend one rooting method over another. (although I don't know if rage is still a viable method) When I rooted, months ago, there was a method that is no longer available. I kept the update.zip on my sd card, so even though I have flashed back to stock many times, I never had to root again.

Best bet is to go over to XDA. I believe there is a one click method available there.

Upvote 0
There is a rogers captivate stock rom that is 2.2 with root on xda. It can be done through cwm or odin. It also has a link to obtain rom manager after 2.2 is flashed.

Just curious why you never mentioned you had a canadian captivate. I would have sent you to this rom first and not the at&t rom. Regardless, this should get your phone back on treak.

Upvote 0
All good. I did a reflash in Odin to the AT&T stock, then rooted, allowed access to non-market apps in SuperOneClick (this was VERY important as the AT&T stock ROM does not allow you to select or deselect access to/from Unknown Sources) and downloaded Titanium Backup.

After that, I clicked the "Problems" button in TB so that I had a copy of BusyBox installed. I downloaded ROM Manager, flashed to clockworkmod recovery to get the latest version and rebooted to recovery.

The first time I did it, I had to reinstall packages and it actually worked (I'm pretty sure its because I had allowed non market apps in SuperOneClick) so than I was able to access the clockworkmod recovery menu and the installation of the Firefly zip from my sdcard was pretty straightforward.

YAY! :)

Thanks for your help Zonker1!! (I was up until 2am trying to figure out WTF I was doing wrong. Then it dawned on me this morning to click the allow non market apps button in SuperOneClick)

PS
Can I use ROM Manager to flash new ROMs without having to go thru Odin again?

Upvote 0
HI there I'm trying to flash the latest Firefly via ROM Manager but for some reason, when it tries to go to the Clockworkmod Recovery boot, it doesnt show up (I get the stock SAmsung recovery screen). I've tried re-installing the packages with zero luck.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be awesome.

Thanks

I came across the same problem. Use the 3 button method too boot into CWM. This worked for me.
Also, when I tried to reboot from ROM Manager, my stock recovery wouldn't allow me to select using power. Strange. Let me know if you had a similar circumstance, and/or any questions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones