• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Trying to recover deleted texts Galaxy S5. Need to root

DumDum88

Lurker
Nov 20, 2017
Hi. First I have tried searching the forum. Im new here and am finding it very hard to search the forum. Searching at the top gets me no where. I really am not a techy person. I didn't even know what root is till recently.

I have been trying to figure how to safely root my phones for weeks ( on and off). Ill research and read up on things.
Then, I did find a good thread on here about rooting, and safely doing it but now I can't find it.
I have a samsung galaxy s5 SM-G900W8. I also have an LgG4 I'm trying to root. But will save that for another time.

My end goal is to use/find a program to retrieve deleted texts, and they all say the phone as to be rooted. These are my old phones and I need to get some deleted texts back. I already tried to root the g4 with king root and it didn't work. I don't even care if its rooted I just need the texts.
Im willing to pay for this stuff as well. I just don't want to mess up the phones and am unsure which programs are good/safe to use.
I am using a Mac with the phones. Can someone please help me.

Hello and welcome!
Just a couple questions about your S5...is that model you posted for the unlocked version? Googling that model number reveals that it is unlocked?

Edit: hah, I should have remembered @ironass 's thread here:
https://androidforums.com/threads/42-galaxy-s5-models-dummies-guide.892162/
where it lists your model:
SM-G900W8
Canadian, (all branded), and Puerto Rican variant of the Galaxy S5. There are around 13 different firmwares for this model. Carriers include, Videotron, GlobalAlive Wind, Virgin (Canada), Koodoo, SaskTel, Fido, EastLink, MobilCity, Rogers, Telus and Bell.

What android version is it on? Also, what carrier?

Also, as far as retrieving deleted texts with root, that may or may not be possible, I really don't know, but I thought those texts were stored on the carriers server side, not on the device.?? That's why I'm sorta iffy about retrieving those :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello and welcome!
Just a couple questions about your S5...is that model you posted for the unlocked version? Googling that model number reveals that it is unlocked?

Edit: hah, I should have remembered @ironass 's thread here:
https://androidforums.com/threads/42-galaxy-s5-models-dummies-guide.892162/
where it lists your model:

What android version is it on? Also, what carrier?

Also, as far as retrieving deleted texts with root, that may or may not be possible, I really don't know, but I thought those texts were stored on the carriers server side, not on the device.?? That's why I'm sorta iffy about retrieving those :(

Thanks for your help :)

I know I may not get the deleted texts, but I'm going to try. All the programs need it rooted. So that will be my first step.

Its not hooked up right now. It was on Telus, but then my mom used it and think we got it unlocked. lol I cant really remember. Its says unknown under network. Android version 6.0.1

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help :)

I know I may not get the deleted texts, but I'm going to try. All the programs need it rooted. So that will be my first step.

Its not hooked up right now. It was on Telus, but then my mom used it and think we got it unlocked. lol I cant really remember. Its says unknown under network. Android version 6.0.1
Ah ok :)
When you say, "safely root" do you mean you'd rather not have the phone get reset while rooting?

Upvote 0
I suppose haha. Like I don't want it getting "bricked"!? I think thats what its called. Why? Does the phone get wiped when you root it..... Pls don't tell me it does :(
Well, as far as getting wiped, I was reading through this thread about how to root your device, on your android version:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2696537

I haven't seen anything about the device getting wiped, also, it appears you need a Windows computer to do so. From what I've read, it does not work on a Mac:(

Upvote 0
Well, as far as getting wiped, I was reading through this thread about how to root your device, on your android version:

I haven't seen anything about the device getting wiped, also, it appears you need a Windows computer to do so. From what I've read, it does not work on a Mac:(

There are so many different threads and articles and programs to root phones. Its so frustrating. I literally put an add up on my local craigslist asking to pay someone to help me. Guess ill just have to keep reading and try to figure out the best way. Thanks anyway
These texts are important. Its for a court case.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
There are so many different threads and articles and programs to root phones. Its so frustrating. I literally put an add up on my local craigslist asking to pay someone to help me. Guess ill just have to keep reading and try to figure out the best way. Thanks anyway
These texts are important. Its for a court case.
Well, from what I've read about CF root, it will not wipe your device, and ChainFire knows his shizznit ;) It appears his method will work with your device and version.

Upvote 0
Well, from what I've read about CF root, it will not wipe your device, and ChainFire knows his shizznit ;) It appears his method will work with your device and version.
Ok thank you. I will look into to those. I already had a couple pages opened about CF root. But was confused reading it. lol. Im just a girl trying to figure this shit out.
When is says make a backup, how do I do that? ( bows head in shame)

Upvote 0
Ok thank you. I will look into to those. I already had a couple pages opened about CF root. But was confused reading it. lol. Im just a girl trying to figure this shit out.
When is says make a backup, how do I do that? ( bows head in shame)
Backup (save) let's say, any pictures that you saved on your device, or music and such. Your contacts, if any (on your unconnected-to-a-carrier device) should be in your google account. I suppose that if you are not really using the device there may not be much to back up, or save ?

Edit: it may seem a little daunting at first, but once you read through the process a few times, or even watch some videos about it, it really is not too hard :)

Upvote 0
By the way, would you happen to have access to a Windows computer? I'm not familiar with Mac at all, sorry, and his files won't work on a Mac.

I could get access to one, yes. I don't really care about backing up photos and contacts. I already have all that stuff off the phone. I meant more like a back up to restore the phone If it were to get "bricked". I cant remember now but I read something about being prepared for it to possibly brick and having all the info backed up to restore, or something like that lol. All I care about on the phone are the messages. Nothing else.

Upvote 0
I could get access to one, yes. I don't really care about backing up photos and contacts. I already have all that stuff off the phone. I meant more like a back up to restore the phone If it were to get "bricked". I cant remember now but I read something about being prepared for it to possibly brick and having all the info backed up to restore, or something like that lol. All I care about on the phone are the messages. Nothing else.
Well, let's say worst case scenario is when you are rooting, it goes wonky and the device is completely unresponsive. There is firmware available to flash from Sammobile.com, but if there was any hope of retrieving texts after root, you sure are not going to find them if you flash firmware. :(

Not sure what else to offer you if you think that rooting will help retrieve texts...I honestly think that is not possible, but hey, I've been wrong before :)

Could possibly your carrier get subpoenaed to get the texts? I'm really thinking texts reside on their end and not the device.

Upvote 0
Hi. First I have tried searching the forum. Im new here and am finding it very hard to search the forum. Searching at the top gets me no where. I really am not a techy person. I didn't even know what root is till recently.

I have been trying to figure how to safely root my phones for weeks ( on and off). Ill research and read up on things.
Then, I did find a good thread on here about rooting, and safely doing it but now I can't find it.
I have a samsung galaxy s5 SM-G900W8. I also have an LgG4 I'm trying to root. But will save that for another time.

My end goal is to use/find a program to retrieve deleted texts, and they all say the phone as to be rooted. These are my old phones and I need to get some deleted texts back. I already tried to root the g4 with king root and it didn't work. I don't even care if its rooted I just need the texts.
Im willing to pay for this stuff as well. I just don't want to mess up the phones and am unsure which programs are good/safe to use.
I am using a Mac with the phones. Can someone please help me.

Just throwing this out there. If you want your devices rooted, i can do it remotely via the internet. A Mac won't work unless you have bootcamp.

Parallels etc won't work. If you get access to a Windows PC, come see me James.

www.root-android-easy.com

Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0
Just throwing this out there. If you want your devices rooted, i can do it remotely via the internet. A Mac won't work unless you have bootcamp.

Parallels etc won't work. If you get access to a Windows PC, come see me James.

www.root-android-easy.com

Thanks James. So kingo root wouldn't work through my Mac. Maybe that is why I am running into problems. Im trying to use Dr Fone. But I wonder if its a problems because I'm on a Mac. All the data recovery programs say the phone needs to be rooted.

Upvote 0
Thanks James. So kingo root wouldn't work through my Mac. Maybe that is why I am running into problems. Im trying to use Dr Fone. But I wonder if its a problems because I'm on a Mac. All the data recovery programs say the phone needs to be rooted.
Is it gonna cost me a lot to root? Im more willing to pay for the recovery process then the rooting. I can get access to a windows computer, but it is tablet and a pos

Upvote 0
Is it gonna cost me a lot to root? Im more willing to pay for the recovery process then the rooting. I can get access to a windows computer, but it is tablet and a pos
Come to my website if you want and click on the chat button, i'm online working on a Zenphone 3 deluxe now but can multitask. This way i can get information.

I can post the chat logs here.

Upvote 0

Hiiii. So I got a windows computer to use. But I was checking the cf auto root compatibility. My model is on there but the build numbers don't match. Will that matter?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones